Author Topic: My cat is a lardarse  (Read 1799 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
My cat is a lardarse
« on: 03 November, 2019, 10:00:17 am »
Ok, he's a pretty big ginger tabby, but he's 15 3/4lb (over 7kg) now and the trend is upwards.  I feed him about half his RDA of calories but he is a shameless scrounger and I live in an area where there are a lot of easy targets (nearby sheltered accommodation full of grannies).

Tried a "DO NOT FEED ME" collar but he ripped that off within hours.

Any ideas?  He's a very outdoor sort of cat and would hate being kept in.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: My cat is a lardarse
« Reply #1 on: 03 November, 2019, 10:05:26 am »
I think you can buy "Please Do Not Feed Me" collars.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2 on: 03 November, 2019, 10:48:53 am »
It is simpler than it looks.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: 03 November, 2019, 11:03:13 am »
What are you feeding him? We had the same problem with Pumpkin who is on a dry diet. We now feed her a spoon of shredded chicken with each meal (she gets fed 3 times a day because she can't be trusted to free feed) to try to fill her up a bit without so many calories.
We also tried putting a tracker on her to find out where she was going (a street with many overflowing bins).
If there's a local FB group you could try a do not feed post.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #4 on: 03 November, 2019, 01:56:34 pm »
When our Maine Coon tom got to over 10kg (imagine that arriving on a full bladder when he's decided it's breakfast time) we put him on some special diet biscuits as recommended by the v.e.t. They were expensive, but he liked them and they seemed to fill him up.
Can't remember the brand at the moment. I'll ask MrsC if she can.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5 on: 03 November, 2019, 03:21:16 pm »
Big Tom is 7kg.
Blackie is about 4kg.

We can't feed them separately; they won't have it. I don't think Tom's getting any bigger. He's pretty athletic despite his bulk.

I just accept he ain't gonna change.

He's at the wet Whiskas right now. Blackie is out.

ian

« Reply #6 on: 03 November, 2019, 04:12:49 pm »
Bad Cat got a bit fatty, but she seems to have slimmed down, been at the same weight for the last couple of vet visits. She'd on the 'senior' cat food now, though any evidence of her having grown up is missing. There's dry food out all the time as LMC is a teeny and her lack of teeth makes us worry she doesn't eat enough food. They get one pack of wet food a day (served at bedtime and breakfast, they go mad for this, well Bad Cat does, LMC patiently sits by her bowl, understanding that her relationship with humans is that the humans do her bidding). They only used to get dry food until LMC had her teeth out, when we figured she might not be so keen on the dry. It turns out that she still gums her way through the dry stuff with no apparent troubles.

They're both outdoor cats, though they don't spend that much time outside. LMC has her daily mad spells bounding about her house, and Bad Cat's epic battles against the nemesis – The Tail – can last for long periods, so they get plenty of exercise. I chase them around the house a lot too. Then they chase me.