Author Topic: Caterpillars Strike Force  (Read 1181 times)

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
Caterpillars Strike Force
« on: 07 June, 2010, 08:44:34 am »
Or, when caterpillars go bad. Saw this on my ride yesterday on the dual carriageway between Brighton and Lewes. Never seen such a concentration before. Almost art I'd say.

And no, someone hadn't dumped a bike there, for all those wags out there.

Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: Caterpillars Strike Force
« Reply #1 on: 07 June, 2010, 02:39:56 pm »
There are several trees like that on the road from Great Shelford to Addenbrookes (Granhams Road).
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

border-rider

« Reply #2 on: 07 June, 2010, 03:02:06 pm »
Ermine moth caterpillar

Some of the trees and hedges round here have been attacked just like that.  The target plant is often spindle.  I've never, ever seen them as widespread or as intense as this year

http://www.butterfly-conservation.org/uploads/BC%20web%20site%20-%20Ermine%20moths%20update%282%29.pdf

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #3 on: 07 June, 2010, 05:12:45 pm »
Thanks Mallers. I do rather think that it's a missed opportunity on the linked file you've posted, that surely there was room for more fruity language like "They're a real ba'stard is them", or "A marvelous forehand with a tennis racket produces excellent results".
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #4 on: 07 June, 2010, 05:40:34 pm »
Ermine moth caterpillar

Some of the trees and hedges round here have been attacked just like that.  The target plant is often spindle.  I've never, ever seen them as widespread or as intense as this year

http://www.butterfly-conservation.org/uploads/BC%20web%20site%20-%20Ermine%20moths%20update%282%29.pdf

Ooh - I shall print this off for Mr R.  We were wondering what had caused it.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor