Author Topic: Deore XT rear hub ball bearing question  (Read 802 times)

Deore XT rear hub ball bearing question
« on: 15 October, 2019, 10:37:50 pm »
The (fairly new) Deore hub was feeling a bit rough so dismantled and found the ball bearings in the non-drive side are in a holder like this:

I cleaned everything & races all look fine, so greased and reassembled.  Adjusted carefully but there is still slight grinding. 

Next step would be to order replacement ball bearings.  My question is do I need to use the bearing holder or can I just use the balls "loose"?
The sound of one pannier flapping

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Deore XT rear hub ball bearing question
« Reply #1 on: 15 October, 2019, 10:47:17 pm »
Loose balls are always my preference.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2 on: 15 October, 2019, 11:18:37 pm »
Thanks.  Would I replace with the same number (11) or fit an extra loose ball - looks like there would be plenty of room?  There are 13 (loose) on the drive side.

« Reply #3 on: 15 October, 2019, 11:25:05 pm »
more balls please; 13off  loose balls would be right if the bearings share the same geometry.

FWIW some of these hubs are pretty much doomed to have short bearing life because the cone adjustment system is the most half-assed POS I have ever seen in my entire life.

Remember that the hub sees reduced clearance/increased preload when the skewer is tightened; it is easy to apply an excessive preload to the bearings this way.  The correct adjustment is a little free play that just disappears as the QR is tightened.

cheers

« Reply #4 on: 15 October, 2019, 11:27:03 pm »
Thanks both!

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 16 October, 2019, 12:21:35 am »

Brucey is right. I burned a good few hours trying to make this work. Shame, as I have 3 of the bloody things.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/