Author Topic: Front derailleur not shifting  (Read 740 times)

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
Front derailleur not shifting
« on: 01 August, 2022, 11:06:46 pm »
So in a fit of enthusiasm I decided to get my road bike working. Managed to fit the get the front derailleur to the right height by removing cable. This is a triple ultegra so I pushed the lever all the way in, set the chain on the smallest ring and tighten cable. So obviously pushing in the big lever should move the derailleur out and onto the middle ring. Nothing, it's very tight and I don't want to break my levers. What obvious thing I am doing wrong? Thanks

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Re: Front derailleur not shifting
« Reply #1 on: 01 August, 2022, 11:31:19 pm »
You need to set the shifter into the slackest position ( small ring position ), and pull slack out of the shifter by hand, on the run of cable down the down tube.
Then clamp it into the front mech in this state with no slack in the small chainring.

This is difficult to do, you need to pull a bunch of tension on the cable before clamping it.
This is why the front mechs come with a plastic thingy to set them up.
They jam the front mech into a partially-activated state, so when you clamp the cable and remove the plastic thing, the mech relaxes back and takes up residual tension in the cable.

Use the plastic thingy and follow the Shimano instructions, and it will work.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #2 on: 01 August, 2022, 11:41:51 pm »
Never had a shimano thingy when I have bought a new front mech.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #3 on: 02 August, 2022, 06:15:29 am »
The newer versions do not have the plastic thingy and are much easier to set up. Which front mech model are you dealing with?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #4 on: 02 August, 2022, 07:44:51 am »
If you disconnect the cable can you move the cage by hand? If it's not been used for a while and put away wet it may have seized in which case penetrating oil on the pivots, patience and manual persuasion may be required.

« Reply #5 on: 02 August, 2022, 08:42:45 am »
I use this for a refresher occasionally:  Front Derailleur Adjustment   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxV_vKlgolc
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

velosam

« Reply #6 on: 02 August, 2022, 11:54:00 am »
Thanks all, will give it a go. The front lever is an ultegra triple bonded to a 105 front mech.

Mech moves but is very stiff. I mean how hard can it be to just remove and refit something, sigh

« Reply #7 on: 02 August, 2022, 05:15:23 pm »
Have mech pivots seen lube in their life time?

velosam

« Reply #8 on: 02 August, 2022, 10:30:21 pm »
Ok just to add to the evening fun, school boy error. Cable was the wrong way!!! Only found out thanks to a friend of mine!