Author Topic: LEL early entry ballot  (Read 4310 times)

dat

LEL early entry ballot
« on: 07 September, 2019, 06:18:24 am »
If people got picked for the early entry ballot but don't take up their place what happens? Place redrawn?

Just grasping at straws due to not getting a place :(

LEL early entry ballot
« Reply #1 on: 07 September, 2019, 06:39:01 am »
I think lel is deliberately over booked in anticipation that 5-10% won’t turn up. I’ve seen on the Facebook page that they’ll take something like 2500 entries, with 200-250 DNS expected. There’s no waiting list as some no shows are expected in order to ensure that it’s not over subscribed.
(Figures are from memory so not necessarily exact).

Not sure what happens if anyone picked doesn’t pay the £100 deposit now, it seems unlikely that there’s anyone in that category given how massively over subscribed it sounds to be.

KDB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
Re: LEL early entry ballot
« Reply #2 on: 07 September, 2019, 07:38:21 am »
Got an early space, Noe I've got the task convinsing my Better Half:
That I can take a week cycling in the UK  without her.
Or she might stay a week in London shopping, in which case LEL is very cheap to participate in 😰

« Reply #3 on: 07 September, 2019, 08:00:43 am »
Or she might stay a week in London shopping, in which case LEL is very cheap to participate in
Or she can spend a week volunteering at a control and fully immerse herself in the event....

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #4 on: 07 September, 2019, 09:46:28 am »
Or she might stay a week in London shopping, in which case LEL is very cheap to participate in
Or she can spend a week volunteering at a control and fully immerse herself in the event....

She can, but her english vocabulary is very Limited, so I think it will be to overwelming for her.  She is a great support, but without the language she will struggle.

« Reply #5 on: 07 September, 2019, 12:46:49 pm »

She can, but her english vocabulary is very Limited, so I think it will be to overwelming for her.  She is a great support, but without the language she will struggle.
I’m a native English speaker and my language goes downhill on long rides so most communication would be sign language and grunts anyway....

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #6 on: 07 September, 2019, 02:13:28 pm »

Dunfermline would be ideal then  :P

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #7 on: 07 September, 2019, 05:23:49 pm »

Do remember that we do have over 50 countries riding ..  foreign languages are really appreciated as they might be very important .. no idea which country your wife  is from .. but for information  we do have large numbers of Far eastern riders from almost every country covered by that description that you could name... so maybe maybe

Roger
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #8 on: 07 September, 2019, 05:28:28 pm »
If people got picked for the early entry ballot but don't take up their place what happens? Place redrawn?

Just grasping at straws due to not getting a place :(

Query has been raised already .. I dont think many will not pay up .. but if there are some .. given the huge vote of confidence that you were placing in the organisers by being willing to put up £100 now for a  ride in 2 years time .. I think we might ... just might .. do a reallocation .. but chances would be tiny .. say 10 places for 1600 names .
Jan 2021 you will have another chance .. we estimate that there will be again about 800 places in the draw .. but how many applicants is an unknown

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #9 on: 07 September, 2019, 07:18:00 pm »
Sidenote: Haven't things changed in randonneuring? 10 years ago who would anticipate seeing this:

"
The ballot is somewhat oversubscribed. We have almost six applications for every place. We want to give some priority to certain groups such as women, riders aged over 70 and riders from smaller countries. This will make conditions less favourable for riders from countries with the largest numbers of applications: India, UK, Germany and USA.
"
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #10 on: 09 September, 2019, 05:21:19 am »
Sidenote: Haven't things changed in randonneuring? 10 years ago who would anticipate seeing this:

"
The ballot is somewhat oversubscribed. We have almost six applications for every place. We want to give some priority to certain groups such as women, riders aged over 70 and riders from smaller countries. This will make conditions less favourable for riders from countries with the largest numbers of applications: India, UK, Germany and USA.
"

So basically as long as I enter with my Angolan drivers licence as ID I am almost sure to get a place ;) .

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #11 on: 09 September, 2019, 09:29:37 am »

So basically as long as I enter with my Angolan drivers licence as ID I am almost sure to get a place ;) .

2nd ballot might not follow same pattern .. but it could be worth a try .

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #12 on: 09 September, 2019, 09:38:00 am »
It was my understanding that (paid up!) AUK members are guaranteed a space. So I completely understand overseas riders from 'smaller' countries are prioritised - it's highly likely that they will be randonneuring club members themselves if they're mad informed enough to visit from Nepal to do a bike ride from the smoke up to the far east and back.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #13 on: 09 September, 2019, 05:33:20 pm »
Although we favoured ladies , over 70's and small countries .. the big 4 UK, Germany , India and USA still took 40% of the 800 total  accepted.

« Reply #14 on: 10 September, 2019, 02:37:13 pm »
I was under the impression ladies were being favoured in the ballot so you can understand my disappointment when I got the sorry email 😟

dat

« Reply #15 on: 10 September, 2019, 04:45:59 pm »
I think it is a shame to not prioritise UK riders. Many cannot get time off or afford to go aboard for big Audaxs.

« Reply #16 on: 10 September, 2019, 04:47:10 pm »
I think it is a shame to not prioritise UK riders. Many cannot get time off or afford to go aboard for big Audaxs.

Audax UK members get guaranteed places (assuming they were members from the right point). That shouldn't have been a surprise as it was the same for the previous LEL too.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

dat

« Reply #17 on: 10 September, 2019, 06:07:56 pm »

Audax UK members get guaranteed places (assuming they were members from the right point). That shouldn't have been a surprise as it was the same for the previous LEL too.

I'm an AUK member have been for around 4 years but my subs lapsed a few times. I'm not moaning as ther is no use and the rules are set. Just a shame I'll miss out on LEL as it is the only "big" Audax that is feasible around other commitments.

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #18 on: 10 September, 2019, 11:26:51 pm »

I'm an AUK member have been for around 4 years but my subs lapsed a few times. I'm not moaning as ther is no use and the rules are set. Just a shame I'll miss out on LEL as it is the only "big" Audax that is feasible around other commitments.

If you want to ride LEL which is an audax ride .. but dont keep your membership up .... then you have the chance of a place from  either the first ballot or the second one.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #19 on: 11 September, 2019, 09:42:20 am »

Book the time off work
Get fit
Wait and see if there are late places
If there aren't, go volunteer somewhere nice and get a short (300 or so) ride in

« Reply #20 on: 11 September, 2019, 05:42:24 pm »

Other people could say "it is a shame to not prioritise foreign riders". Just a different point of view  ;)

A

« Reply #21 on: 11 September, 2019, 05:49:56 pm »
I'd have a quota for PBP volunteers, both ACP and FF Velo. It needn't be much, but a nice gesture.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #22 on: 11 September, 2019, 09:19:04 pm »
Foreign riders who really want to ride LEL (or the BCM) are AUK member :D And Arrivée is a nice bonus I would add.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #23 on: 11 September, 2019, 09:25:35 pm »
Foreign riders who really want to ride LEL (or the BCM) are AUK member :D And Arrivée is a nice bonus I would add.

I joined auk as they validate DIY's. Awoowoo and LEL entry is just a bonus...

I hope DaT can get in via the next opportunity.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #24 on: 11 September, 2019, 10:19:34 pm »
I'd have a quota for PBP volunteers, both ACP and FF Velo. It needn't be much, but a nice gesture.

Why should we do that .. we are already predicting  a massive demand .. well beyond the maximum that we think we can handle. Nice gesture .. but  how the heck do we know you were a PBP volunteer ..  you have just added to the work load.

We have lots of 
" the rest of my team are in .. but I am not .. can you correct this "
 Rubbish .. you never entered. 
My boss is going to sponsor me .. can you add him in.
No

And as for all those who are unable to cope with paying us £100  and insist on using £100 to pay to their currency .. whether US$, Thai Bat , Swedish Krona .. the list is endless ... I despair at times.

Then of course there are the .. I paid 10 minutes ago .. can you confirm receipt of my payment. Here I do exaggerate a little .. it is usually at least 24 hours before that query turns up.

Handling the cash and all the related problems that human beings can perpetrate is already taking me something like 6 hours a day .. and we have only had about 300 of the 800 pay so far. I already see Jan 2021 as an absolute  nightmare

Clearly you have caught me in a grumpy mood .. time for bed !!