Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1109131 times)

Fi

Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #500 on: 21 August, 2008, 12:54:20 pm »
Looks wonderful Elleigh.   :thumbsup: 'Bout time you treated yourself to a proper holiday.  Enjoy!

Elleigh

« Reply #501 on: 21 August, 2008, 12:58:33 pm »
Looks wonderful Elleigh.   :thumbsup: 'Bout time you treated yourself to a proper holiday.  Enjoy!

Thanks Fi. I promise that I'll bring you as stick of rock back :)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #502 on: 21 August, 2008, 01:00:45 pm »
Good news E!  Enjoy it, I'm not in the slightest bit jealous, honestly.  Bring me back a salmon, you are going for the fishing aren't you, or is that a picture of what you will be doing at the top of the activities page?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #503 on: 21 August, 2008, 01:09:27 pm »
I've booked my holidays :)

I'm going here to do this.

I'm going here

to do this

My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

tiermat

« Reply #504 on: 21 August, 2008, 01:12:03 pm »
So, urm, Kirst, are you going on holiday then? I get the impression that you are not too bothered about it really, you could take it or leave it.... :)

and yes I am sooooo jealous, my next proper holiday won't be until August next year (unless I get my finger out and arrange something soon)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #505 on: 21 August, 2008, 01:12:56 pm »
Oh, have I not mentioned it? I suppose with the weather being so good here this year, the prospect of a fortnight in the sun isn't really that exciting...  ;D
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Elleigh

« Reply #506 on: 21 August, 2008, 01:17:49 pm »
Teirmat - I intend to do some hiking, cycling and kayaking :)  If I can tick you a salmon from one of the lakes, I will email it to you :)

Kirst, that looks lovely.  Enjoy!

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #507 on: 21 August, 2008, 01:18:12 pm »

Enjoy!

How many trees will you be planting?  :demon:

As I have only flown 4 times in my entire life and two of those were for conservation projects I think I am in carbon deficit compared to others.

Also, as I had a stroke at the beginning of the year, this is has been my target for getting better for, I am not going to deny myself the opportunity.

I'm not the only forumer to fly to north america.

Sorry - just joshing.

Have some smilies  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D and I hope tis good fun.

There's no vibrations, but wait.

tiermat

« Reply #508 on: 21 August, 2008, 01:27:08 pm »
At last I have found a job that:
a) I enjoy
b) stretches me a bit
c) doesn't bore me to tears
d) I get on with my co-workers...
e) Once they have a laptop and secur-id sorted out for me I will be able to work from home

And at this site they have a gym, squash court, showers and miles and miles of quiet roads around it, ideal for lunchtime bike rides.  Oh and I work flexible hours(no more getting up at 05:10 for this little bunny, oh no)...

For once I am a happy bunny

Elleigh

« Reply #509 on: 21 August, 2008, 01:36:43 pm »
 :D

Well done Tiermat

Chris S

« Reply #510 on: 21 August, 2008, 02:36:45 pm »
#2 son is learning to play the theme to Wallace and Gromit on the piano - which makes the place sound happy and jolly.

Just off to the kitchen now for more Cheese and Crackers  :thumbsup:

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #511 on: 21 August, 2008, 03:00:37 pm »

Enjoy!

How many trees will you be planting?  :demon:

As I have only flown 4 times in my entire life and two of those were for conservation projects I think I am in carbon deficit compared to others.

Also, as I had a stroke at the beginning of the year, this is has been my target for getting better for, I am not going to deny myself the opportunity.

I'm not the only forumer to fly to north america.

Indeed.  I'm going here, for this.  And I'm going to hire one of these.

You may kill me when I get back ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Elleigh

« Reply #512 on: 21 August, 2008, 03:07:16 pm »

Wow are you going to hire a yellow one? (typical woman)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #513 on: 21 August, 2008, 03:09:00 pm »

Wow are you going to hire a yellow one? (typical woman)

I'd have preferred a red one, but I can cope with 436 bhp in a yellow motorcar ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #514 on: 21 August, 2008, 04:11:08 pm »
#2 son is learning to play the theme to Wallace and Gromit on the piano - which makes the place sound happy and jolly.

Just off to the kitchen now for more Cheese and Crackers  :thumbsup:

That's lovely. I remember that stage very well. I used to watch over Mark's shoulder and correct his mistakes but I realised I was getting out of my depth when he was about nine and I suggested he wasn't playing a trill correctly. He knitted his brow and said, "That's not a trill, Daddy, it's a mordent."
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

« Reply #515 on: 21 August, 2008, 04:31:58 pm »
[

Drive safely so that we have the option
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #516 on: 21 August, 2008, 07:23:05 pm »
At last I have found a job that:
a) I enjoy
b) stretches me a bit
c) doesn't bore me to tears
d) I get on with my co-workers...
e) Once they have a laptop and secur-id sorted out for me I will be able to work from home

And at this site they have a gym, squash court, showers and miles and miles of quiet roads around it, ideal for lunchtime bike rides.  Oh and I work flexible hours(no more getting up at 05:10 for this little bunny, oh no)...

For once I am a happy bunny

*happy*
Getting there...

alchemy

« Reply #517 on: 21 August, 2008, 10:36:13 pm »

Great news - it's about time you treated yourself  :thumbsup: :)

tiermat

« Reply #518 on: 22 August, 2008, 09:08:12 am »
Oh and just to gloat a little bit more, the free vend drinks machine serves up fizzy or flat VIMTO!!!!!!!!!

Now what else can a man ask for? Mrs T had a psuedo sulk last night, telling me I should go and do her job and she'll come and do mine! :) ;D

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #519 on: 22 August, 2008, 12:36:29 pm »
In two weeks I shall be the new owner of this super sexy velo:

Thank you Aiden  :-*
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

tiermat

« Reply #520 on: 22 August, 2008, 02:10:22 pm »
Nice one Jac, if I can be so familiar.

Even more good news, which I have just remembered about.  TLD returned from Pre-school the other night with her "report", which goes with her when she joins primary school.  In the report they have a section which covers pre-school curriculum attainment, with sections coloured as to progress, from red (no or little acheivement), through green, blue and grey.  It notes at the bottom that none of the sections are expected to have grey in, that is for reception years 1 or 2.  Guess what colour ALL of hers were...

GREY!!!!  Apparently she is the most advanced in her group for reading, writing and maths.

Go girl, I am so so proud of you!  She brought a tear to my eye the other morning whilst I was making breakfast, she disappeared off into the lounge and came back with a piece of paper in her hand on which she had written "To Daddy Love TLD" (obviously not TLD, but she had written her full first name, which is not short, and not one you would really expect a four year old to be able to spell!).  Took me a few minutes before I could carry on making the breakfast...

Oh and last night she showed me she could count up to 39 with no hesitation.  Apparently they are only expected to be able to count upto 9 by the time they get to primary school.  Sod that I say, she's been able to count to 9 since she was 2, and can do simple subtraction...

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #521 on: 22 August, 2008, 09:03:00 pm »
I've just sold the new sound system! :)
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Elleigh

« Reply #522 on: 22 August, 2008, 09:35:30 pm »
Salam had a tick on his face. The receptionist at the vet told me to cover it in Vasiline and it will drop off.

I managed to get Vasiline on the tick as well as the cats face, which he immediately washed off. I didn't think it would kill the tick, but he returned home after sulking in the garden for 10 mins sans the tick. :)

« Reply #523 on: 22 August, 2008, 10:16:18 pm »
Salam had a tick on his face. The receptionist at the vet told me to cover it in Vasiline and it will drop off.

I managed to get Vasiline on the tick as well as the cats face, which he immediately washed off. I didn't think it would kill the tick, but he returned home after sulking in the garden for 10 mins sans the tick. :)

Ticks breathe through their skin so vaseline suffocates them, although I've seen people say this method can cause them to regurgitate the contents of their stomach into the bite, causing further problems. Keep an eye on moggy, just in case.

4 more days at work till I go cycle camping   :)..  got to service the bike & work out a route. I'm terribly out of shape as well..  hopefully I'll lose some weight in Switzerland.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Elleigh

« Reply #524 on: 22 August, 2008, 10:34:30 pm »
Thanks Andrew. I will keep my eye on him.

Have a nice holiday :)