Author Topic: A random thread for small entertainment things not warranting their own thread..  (Read 286774 times)

Very good. And led me to this:

https://youtu.be/JR3uz8rq4ng

The McClintock mash-up of Slayer's "Raining Blood" and The B-52's "Rock Lobster" is a work of deranged genius.  :D

https://youtu.be/mnrfqPoX4WU
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
80's Aerobics meets Rob Zombie.

That is bizarrely compelling viewing.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

I doubt whether many folk on here have heard of Robert Broberg. He was a Swedish original and impossible to categorise. He had a song, Ingela, which was the name of my Swedish ex and that was the song that got us together in the first place. Anyhoo, I found out yesterday that he died in 2015 of Parkinson's. Somewhere I have a cassette of his, but no way of playing it any more.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Fans of John Finnemore and Cabin Pressure will be pleased, or not, to know that Arthur Shappey is self isolating.  Fortunately he's documenting his ordeal on YouTube
First episode is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhTBp1DRfx4&t=134s
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Mash up of displaying my ignorance (thinking a "cover" of a trad song was actually an original by Grateful Dead) and information for those that weren't listening to the Huey show yesterday and quite like blues, the previous version by Rev Gary Davis (as in, it was he who taught the song to Bob Weir), it is epic . There's a version on Youtube here but the one played yesterday was far superior. Here's the show, it's at around 1:55:40 https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000h7ny

The whole show was great music to paint a room by, DNAMHIKT.

citoyen

A friend posted on facebook yesterday that it was 25 years to the day since the first episode of Father Ted was broadcast. 25 years! Way to make me feel old.

I remember at the time that the idea of a sitcom about Irish priests didn't much appeal to me, and I only watched it because I'd heard it was made by the same people who made the brilliant and hugely underrated Paris, a sitcom about a struggling artist in 1920s Paris, starring Alexei Sayle, which got canned after one series.

Got to admit that Father Ted has aged better.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Yesterday we took part as a family in my son-in-law's online quiz. There was a round on song lyrics and we scored (wait for it)... 9/10! We had to identify the popular beat combo responsible, the songs having an English theme because of it being St. George's day this week. I was amazed that I got at least 3 that the others in my team didn't know, those 3 being a Beatles song (Mean Mr. Mustard I think - certainly from Abbey Road), God Save The Queen (Sex Pistols) and Football's Coming Home by Skinner and Baddiel. Jan and I also got Mad Dogs & Englishmen, but that was the only "oldie". The one none of us knew was something involving John Barnes. I can't even remember the name of the group.

This is dreadful! I have a reputation to keep up!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Yesterday we took part as a family in my son-in-law's online quiz. There was a round on song lyrics and we scored (wait for it)... 9/10! We had to identify the popular beat combo responsible, the songs having an English theme because of it being St. George's day this week. I was amazed that I got at least 3 that the others in my team didn't know, those 3 being a Beatles song (Mean Mr. Mustard I think - certainly from Abbey Road), God Save The Queen (Sex Pistols) and Football's Coming Home by Skinner and Baddiel. Jan and I also got Mad Dogs & Englishmen, but that was the only "oldie". The one none of us knew was something involving John Barnes. I can't even remember the name of the group.

This is dreadful! I have a reputation to keep up!

New Order, m'lud.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
The John Barnes rap marks the high point of English football.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
A friend posted on facebook yesterday that it was 25 years to the day since the first episode of Father Ted was broadcast. 25 years! Way to make me feel old.

I remember at the time that the idea of a sitcom about Irish priests didn't much appeal to me, and I only watched it because I'd heard it was made by the same people who made the brilliant and hugely underrated Paris, a sitcom about a struggling artist in 1920s Paris, starring Alexei Sayle, which got canned after one series.

Got to admit that Father Ted has aged better.

25 years! Cripes!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

I've never actually seen Father Ted.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Go on, go on, go on, go on!
It is simpler than it looks.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
You haven't lived
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
that has to be the best Horizon I've seen in years, just for the Hubble images, absolutely amazing to see back to the dawn of time
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Cudzoziemiec

I don't know who'd been elected or what had taken away their hope, but hey, Led Zep were talking to cyclists!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xcOZghoZZY

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
RIP Hamilton Bohannon. I only knew him from a friend of a friend  :( Who needs to think when your feet just go!

citoyen

RIP Hamilton Bohannon. I only knew him from a friend of a friend  :( Who needs to think when your feet just go!
Ah! I first knew of him from that Tom Tom Club track. Disco legend.

ian

You haven't lived
Srsly?

In my defence, I was living in the US at the time, and they didn't, to the best of my knowledge, have it.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Father Ted corresponds with the time when I wasn't really watching a lot of television.  I discovered it late, and have only seen a few episodes all the way through.  (I completely missed Spaced in similar circumstances.)

He and I had a special relationship

DaveJ

• Happy days
that has to be the best Horizon I've seen in years, just for the Hubble images, absolutely amazing to see back to the dawn of time

Yes.  Fascinating.  The BBC at its best.  So much of its output has been dreadful recently, that its helpful to be reminded how good it can be.

I'm not sure I like being able to remember the highs and lows of the story from personal experience.  It certainly makes me feel old.

James Webb next year hopefully.

Cudzoziemiec

Play the theremin with today's Google doodle!

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo