Author Topic: Loading up - distribution  (Read 5947 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Loading up - distribution
« Reply #25 on: 26 July, 2022, 06:27:52 pm »
Bit different for the solo traveller with asymmetrical bags..

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #26 on: 26 July, 2022, 09:43:55 pm »
I think 'wet' and 'dry' is the most important packing distinction for the multi-day tourist.  You don't want your electrickery, dead-tree documents or down anything getting wet under any circumstances; you probably want to carry some things which are liquids capable of leaking, and might reasonably want to pack away cooking things, tent or clothing while they're still wet.  There's also ostensibly 'dry' stuff you're likely to want to get at while it's pissing down with rain, like bike tools or biscuits.

Once you've got that worked out, weight distribution comes next.

That said, I often find myself re-packing things on a more day/night basis once pitched up, particularly if I'm going for a day ride or worried about keeping beasties out of my stuff.  Similarly, if I'm mixing camping with other types of accommodation, a bit of re-packing can be convenient.  Gratuitous use of coloured stuff-sacks makes that sort of re-packing quick and easy.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #27 on: 27 July, 2022, 06:19:53 am »
Definitely dry bags and ziploc bags inside panniers for important stuff to be kept dry.

I bought a pair of the Ortlieb gravel panniers on spec, to be returned if not suited. I tried one with a similar clothing load as I expect to take on tour I.e. one change of cycling gear, overnight gear, spare t-shirt, jumper and it all went in no proble I then to wash the kit I'm wearing on D1, to be ready for D+2. I also compare it to one side of  my bananananana bags and its about the same.

That gives me
2x fork bags for tools and heavy stuff
2 x panniers for clothes and other general living kit, washbag, meds, book etc
Rackbag for food and valuables, routebook, easily removed
handlebar bag for bike top layers, arm waters, wind and waterproofs etc.

Seems like if I cant fit a 5-day b&b touring load into that lot, I'm doing something wrong. Next step, inveterate planner tha I am, is to work through in excruciating detail what goes into each of them
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #28 on: 27 July, 2022, 07:25:45 am »
You get into a routine of places for everything.  In my backpacking days I could tell anyone where in my sack everything was from memory. I didn't need to look where I was reaching into my bag. Right down to how far down the front of left side to reach that x, y or z item. Without thinking or really paying attention things were always packed back into the right places each morning on striking a camp.

Imho this organisation makes everything better on a trip
No missing items, no need to think about packing up just do it, and above all do it efficiently so you can spend more time doing what you enjoy and are there for hiking or chuckle touring.

« Reply #29 on: 27 July, 2022, 07:29:32 am »
I’ve not spotted any votes for “middle” yet, so here’s one.
I have a frame bag, which gets some mix of water bladder, tools, locks, and first aid kit. Which is, roughly, stuff I want easy access to while riding but not to take into the cafe with me. It also tends to be heavier bits, so gets me out of having weight high and to the side in a pannier.

Apart from that I favour small panniers and a bar bag. A lack of front fork bosses comes into that choice though.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #30 on: 27 July, 2022, 07:34:15 am »
You get into a routine of places for everything.  In my backpacking days I could tell anyone where in my sack everything was from memory. I didn't need to look where I was reaching into my bag. Right down to how far down the front of left side to reach that x, y or z item. Without thinking or really paying attention things were always packed back into the right places each morning on striking a camp.

Imho this organisation makes everything better on a trip
No missing items, no need to think about packing up just do it, and above all do it efficiently so you can spend more time doing what you enjoy and are there for hiking or chuckle touring.

Absolutely, I was the same when backpacking regularly. My last bike tour was 2019, and using the recumbent, so need to rejog the memory and also work it out for the different luggage, shouldn't take long to think left rear = XXX, right front = YYY
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens