Author Topic: 2.5 mm mono plug to 3.5 mm stereo adapter  (Read 3336 times)

2.5 mm mono plug to 3.5 mm stereo adapter
« on: 12 May, 2009, 07:23:06 pm »
I need another weird cable / adapter thingy.

Quick phone pic:

The 2.5 mm mono plug goes into an electronic stethoscope. The 3.5 mm female end accepts a stereo plug from a Bluetooth transmitter, shown to the left. What I need is a 90 degree plug type adapter, i.e. the above connector minus the cable. I did get this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002619V7O

But it doesn't work as the plug is stereo. I've emailed JezzaSnr's suggested supplier in this post, but in the meantime does anyone have any suggestions or, indeed, can anyone make me one? I don't want one like this - sticks out too much.

Thanks for any advice you have  :)

Re: 2.5 mm mono plug to 3.5 mm stereo adapter
« Reply #1 on: 12 May, 2009, 07:47:43 pm »
I'm not big on cables but you could look in 'our' online shop - Henleys E-Shop   

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #3 on: 13 May, 2009, 02:06:08 pm »
I don't want one like this - sticks out too much

Thanks Sam  :) Close but no banana though.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #4 on: 14 May, 2009, 01:56:34 am »
Doh should have read more carefully. Lack of sleep issa pain.

Do you want a 2.5mm mono right angle jack plug, a 2.5mm mono right angle jack plug to 3.5mm stereo jack convertor or a 2.5mm mono right angle jack plug to 3.5mm stereo jack cable?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #5 on: 14 May, 2009, 09:28:41 am »
I think an adapter could be made from a plug and socket and epoxy resin.  Whether it would be small and neat enough would be another question.  I could have a go at making one if you're desparate, once I had the parts.

Is it too impractical to use the cable in your picture, SP?  Do you really need a one-piece adapter instead?
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #6 on: 14 May, 2009, 09:40:07 am »
Hi both

I currently use the cable in the photo, no big problem but it looks so much neater with the little 90 degree adapter I got from Amazon (see link  it is very small and neat inded) but as I say it doesn't work. So no, I don't really need it but it is easier to clean etc.

Sam: needs to be 90 degrees, no cable, adapter from 2.5 mm mono plug to 3.5 stereo jack. In other words exactly like the one in the Amazon link but with a mono plug rather than stereo.

A rare breed, it would seem!

Biggsy, a kind offer and I'd take you up on it and recompense you if it were not for the fact that the existing set up is perfectly functional albeit with rather more cable than desirable. the Bluetooth transmitter fits very tidily on the main "body" of the stethoscope so it would be good to ditch the unused cable.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #7 on: 14 May, 2009, 09:52:04 am »
Actually, now I've had the idea, it would be annoying for me NOT to make one! :D  I'll give it a go.  No recompense needed if it's no good.  I'll try and make it as small as possible by discarding the outer parts of the connectors and using epoxy resin.

« Reply #8 on: 14 May, 2009, 10:15:54 am »
That's very good of you  :)

I can see why there is no call for these - the cabled adapter came from the stethoscope manufacturer, they must have had to do it as a one-off. Theirs has a cable as it is intended for a dual listening / training set-up - my application is a bit different.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #9 on: 15 May, 2009, 05:07:53 pm »
Why not modify the plug to be mono? Surely it's just a case of cutting into the two stereo hot parts and then a bit of solder to link the two segments = mono?

Support Equilibrium

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #10 on: 15 May, 2009, 05:19:18 pm »
Would the plug segments be physically aligned correctly for the socket connectors?

I've ordered the components to make a new adapter, by the way.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #11 on: 15 May, 2009, 06:55:30 pm »
Adaptor 2.5mm mono plug to 3.5mm stereo socket

Seriously, it's only what, 3cm? It'll be easier to take apart and hardwire the stethoscope lol

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #12 on: 15 May, 2009, 06:58:14 pm »
Why not modify the plug to be mono? Surely it's just a case of cutting into the two stereo hot parts and then a bit of solder to link the two segments = mono?

They are a different shape physically in addition to having a differing number of segments.

Thanks Biggsy!

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #13 on: 15 May, 2009, 07:07:15 pm »
I meant on the 2.5mm stereo jack on the adapter. But I've realised that depends on where the contact on the socket body of the stethoscope is.

Support Equilibrium

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #14 on: 23 May, 2009, 06:08:55 pm »
Oh dear, I've been let down by an eBay seller called "dajtddk".  First the order didn't turn up, so I have to ask them to resend, then the "stereo 3.5mm" sockets I eventually get are really mono sockets.

EDIT: Got a correct socket from good old Maplins - where I should have gone in the first place.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #15 on: 25 May, 2009, 04:47:34 pm »
The final product from Biggsbodgitnglueit Incorporated Enterprises Limited:

Tags soldered together, wire connected between stereo channels, covered with epoxy, and it works.

« Reply #16 on: 25 May, 2009, 04:51:57 pm »
Most excellent!  :)

I'll pm you in due course...

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #17 on: 25 May, 2009, 07:03:58 pm »
Nicely done

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #18 on: 25 May, 2009, 07:10:42 pm »
The final product from Biggsbodgitnglueit Incorporated Enterprises Limited:

Tags soldered together, wire connected between stereo channels, covered with epoxy, and it works.

Biggsy,
I have 10,000 blister packs, with an 'aeroplane-wing' perforation which'll fit Maplin's shopfitting system.
Are you interested?
 ;D
 :thumbsup:

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #19 on: 25 May, 2009, 07:45:55 pm »
You'll need to clone Sergeant Pluck 10,000 times first  ;)