Author Topic: Bells!  (Read 2817 times)

Bells!
« on: 28 July, 2019, 10:17:03 am »
I have a vague memory of reading somewhere that a bell is required that can be heard by other road users. However, I can't find reference to one now!

On previous PBPs have bells been required and checked at inspections?

I don't have a bell I have an electric car horn so I hope that will be ok, otherwise fitting a bell that can be heard by others is problematic.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
Re: Bells!
« Reply #1 on: 28 July, 2019, 12:48:38 pm »
not required before, and this year either

« Reply #2 on: 28 July, 2019, 01:03:26 pm »
 :thumbsup: Ta, one possible thing that needed doing now struck off the list.

Davef

« Reply #3 on: 28 July, 2019, 01:23:40 pm »
It may not be a pbp requirement but the Vienna convention on road traffic says you must have a bell and no other audible device. It also says you must not let go of your handle bars. I doubt anyone knows or cares.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4 on: 28 July, 2019, 01:32:17 pm »
Wot 'e sez^^^

The ACP rules don't mention bells, but since you'll be riding on public roads that won't be closed to traffic*, the bike must conform to the French highway code. This specifies a bell that can be heard at 50 metres, and specifically states no horns.

That said, I don't think anyone will worry about it.

* That said, I have no recollection of ever seeing extraneous traffic during PBP. OTOH in 2011 a  a newspaper delivery van knocked down a chum of mine and dragged him underneath for 10 metres, so it is there.  He's OK now - came out with just a broken arm + road rash.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #5 on: 28 July, 2019, 01:56:38 pm »
French highway code. This specifies a bell that can be heard at 50 metres, and specifically states no horns.

That's a bit rubbish really as everbody's hearing is different, for me to hear a bell at 50m without my aids it would need to be mahoosive and hit with Thor's hammer!

I'll keep my horn, drivers in cars can hear that.

« Reply #6 on: 28 July, 2019, 03:40:58 pm »
In some thread somewhere since PBP 2015 in a YACF forum, I did mention that the next time, I will be having a bell on my bike. Maybe that is what you have seen.

One of my bad experiences in 2015 was not being able to "communicate my intentions" to other riders. For example, very late one night, I got stuck behind two riders, side by side who were meandering about aimlessly all over the road and I could not get past. I was shouting, "Passing on your left", Passing on your right", Passing through the middle, "Coming through" etc, but I still could not get past, if the gap was on the left, soon as I tried to get through it, they would swerve into me, same on the right, same in the middle. They did not even acknowledge that I was there I don't think.

All I can think of is they was foreign and did not understand English, but did I get mad with them. They were swerving all over, like magnets attracting and repelling each other and surprised they did not crash. Eventually though, I managed to get past, so later on, I thought maybe a bell would be handy, the tinkling of a bell is universal to attract someones attention.

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #7 on: 28 July, 2019, 09:24:09 pm »
These are pretty nifty little bells — https://urbanandhawk.com/products/minimalx-bell

I fit mine facing forwards rather than on top, and because it's so small then it's barely noticeable snuggled up next to the Garmin, but it still has a clear, piercing ping.

Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

« Reply #8 on: 28 July, 2019, 10:31:53 pm »
In some thread somewhere since PBP 2015 in a YACF forum, I did mention that the next time, I will be having a bell on my bike. Maybe that is what you have seen.

One of my bad experiences in 2015 was not being able to "communicate my intentions" to other riders. For example, very late one night, I got stuck behind two riders, side by side who were meandering about aimlessly all over the road and I could not get past. I was shouting, "Passing on your left", Passing on your right", Passing through the middle, "Coming through" etc, but I still could not get past, if the gap was on the left, soon as I tried to get through it, they would swerve into me, same on the right, same in the middle. They did not even acknowledge that I was there I don't think.

All I can think of is they was foreign and did not understand English, but did I get mad with them. They were swerving all over, like magnets attracting and repelling each other and surprised they did not crash. Eventually though, I managed to get past, so later on, I thought maybe a bell would be handy, the tinkling of a bell is universal to attract someones attention.

I suspect a nice loud "OI!" would have communicated your intentions very satisfactorily - and conformed to the UK regs on 'audible warning of approach'

« Reply #9 on: 28 July, 2019, 10:33:09 pm »
A bell can also be handy for communicating with a riding partner if/when you’re separated in a bunch. You can agree a set of codes to cover common situations: eg, ding ding ding for ‘Ease off a bit.’

(Then, of course, you can forget what you agreed.)

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #10 on: 29 July, 2019, 01:20:55 pm »
A bell is also useful for acknowledging kidlings lining the route  8)
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11 on: 29 July, 2019, 02:06:44 pm »

I suspect a nice loud "OI!" would have communicated your intentions very satisfactorily - and conformed to the UK regs on 'audible warning of approach'

A nice loud VELO! bellow usually works here, especially if the idiots have their ears plugged with muzak (illegal here for cyclists but not for peds).

My problem with bells is not just finding one that's sufficiently loud but finding one that doesn't rattle as well.  Previous loud one I had rattled so much it rang all on its own.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #12 on: 29 July, 2019, 03:42:43 pm »
Not sure about other countries, but here in the Netherlands a bell is only useful when passing someone below 50 years of age (give or take). Older and they start looking over their shoulder (yes, it really is another cyclist and he wants to pass, blimey!) while swerving dangerously to the left instead of just making space.

But there's a nice Crane bell on my audax bike anyway, so I might as well bring it  :)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #13 on: 29 July, 2019, 05:01:03 pm »

They probably weren't foreign but doing the usual french thing for a foreigner.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14 on: 29 July, 2019, 06:32:33 pm »
On the tandem, I just accelerate and pass dodgy dawdlers in the other lane. If they weave that far, they'll just bounce off after we reach ramming speed.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15 on: 29 July, 2019, 06:57:25 pm »
A bell is also useful for acknowledging kidlings lining the route  8)

This is the main use of a bell on any non-standard cycle.   :thumbsup: