Author Topic: A myth dispelled...  (Read 7277 times)

A myth dispelled...
« on: 17 July, 2008, 06:03:36 pm »
I've always believed that Jasmine and I riding the tandem are slower than me riding solo.  I had a suspicion that this may not be entirely true on the Bryan Chapman 600, where we slept for 7 hours and only took an hour longer in total time than last year when I slept for 2-3 hours.

Last night we had the proof in an entirely different type of event, as noted at: http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=229.msg97599#msg97599.

Makes me wonder what we could achieve if we trained on the tandem rather than just riding events on it...

AC
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

alan

Re: A myth dispelled...
« Reply #1 on: 17 July, 2008, 09:17:47 pm »
The only time Marj & I are slower on the tandem than me solo-ing is when we are riding uphill.
It is approaching the stage whereby my grandaughter(9yrs. young) & I on the tandem are quicker than me riding solo.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 17 July, 2008, 09:56:44 pm »
We are faster on the tandem.  Not sure I'd go for a TT though (thinks: might be fun...)

I can ride faster on my commuting solo, but I doubt I'd be able to keep it up.
Getting there...

« Reply #3 on: 17 July, 2008, 10:02:30 pm »
My racing partner and I were quicker on tandem than either of us solo. We weren't too slow up hills. I've only known one tandem pairing who, both fit racing types, were as fast uphill as on solo. They were perfectly in tune and just floated away from the solos who thought they'd have a breather or go past on the incline.

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #4 on: 17 July, 2008, 10:05:11 pm »
On the Triplet we are quicker up hill for the first part of the hill, its a bit like a magic carpet as we easily overtake solos and tandems, then the momentum wears off and we slow down a lot and all the tandems and solos overtake us.

« Reply #5 on: 17 July, 2008, 10:24:58 pm »
Comp records for tandems are significantly less than for solos, even when allowing for the fact that the real "big hitters" don't often ride tandem.

Have a look at the records that Woodburn and John Patston did (both succesful solo riders).

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6 on: 18 July, 2008, 07:27:15 am »
Mrs. Wow and I are definitely slower than me riding solo, and I think probably slower than her riding solo.

Dunno why we bother really... ;D
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7 on: 18 July, 2008, 09:34:34 am »
Could have something to do with the fun ;)
Getting there...

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: 18 July, 2008, 09:40:12 am »
Certainly for club-running, Liz and I go like stink onna tandem.  We're definitely better together than when we're on solos.  When we're blatting along at 38kph on the front of the pack, we've still got breath left to sing rude songs, whilst the people behind struggle to keep on.  Mind you; although we did a few shorter audaxes on Margaret Hilda - we've yet to take Josephine on a proper Audax. 

Interestingly, I rode Josephine solo on Wednesday night and although it's harder work than riding a solo, I can keep a respectable 28kph on her on the flat.  Kind of like riding a hefty touring bike, really.  But as soon as I collected Liz from the station, it was like, "whoa, baby!"  A different league.

So yeah - I think tandems are cheating.  And I'm all for them  :D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9 on: 18 July, 2008, 09:41:36 am »
I so love the 'whoa, baby!' effect :D
Getting there...

rr

« Reply #10 on: 18 July, 2008, 11:03:32 am »
The only time Marj & I are slower on the tandem than me solo-ing is when we are riding uphill.
It is approaching the stage whereby my grandaughter(9yrs. young) & I on the tandem are quicker than me riding solo.

Mini (7) and I are quicker on the Tandem than I am solo, despite the Tamdem being a, not exactly built for speed, Orbit Libra with far slower tyres than my solo.

« Reply #11 on: 18 July, 2008, 02:48:14 pm »
But as soon as I collected Liz from the station, it was like, "whoa, baby!" 

does she often have this effect on you?   :)
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #12 on: 18 July, 2008, 05:02:00 pm »
We certainly belt along on the flat.  Things slow up on the uphills dramatically.  Slower than me on a solo, but we do have Pasella 26x1.75" tyres fitted.  We are much faster than riding solos together however.  They are best for those whose fitness and strength levels are unequal.  They are also a hoot regardless.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: 18 July, 2008, 05:24:44 pm »
But as soon as I collected Liz from the station, it was like, "whoa, baby!" 

does she often have this effect on you?   :)

Frequently   ;)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #14 on: 18 July, 2008, 05:29:02 pm »
I thought the main advantage of a tandem was that you had someone handy to take phone calls, adjust gears, take photos and return fire when the local oiks threw beer cans.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #15 on: 18 July, 2008, 06:29:17 pm »
We are definitely quicker on the tandem than we are individually on the flat and downhill. Going up, we are significantly faster than me on a solo on any hill and no slower than Joth. Tandems are great  :)
We do need another one though for audaxes/day rides though  :)

Emma
California Dreaming

« Reply #16 on: 18 July, 2008, 06:53:00 pm »
I thought the main advantage of a tandem was that you had someone handy to take phone calls, adjust gears, take photos and return fire when the local oiks threw beer cans.

All of those as well. We had the gears on the racing tandem on the back.

ABlipInContinuity

« Reply #17 on: 10 November, 2008, 08:30:53 am »
I read this thread with interest before Maffie and I got our hands on a tandem.

And despite not having the fastest of tandems, by quite some margin we fly along. It has MTB gearing, but it's large ring all the way on the flat.

It's not too slow uphills either, although it's not fair to compare it to me on a solo yet.

rdaviesb

« Reply #18 on: 11 November, 2008, 12:36:54 am »
Until we get the hang of standing up going up hills again (managed it a looooong time ago), I suspect the tandem is no faster overall than me on the solo. This will change with a bit of training over the winter.

« Reply #19 on: 11 November, 2008, 12:04:54 pm »
Actually, to back pedal a little on earlier comments, I would say that our tandem is sometimes as fast as me solo if we lay it on thick, but tends not to be on longer rides. 

As far as 10 mile TT performance which was the thing that provoked this thread, I bettered our tandem time on my solo bike at the end of the season (just), but think I'll probably smash that time next year with a bit of training...

AC
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #20 on: 11 November, 2008, 12:12:44 pm »
I can now ride as fast on my solo as we do on the tandem, but I think the climbing is better with two.

Descending is slower, as I don't have anyone screaming in my ear when on my solo ;D
Getting there...

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #21 on: 11 November, 2008, 12:27:15 pm »
Descending is slower, as I don't have anyone screaming in my ear when on my solo ;D
If Mrs eck thinks we are descending too fast on the tandem, she doesn't scream. She just closes her eyes.  O:-)

So do I.  :o
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #22 on: 11 November, 2008, 12:28:53 pm »
I wish to keep my stoker, so I am v cautious downhill.  O:-)
Getting there...

« Reply #23 on: 11 November, 2008, 01:30:24 pm »
When Andy claims he beat our tandem 10 mile TT time on solo, I think I need to clarify.

The tandem does not have the following: aero bars, deep section rims, TT geometry.

His solo TT bike has these things, and makes him about 10 seconds faster over the same course.

As for training, will that not make you faster on tandem?  Or does your lazy stoker hold you back?

alan

« Reply #24 on: 11 November, 2008, 02:01:06 pm »
  Or does your lazy stoker hold you back?

Is this an embryonic on-line "domestic" :demon: