Author Topic: Remains Of The Games . . .  (Read 10418 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Remains Of The Games . . .
« on: 12 August, 2012, 07:13:16 pm »
Anyone bought anything from the Olympic furniture sale?    See    http://www.remainsofthegames.co.uk 

The whole set up seems a bit half-baked and vague  ... or is it just me?    On the basis that I can afford to lose the small amount I've paid if    a) it's a scam  or   b) the delivery cost is outrageous  . . . I've bought a couple of folding chairs.   

So far I've had a Paypal receipt and that's it - nothing from the seller.     (I paid with a credit card (through Paypal) rather than with my Paypal account so at least it's protected by my card issuer)

Rob

PS : I was tempted by one of the umpire chairs, but ceilings are too low in my house . . . .  :hand:

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
Re: Remains Of The Games . . .
« Reply #1 on: 13 August, 2012, 01:32:35 am »
I hear Zipperhead has managed to procure all of the ladies saddles from the track cycling events.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2 on: 13 August, 2012, 09:32:20 am »
"delivery". The website implies very strongly that it's collection only (from Tilbury - possibly).

:(

oh, ang on - scroll down far enough,  Delivery section appears. But it's not even in the FAQ  :facepalm:

Favourite item so far:
"Crowd, Portable"
 ;D
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3 on: 13 August, 2012, 10:43:01 am »
OK, now I'm really confused. On the Basket Page:

"   by ticking this box we accept that collection of goods will be from the location on the website. The goods will be available after September 1st and before October 20th."

WTF ?  ???
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

robgul

« Reply #4 on: 13 August, 2012, 11:07:04 am »
OK, now I'm really confused. On the Basket Page:

"   by ticking this box we accept that collection of goods will be from the location on the website. The goods will be available after September 1st and before October 20th."

WTF ?  ???

Indeed that foxed me too ... there are also two, it appears, sellers ...   it looks to me as if the order I place can either be collected from Nottingham OR you phone (!!!) and arrange to pay a 3rd party courier to deliver.  The fact that it's Paypal payment - and not a real debit/credit card system, seems a bit amateur too.

As I said in the OP - for the £16 I've paid I can afford to lose that if it's all as half-bakes as it seems to be.

Rob

« Reply #5 on: 13 August, 2012, 03:20:38 pm »
Could that be a scam site?

The tickets etc. etc. were under a london2012.com  domain name
The memorabilia are being sold here: http://memorabilia.london2012.com/allauction/auctionLanding

robgul

« Reply #6 on: 13 August, 2012, 03:34:17 pm »
Could that be a scam site?

The tickets etc. etc. were under a london2012.com  domain name
The memorabilia are being sold here: http://memorabilia.london2012.com/allauction/auctionLanding

I have sent an enquiry about the legitimacy of the "remains" site to the   london2012.com   site ... I await the answer from Seb.

Rob

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #7 on: 13 August, 2012, 03:41:16 pm »
whois remainsofthegames.co.uk
[Querying whois.nic.uk]
[whois.nic.uk]

Domain name:
        remainsofthegames.co.uk

Registrant:
        M C Greve

Registrant type:
        Unknown

Registrant's address:
        14/45 Wellington st
        St Kilda
        Victoria
        Australia

Registrar:
        GoDaddy.com, LLP. [Tag = GODADDY]

Relevant dates:
        Registered on: 12-Jul-2010
        Expiry date:  12-Jul-2014
        Last updated:  11-Jun-2012

Registration status:
        Registered until expiry date.

Name servers:
        ns1.remainsofthegames.co.uk  97.74.200.148
        ns2.remainsofthegames.co.uk  97.74.200.148

WHOIS lookup made at 15:40:15 13-Aug-2012

Worrying....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

robgul

« Reply #8 on: 13 August, 2012, 03:46:19 pm »
whois remainsofthegames.co.uk
[Querying whois.nic.uk]
[whois.nic.uk]

Domain name:
        remainsofthegames.co.uk

Registrant:
        M C Greve

Registrant type:
        Unknown

Registrant's address:
        14/45 Wellington st
        St Kilda
        Victoria
        Australia

Registrar:
        GoDaddy.com, LLP. [Tag = GODADDY]

Relevant dates:
        Registered on: 12-Jul-2010
        Expiry date:  12-Jul-2014
        Last updated:  11-Jun-2012

Registration status:
        Registered until expiry date.

Name servers:
        ns1.remainsofthegames.co.uk  97.74.200.148
        ns2.remainsofthegames.co.uk  97.74.200.148

WHOIS lookup made at 15:40:15 13-Aug-2012

Worrying....

Yep - I looked that up just now ... but the "About us" on the website says they were the contractor for the Sydney games ... so that perhaps explains the Oz connection.

The site was mentioned in an article in The Sunday Times yesterday ... and that's Murdoch - hey, didn't he used to be Australian?

Rob

« Reply #9 on: 13 August, 2012, 03:51:21 pm »

Yep - I looked that up just now ... but the "About us" on the website says they were the contractor for the Sydney games ... so that perhaps explains the Oz connection.

Even that sounds dodgy.

Sydney is not in Victoria.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

robgul

« Reply #10 on: 13 August, 2012, 03:53:28 pm »

robgul

« Reply #11 on: 16 August, 2012, 05:59:17 pm »
Update : I sent a message to Paypal asking for reassurance that the thing was not a scam ... no reply BUT I did get the message below from the Remains of the Games people ... no answer from LOCOG yet

More digging reveals that the firm's published e-mail is    .. @btinterent.com   and the phone number is a mobile ...  the website Ts&CS have lots of typos and some  [Insert xxxx here]  comments where it's incomplete - seems very unprofessional to me ??? ???

I remain unconvinced.

Rob
===
REMAINS OF THE GAMES
Good Morning,

Thank you for buying part of the Remains Of The Games.
If you have received a Paypal confirmation of purchase , then your order is safely in our system.

UK ORDERS
We know that our delivery quotation lines are saturated and additional facilities are being installed over the next 24 hours.
We are sorry for any inconvenience.

Collection facilities will be available both from Nottingham and East London.

The "Bump Out" has started and will step up a gear from the day after the Paralympics have finished [9th September].
This will be our starting date.

INTERNATIONAL DELIVERIES
UPS are currently working on a Global solution to consolidate and deliver into all markets.
Please watch our website for details.

Everyone here is working round the clock and we thank you all for your understanding.
The return of over 1 million products to Tilbury [Our warehouse] is one of the largest peace time logistical exercises ever undertaken.

It's possible that BBC1's "One Show" may "Show the in flow" tonight at 7.00pm !

Regards
Remains of the games

robgul

« Reply #12 on: 14 October, 2012, 07:14:16 pm »
Anyone else bought anything from Remains of the games?

Still nothing other than some nonsensical e-mail messages that contradict each other ... and today a message saying that "they made a mistake" with collections ....

Looks like a total shambles that's being run by one man and a dog.   Yes, it must be a logistics nightmare, BUT they knew what was going to happen several years ago and just perhaps might have had a project plan?

I can see a claim against Paypal coming up ....

Rob

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #13 on: 14 October, 2012, 10:55:58 pm »
Similar for me.

The spreadsheet was the best email so far.
It is simpler than it looks.

robgul

« Reply #14 on: 15 October, 2012, 08:07:12 am »
... they're saying that "delivery quotes are being prepared" ....

I can see the next step in the saga being a massive price for delivery - probably more than the cost of the items purchased.  If so I shall cut my losses .. but still try and get a refund from either Paypal or my card issuer on the basis of it being so poorly organised.

As we were at the Paralympics on the penultimate day and I'm sure they weren't using all the chairs .. we could have brought ours home with us  ;D ;D

Rob

robgul

« Reply #15 on: 18 October, 2012, 01:44:46 pm »
PROGRESS .... fantastic news - my items have an estimated despatch date of 31-12-2014 ... and a delivery quote that's surprisingly reasonable, counter to my expectations.

What are these people on? - it's a total lack of attention to detail that's the real issue.

Rob

robgul

« Reply #16 on: 22 October, 2012, 04:07:28 pm »
After some further e-mails and suggestions of seeking a refund from Mr Paypal I had delivery of my chairs today.   Nothing special ... but a memento of sorts that is certainly better than, and better value than, one of the rip-off price Olympics 2012 T-shirts.

Rob

robgul

« Reply #17 on: 08 November, 2012, 12:44:16 pm »
I got my goods a couple of weeks ago but have continued to receive confusing e-mails from Remains of the Games ... today's seemed worthy of reproducing verbatim - see below.   

I especially liked the reassurance that they TWO people on the case!

[It was sent using the MailChimp e-mail broadcast software ... looks like the Chimp did it himself  ;D ]

Rob
=========
REMAINS OF THE GAMES

COLLECTIONS The UK

Most products are now in both of our Collection Centres. +++
COMMON SENSE
We DO need to minimise congestion [ e.g. 500 people arriving in one morning !!] - see below

TILBURY
This is half the size of Nottingham.
The centre is for collection only and is easier to manage.
You do not need to wait for an email BUT we still need to try and manage the customer flow.
We would appreciate visits in alphabetical batches.
This is not mandatory but it will help.
Customers with the surname initials
"A" to "J"  particularly welcome between 10th - 16th November
"K" to "R"  17th - 23rd
"S" to  "Z" anytime after the 24th

NOTTINGHAM  - WAIT FOR AN INVITATION EMAIL
Please allow the Nottm Centre to contact you by email. We need to manage the flow of customers.
emails  are constantly being sent out as soon as stock becomes available from London.
If you haven't had an email by Wednesday 14th lunchtime then contact us at  "queries@remainsofthegames.co.uk" and attach your Paypal receipt and contact telephone number.
You may have been missed or there may be a problem.
IN EITHER CASE YOU WILL BE CONTACTED WITHIN 48 HOURS
It will help us deal with any problems in advance of your arrival.

IF YOU HAVE ALREADY BOOKED A VAN PLEASE TELL US IN ADVANCE OF ARRIVAL  go to http://www.remainsofthegames.co.uk/traders/enquiry

TELL US ASAP AND WE WILL ACCOMMODATE OF COURSE

Q & A

Q: I am fed up with waiting and being fobbed off by emails - I want my goods now !
A: We want the same - please help us help you . We want only to serve you professionally and now have the opportunity to do so.
Stock availability has been the big issue. Most orders are for several products and of course we cannot send your order until we have all the product with us. The Viillage  is STILL "Bumping out" will not wind down for a couple of weeks!

Q: I haven't got an email from  will I ever get my goods?
A: We have over half a million products so their must be a reason . Send your paypal receipt to "queries@remainsofthegames.co.uk" we will make contact and sort out your collection.

Q: I did this before and nothing happened.
A:Queries will be handled by two highly skilled members of our operational team - NOT A CALL CENTRE!

Q:I want to buy some extra items when I visit - is this possible?
A:At Tilbury this will be possible with pleasure.

Q:I am worried that time is running out and I haven't got my order.
A:There is no time limit.

Q:I have called loads of times and never get a call back.
A:We ARE sorry. Saturation is a fact but NOT an excuse. We hope now that the best customer service is to serve you with what you have bought.

Q:How come after all this time you can't supply some of my items? Why didn't you tell us sooner?
A:Only after we are sure that we have had everything back , can we be sure that certain that some items have been "Lost or removed without our consent!".
Further, we can have on our system for example 800 chairs but only when they have been returned can we see that 50 of them have 3 legs!

Q:What happens if you run out of stock?
A:This WILL HAPPEN as we have been continuously subjected to excess damages and losses.
WE WILL GIVE A REFUND OR A HUGE DISCOUNT ON AN ALTERNATIVE PRODUCT - see below

WHAT TO EXPECT
Queues           - we use a "Live pick" system - goods are assembled as and when you arrive.
Good Service - we will do everything we can to advise and help.
A Welcome     - we are really grateful for your custom and respect how patient you have been.

WHAT YOU NEED
Your Paypal Receipt.
A vehicle large enough to take your products.
Strapping to secure your purchase.
ONCE THE GOODS HAVE LEFT OUR CENTRES THEY CANNOT BE RETURNED OR EXCHANGED
A sense of humour and to know that we ARE bothered - Thank you for buying part of the Remains Of The Games.

IF WE CANNOT SUPPLY A PRODUCT
You can get a refund - just send your paypal receipt to "problems@remainsofthegames.co.uk"
OR
Buy upto £1000 of goods at a 25% discount  !!!
simply use the coupon in the checkout and put in "REPLACE25"
It isn't our fault that items haven't been returned from the sites or the village but we want to
try and end this marathon on a good note and let you have some Remains Of The Games.

UK DELIVERY QUOTATIONS

We have now sent out all of the quotations for delivery.
There are still 600 quotes which need completion. These will be done by 5pm tomorrow.
If you still haven't received a quote by tomorrow - their must be a reason.
With over 20,000 enquiries we know that certain information may not have been captured.
SEND YOUR PAYPAL RECEIPT TO   "queries@remainsofthegames.co.uk" and we will come back to you within a few days.

If you are unhappy with the cost of the quote then please look to find an alternative carrier. Park Logistics are doing their best to the consolidate orders geographically to keep costs to a minimum now we have more stock at our disposal.
ROTG make no profit whatsoever from logistics.

INTERNATIONAL DELIVERY QUOTATIONS

All the overseas details are being handled by two major transport companies. You will be contacted by them directly. We have now managed to
forward to them product weight and dimension details. Please appreciate that most of the products have been returned to us in a different format than originally received and we
have needed to have sight to evaluate properly the new weight and overall footprint.[new dimensions].
If you haven't received your quote by next Wednesday then please urgently send your paypal receipt to "queries@remainsofthegames.co.uk" - thank you.