Author Topic: Replacement For Drayton MIStat N110R  (Read 1340 times)

Replacement For Drayton MIStat N110R
« on: 24 January, 2021, 11:53:01 am »
The wireless central heating thermostat for our house has died (Drayton MIStat N112OR).  New (duracell)  batteries did not revive it so it looks like we need a new one.  This leads to several questions/.

Is this a user replaceable item.  The manuals I've read suggest it is paired (locked) to the controller when supplied with no mention of how to pair with a new controller.

Is there a better replacement that will work with the existing controller unit.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
Re: Replacement For Drayton MIStat N110R
« Reply #1 on: 25 January, 2021, 10:50:12 am »
The manuals for the version of that stat I've checked (may not be your precise model) do mention pairing.  Generally its almost impossible to buy the transmitter part only, so you buy a new one complete. 

Have you tried moving it much closer and seeing if it communicates, or is the thing just plain dead?

One possible answer is, if you find the pairing instructions online (possibly by just googling "pairing xxx model stat" to buy a complete new one (not that cheap, I know) and pair the new one with the old receiver.  Replacing the receiver is very straightforward indeed, after turning off the supply to the controller, obviously...   (unless, of course, like the twat who installed most of my CH not long before I bought the house, he managed to fit the stat receiver hard up against the wall, and how do you remove the faceplate?  By inserting a screwdriver into the side of it, yes, the side that is hard against the wall...)   Mine is on its last legs too, such a huge hysteresis of about 8 degrees, I'll replace it completely with a programmable one.
Wombat

« Reply #2 on: 25 January, 2021, 12:39:57 pm »
What did I find shortly after my post.....<sigh>.  Following further examination I discovered that pressing hard on the faceplate resurrected the device whilst pressure was applied. This led me to remove the cover and bend the contacts that the motherboard sits on. That together with a fairly tight ziptie seems to have got me back to a working position. Having now seen inside there's not much there, probably less than a £10 calculator, so I'm wondering why a new one cost upwards of £95.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 25 January, 2021, 12:46:00 pm »
Having now seen inside there's not much there, probably less than a £10 calculator, so I'm wondering why a new one cost upwards of £95.

Usual rules apply:  The plastic case, smallish-run manufacturing and general distribution costs will dominate those of the electronics.  And then there's the respective share of development costs (design, certification, etc.).

Basically, the cost of most electronic devices has very little to do with the cost of the components.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4 on: 25 January, 2021, 01:02:17 pm »
Our thermostats* are a different Drayton model but they are replaceable - I know this because we had to replace one of them when it failed a few years ago. It was very easy to set up - the pairing process is simply a case of pressing the appropriate button on the base transmitter/receiver unit that's connected to the boiler.

You don't even have to get the same model for the replacement, as long as it speaks the same language as the base unit - all it needs to do is be able to tell it to turn the heating on or off. (We had to get a different model for the replacement since the original was obsolete, but it works just fine.)

*yes, plural - our central heating is in two zones, each controlled by its own thermostat, with separate base units for each zone.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #5 on: 25 January, 2021, 02:24:24 pm »
Our thermostats*

*yes, plural - our central heating is in two zones, each controlled by its own thermostat, with separate base units for each zone.
Current house - 11 thermostats
previous house - 5 thermostats

How do you survive on 2?
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #6 on: 25 January, 2021, 03:17:53 pm »
Our thermostats*

How do you survive on 2?

Depends how you've got your central heating set up... Our Drayton wireless thermostats are also the main control panels for the whole central heating system, which is split into two zones* with one control panel for each. There are valves in the boiler to allow the two zones to be heated individually. Setting up 11 heating zones would be quite the plumbing job... is that what you have?

We also have thermostatic valves on the radiators to control heating in each room individually (though I've never really been convinced they work as advertised).

*I believe this is actually a building regs requirement these days.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 25 January, 2021, 04:41:15 pm »
Our thermostats*

How do you survive on 2?

One thermostat, 7 temperature sensors.  The ones it uses change according to room occupancy and what we're doing.

ian

« Reply #8 on: 25 January, 2021, 04:51:28 pm »
Just get cats and then you'll have to leave every door open and it won't matter how many zones and thermostats you have.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 25 January, 2021, 04:52:17 pm »
Our doors don't close.  Too much Ethernet cable for all those temperature sensors wedged under them :)

« Reply #10 on: 25 January, 2021, 05:13:52 pm »
Our thermostats*

How do you survive on 2?
One thermostat here.

When I feel a bit chilly I put a jumper on. When I get a bit warm I take the jumper off. It's quite a good system actually.

ian

« Reply #11 on: 25 January, 2021, 05:56:31 pm »
We did have three zones in the last place (one for each floor), in this we have one, the lack of closed doors means things even out, there are thermostats on the upstairs radiators to account for heat rising up the stairwell. The only room that is significantly warmer is the downstairs loo, the door of which is closed, and has its own heated towel-rail rad and the little room with the pipes (which is handy for breadmaking).