Author Topic: Dismantle BR-M515 cable disc caliper?  (Read 801 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Dismantle BR-M515 cable disc caliper?
« on: 17 June, 2022, 11:06:35 pm »
HK’s Trice uses Shimano Deore cable disc brakes. The brake pads in one of them occasionally sticks after application, scraping on the disc until she goes over a bump whereupon the pads spring apart.

https://si.shimano.com/#/en/search/Component?name=Mechanical%20Disc%20Brake&type=MTB doesn’t seem to have a proper exploded diagram of the caliper. Any guide out there for cleaning/ lubricating the caliper? Any traps for the unwary player?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: Dismantle BR-M515 cable disccaliper?
« Reply #1 on: 18 June, 2022, 07:49:47 am »
I've just been fixing a similar issue with a customer's bike with that model cable disc - probably not much help . . .  but I just sprayed disc brake cleaner liberally in the pad aperture (with the pads out) then "sawed" a rag back and forth in the aperture before refitting the pads. 

It does seem that the adjustment on the inner pad (the Allen screw) and the centring on the disc (i.e. he mount bolts) is critical to get the balance of movement/pad return correct.  My fix was achieved with a bit of trial and error (road testing with my height and 48cm frame was entertaining ;D)

... and the obvious - I assume the spring that fits round the pads isn't compressed? - you could try prising it slightly wider that may increase the springiness?

Re: Dismantle BR-M515 cable disc caliper?
« Reply #2 on: 19 June, 2022, 07:32:36 am »
I suspect most cable discs use the three ballbearing cam? a strip clean and regrease of these within my BB7's made for significant improvement.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Dismantle BR-M515 cable disc caliper?
« Reply #3 on: 01 August, 2022, 10:07:55 am »
A good flush with brake cleaner restored the caliper to good operation without dismantling anything. We will see how long it runs before I need to pull it apart.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...