Author Topic: Saving a .wps file as a .zip file?  (Read 1565 times)

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
Saving a .wps file as a .zip file?
« on: 11 August, 2011, 03:34:02 pm »
I'm trying to set up my AUK events for next year to allow electronic entry and payment through Paypal.
The Paypal bit is easy, but I can't see how to save my routesheets, currently saved as .wps docs (MS Works), as .zip files, which is what the AUK website asks for.  My "Save As" menu doesn't offer anything remotely resembling a .zip file.
Am I asking the impossible, or missing the bleedin' obvious?  ???

It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
Re: Saving a .wps file as a .zip file?
« Reply #1 on: 11 August, 2011, 03:38:11 pm »
A zip file is simply a container, and as such a separate utility is often required to do the actual (un)zipping.

The one I used to use on Windoze is FilZip (www.filzip.com) - save the file as you normally would, and then run it through FilZip or similar to get the zip file.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #2 on: 11 August, 2011, 03:46:07 pm »
right click on the desktop and select new->compressed(zipped) folder

This makes a folder

Drag and drop the files you want to be in the zip file into the folder

upload the folder to the AUK site, it will be sent up as a single file

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #3 on: 11 August, 2011, 03:52:46 pm »
Just to add, I would advise against using WPS (Works files) for routesheets etc, as many people won't be able to open them. I don't think its possible to open them in most versions of MS Office or OpenOffice.

Better to use a DOC or RTF file, which just about everyone should be able to use.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #4 on: 11 August, 2011, 04:17:10 pm »
Just to add, I would advise against using WPS (Works files) for routesheets etc, as many people won't be able to open them. I don't think its possible to open them in most versions of MS Office or OpenOffice.

Better to use a DOC or RTF file, which just about everyone should be able to use.

Yes, thanks fuaran, I was just beginning to realise that.  :facepalm:
The wps version looks very pretty when printed out but it was starting to dawn on me that I'd need to save it as something else before compressing it. 

And, thanks too, to interzen and vorsprung: there's light at the end of the tunnel.  :thumbsup:
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #5 on: 11 August, 2011, 05:58:50 pm »

Yes, thanks fuaran, I was just beginning to realise that.  :facepalm:
The wps version looks very pretty when printed out but it was starting to dawn on me that I'd need to save it as something else before compressing it. 

And, thanks too, to interzen and vorsprung: there's light at the end of the tunnel.  :thumbsup:

Better to use PDF since the viewer is free. I have no idea if works->pdf formatter are available though.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #6 on: 11 August, 2011, 06:10:52 pm »
http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp

Sets up a 'virtual' printer, which effectively spits out any document fed into it as a PDF.
Several of our clients use it - make of that what you will.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #7 on: 11 August, 2011, 06:31:26 pm »
My "Save As" menu doesn't offer anything remotely resembling a .zip file.

On this (WinXP) PC, if you right-click on a file (in File Manager, or Explorer) one of the options is 'Send To' and one of the sub-options there is 'Zipped Folder'.  That's all there is to it. 
(NB it's worth adding, you can also select several files at once, and do this - eg a routesheet and a 'instructions to start' and a map - all ending up as a single .zip file)
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #8 on: 11 August, 2011, 06:34:22 pm »
Better to use PDF since the viewer is free. I have no idea if works->pdf formatter are available though.
You could open the Works file in LibreOffice, then save as PDF.
Yes, just about everyone will have some of PDF viewer. And a PDF will keep all of the correct formatting, and print nicely.
Though its trickier for anyone that might want to edit the routesheet, eg to adjust the layout or font size.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #9 on: 11 August, 2011, 10:16:22 pm »
http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp

Sets up a 'virtual' printer, which effectively spits out any document fed into it as a PDF.
Several of our clients use it - make of that what you will.

I use that a lot, though it struggles sometimes with shading/fill patterns from the GIS I use at work. Great for text (and for keeping dated electronic copies of ephemeral webpages you might later want to use as evidence)

EDIT:  .pdfs don't generally compress much