Author Topic: Tomsk's Essex Events  (Read 29245 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Tomsk's Essex Events
« on: 27 December, 2013, 04:53:47 pm »
....and other thoughts. I've updated AUKweb with 2014 route sheets and information [barring last-minute route checks etc]

The bare bones of 2014's schedule is:

Saturday 26th April 00:01 Manningtree - Green and Yellow Fields BRM 300km [preceded by curry, from 21:00 Friday at the 'Mogul', Manningtree]

Saturday 24th May 09:00 Manningtree - Asparagus and Strawberries BRM 400km

Saturday 7th June 08:30 Dunmow - FlitchBikes BR 200km, 09:30 - BP 100km, 10:00 - BP 50km

Friday 4th July 21:00 Dunmow - Hereward the Wake BRM 300km [Preceded by a curry, from 18:30 at the 'Jalsa Ghar', Dunmow]

Saturday 13th September 06:00 Dunmow - The Flatlands BRM 600km

Something else to think about: the Essex SR series will run as last year - four Essex events, calendar or permanent. One Essex DIY allowed.

There's also the 'Grand Slam of Shiny', 50km - 600km in correct amounts - no substituting longer for shorter.....and if you do a fairly rubbish Mersey 24, your 5 points might gain you the SR 2000

Lars

• n.b. have shaved off beard since photo taken
Re: Tomsk's Essex Events
« Reply #1 on: 27 December, 2013, 06:08:01 pm »
....and other thoughts. I've updated AUKweb with 2014 route sheets and information [barring last-minute route checks etc]

The bare bones of 2014's schedule is:

Saturday 26th April 00:01 Manningtree - Green and Yellow Fields BRM 300km [preceded by curry, from 21:00 Friday at the 'Mogul', Manningtree]

Saturday 7th June 08:30 Dunmow - FlitchBikes BR 200km, 09:30 - BP 100km, 10:00 - BP 50km

Friday 4th July 21:00 Dunmow - Hereward the Wake BRM 300km [Preceded by a curry, from 18:30 at the 'Jalsa Ghar', Dunmow]

Saturday 13th September 06:00 Dunmow - The Flatlands BRM 600km

Something else to think about: the Essex SR series will run as last year - four Essex events, calendar or permanent. One Essex DIY allowed.

There's also the 'Grand Slam of Shiny', 50km - 600km in correct amounts - no substituting longer for shorter.....and if you do a fairly rubbish Mersey 24, your 5 points might gain you the SR 2000

Hmmm, G & Y looks like a decent choice that weekend! A & S might be missed due to Brimstone clash. But that 400 is well moveable into some other weekend. Flatlands 600 cal date looks good. But would be moveable if necessary! With a perm 200 of the Essex SR done looks like 2nd Essex SR as a goal would be a good one!

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #2 on: 27 December, 2013, 06:23:14 pm »
I hope to ride one or more of these. I have never done asparagus and strawberries - so that is in as a possibility.

Hereward the wake is in for a possible tandem adventure as well.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #3 on: 27 December, 2013, 07:59:20 pm »
I am planning on the Manningtree 300 & 400 again this year. Last year, I was disappointed to miss the Essex SR series by a diary clash for the Flatlands 600. This year I might try for the 600 as a permanent earlier in the season.

Phil W

« Reply #4 on: 27 December, 2013, 09:05:47 pm »
Added to auk diary for now. Like the start times.

« Reply #5 on: 27 December, 2013, 11:16:58 pm »
*Subscribes to the thread*

will be back in 2014, if not for the great rides it'll definitely be for one of the shiny badges ;)

I have a nice memory of reaching the beautiful Houghton Hall estate on the G&Y fields 300km. Sadly no pictures to tell the tale, I guess I had better do it again :p

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #6 on: 28 December, 2013, 02:30:39 am »
Green and Yellow Fields was a favourite ride of last season - the bit in the woods on the run into breakfast (Burnham deep dale?) was lovely. Just a nice ride all in all. Highly recommended.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #7 on: 28 December, 2013, 05:45:15 pm »
Got the Grand Slam 50 - 600 last season, and all but Flatlands for the Essex SR, this year hopefully no more gout attacks and the shiny will be mine.

Found out at a recent family funeral that Adrian Sharpe, my first cousin once  removed, rode Asparagus and Strawberries last year and I did not spot him. Hopefully a family reunion under happier circumstances in May..

« Reply #8 on: 28 December, 2013, 08:09:40 pm »
Got the Grand Slam 50 - 600 last season, and all but Flatlands for the Essex SR, this year hopefully no more gout attacks and the shiny will be mine.

Same Big S, missed out on the Flatlands due coming worst off with a fight against a mountain bike.
The other 3 rides were brilliant.

The A&S was my 1st 400 as well.

As Arnie says I'll be back.

Mmmm Tom, one question I have to ask is  :facepalm:I may be missing something here, but how is possible to do the grand slam with the 50,100 & 200 all on the same day and only 1 DIY allowed.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #9 on: 28 December, 2013, 08:50:02 pm »
Mmmm Tom, one question I have to ask is  :facepalm:I may be missing something here, but how is possible to do the grand slam with the 50,100 & 200 all on the same day and only 1 DIY allowed.

I believe it is as follows: The rules above are for the Essex SR.  The Grand Slam of Shiny is "merely" collecting all of the AUK distance badges in one season (50, 100, 150, 200, 300 400, 600).  Conceivably, by adding in the shaftesbury 150, and one of the high easter ones (50 or 100) it is possible to get an Essex Grand Slam of Shiny without recourse to any DIYs (as opposed to my GSoS which, although Essexy, did have DIY 100, 150, 200 in it).
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

rob

« Reply #10 on: 28 December, 2013, 09:49:02 pm »
Probably Green & Yellow Fields and Asparagus & Strawberries for me.   The Flatlander is the weekend after the KCA 12hr again.   I thought I could manage both this year, but could still only just walk mid-week.

« Reply #11 on: 29 December, 2013, 04:31:55 pm »
Tom, I hope to participate in 2014 but failing that, a ride from the Mogul to the Jalsa Ghar would substitute nicely
#makewattsnotwar

« Reply #12 on: 29 December, 2013, 07:34:23 pm »

I've seen this on aukweb and it's on my optional-list(the whole list has that status). I can get a night ferry from Hook on Friday, do the ride, and be on the day ferry on Sunday, returning home Sunday evening. And fresh at work on Monday morning!
Thursday after the Germans do their Arrow though, that's also on my options-list.
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: 30 December, 2013, 06:33:43 pm »
Tom, I hope to participate in 2014 but failing that, a ride from the Mogul to the Jalsa Ghar would substitute nicely

:thumbsup: TWO curries on one ride - blimey, I didn't manage that on the Flatlands even - a bit of a tour de Wetherspoons [must try harder!]

« Reply #14 on: 31 December, 2013, 06:41:22 pm »
Father Christmas left me a space blanket in my stocking, so I'm all set for another Flatl*n** bus shelter experience. Going to try for the Essex / Wessex SR double but need to resolve the scheduling conflicts around the May bank holidays, not least with the wife. When you say one Essex DIY allowed, is that any DIY passing through this fair county or does it have to start/finish there?
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: 01 January, 2014, 04:46:25 pm »
When you say one Essex DIY allowed, is that any DIY passing through this fair county or does it have to start/finish there?
Hmmmm...had this query before, but casting my mind back, I think my opinion at the time was out of county starts are ok so long as a goodly chunk of the county is crossed. The main thing is that the majority of brevets are of an Essex persuasion. Hope that helps and I'm glad some of you are treating this with the gravity it deserves  ;)

« Reply #16 on: 09 January, 2014, 12:56:31 pm »
Tom, are you thinking of doing a 150km route at some point so as to get an Essex grand slam.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #17 on: 09 January, 2014, 02:13:45 pm »
I hope to participate in at least a couple of your events this year, Tom. Though history suggests the hope maybe futile! Maybe Perms and a DiY, though, once I've built up some fitness - probably with young MasterC along also.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: 09 January, 2014, 05:53:45 pm »
Tom, are you thinking of doing a 150km route at some point so as to get an Essex grand slam.

This is an excellent suggestion  :thumbsup: - I'll look into it. There is still time to get a summer event onto the calendar - maybe around TdF time in July.

Lars

• n.b. have shaved off beard since photo taken
« Reply #19 on: 09 January, 2014, 08:07:18 pm »

This is an excellent suggestion  :thumbsup: - I'll look into it. There is still time to get a summer event onto the calendar - maybe around TdF time in July.

Maybe a Dunmow start event heading in the direction LEL took coming back South, and then looping back, could be something? Nice roads there and as far as I can recall not many Audaxes heading that way, or?

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: 10 January, 2014, 08:02:38 pm »
I've got an idea for a 150km route - up towards Cambridge, over to Red Lodge, avoiding Newmarket, then back to Saffron Walden to pick up the TdF route as far as rayne then back to Dunmow: 100 miles/165km.

I'd hoped to do 22nd June, but I'm away the week before, so not ideal for final prep. last minute issues etc. I don't want to trespass on the Walden Velo Sportive on the 6th July [day before Stage 3] so I'll probably tack it onto the FlitchBikes Rides on 7th June. Further off from the TdF than I'd like. All the July weekends though are filled with Hereward, Dun Run, Mersey 24......

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #21 on: 10 January, 2014, 09:03:31 pm »
*subscribes to thread*
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #22 on: 16 January, 2014, 12:53:23 pm »
I'm out for most of the calendar rides due to 'other commitments'  so will probably resort to Tom and Herman's perms to see me through for my Essex SR.
Probably will do a DIY 600 rather than that rain and wind lashed eternal tormenting descent in to hell the Flatliners after my lantern rouge performance on last years ride.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #23 on: 16 January, 2014, 01:01:27 pm »
Local friends have told me that the other curry house in Manningtree, the Nirala Tandoori, is superior to the Mogul in terms of vegetarian options and general food. You could always try a different curry house out!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

RideHard

• The London Grimpeur
  • ACH Organiser
    • Steam Rides & Chiltern Grimpeurs
« Reply #24 on: 17 January, 2014, 10:18:41 am »
Great fun last year, looking forward to another Essex SR  :thumbsup:

No convenient bus shelters for us on the The Flatlands BRM 600km...but
Revived by a 2hr kip in Macdonalds, at Spalding and a second Breakfast :P
ACH SR: Dean 300; Steam Ride LOL 200; Quainton Express 100; University Challenge 600; London Circuit 400; C2C; Hadrian's Wall; Chiltern Pub Crawl; White Hart.   2022 AUK: ACH SR; Wessex SR; LEL; LeJog