Author Topic: Raleigh Record Sprint project  (Read 6483 times)

Raleigh Record Sprint project
« on: 26 March, 2021, 05:30:15 pm »
I'm about to start building up this frame.  Raleigh Record Sprint 23.5" (60cm).  501 DB tubing.  Frame weight: ~3.2Kg (minus BB).  Original 1980s ots bike weight: ~11.3kg.

PXL_RRS-L by a oxon, on Flickr

Not going to be a sympathetic restoration - no gold.  ;)  Drivetrain components mainly 105 10 speed - mix of new/ ebayed/ store cupboard stuff.    Mostly silver components, with white bar tape,  black rims/spokes/hubs.  Going with 28mm amber Paselas, then find mudguards to fit - possibly end up with Raceblade Long2s.  I cold set the frame to 130mm oln.

Other day I thought, 'wot no brake outer frame guides', until I realised there are 2 TT frame slots to thread outer through.

Initial aesthetics query...

Frame paint in good nick. So... remove TT & ST raleigh decal, and keep only DT "Raleigh"?  Or, remove only TT degraded "Record" sticker?  OR don't touch any decal?  Decal looks like it just peels off.
Anyone know exact RRS model?  (Mark I/II/III)

Ideas / general overall thoughts?

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Re: Raleigh Record Sprint project query
« Reply #1 on: 26 March, 2021, 06:45:48 pm »
I personally love a bike with a bit of patina - so I'm inclined to leave the labels as is.

I had one in the late 80's - bit it didn't have that fancy gold chrome/red on the frame. It was purely gold and black.

This might be a helpful thread elsewhere in terms of figuring out which mark.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/raleigh-record-sprint-or-not-a-sprint.231829/

« Reply #2 on: 27 March, 2021, 10:59:38 am »
Thanks.  Probably leave the decal as is for now.  I've had a look at online catalogs/serial number info, but can't pin down the date for this particular model.  ST sticker has 8 digit no.  beginning 00, and BB shell has a different 5-digit number stamp beginning with 7....  No letters.   There were quite a few variations it seems.  I suspect this one may have been later with double butted tubing and top tube 'internal cabling'.  Discovered my Zefal HpX pump frame fits well, along the seat tube. 

I've had the frame for years (from relative) so interested to see how it will ride compared to my 531 machine:  74° head angle compared to 72° etc.  I deliberately went for 105 10sp kit so that I can, if needed, use components for the other (531) bike.

ETA.  Found another frame number.  Bottom of the ST, 7 digits - no letters.   So three different codes, and counting...
ETA1.  Frame probably ca. 1988*-90.  Diff model in 1987, and 1991 Catalogs.  Guessing '91 was last yr of production.
ETA2.  Record Sprint 12.  1988*.

« Reply #3 on: 27 March, 2021, 11:17:50 am »
I don't like old frames with new paint, it makes them look like new, in the sense it looks just like anything else you can buy new. Plus it's not original.

Obviously, if the original paint is in really bad condition and the frame is rusty, then a respray is OK.

Just my opinion.

« Reply #4 on: 27 March, 2021, 11:47:44 am »
It's an old frame with original paint - in relatively good condition, but a few scratches/scrapes here and there on closer inspection.  :)   My well used 1991 531 bike frame paint isn't in great condition, but I found that a Halfords car paint repair black & silver mix, gives an almost perfect match.  So perhaps similar to some paintings - nice from far, but far from nice.   ;)

« Reply #5 on: 27 March, 2021, 01:39:27 pm »
When I was a teenager , respraying / painting your bike frame once a year or so was the norm.  One year I’d want red, then maybe green, another year gold.

« Reply #6 on: 27 March, 2021, 02:23:17 pm »
I'm holding off resprays until/if frames needs repairing. :)

edit.

« Reply #7 on: 29 March, 2021, 03:50:56 pm »
Thanks.  Probably leave the decal as is for now.  I've had a look at online catalogs/serial number info, but can't pin down the date for this particular model.  ST sticker has 8 digit no.  beginning 00, and BB shell has a different 5-digit number stamp beginning with 7....  No letters.   There were quite a few variations it seems.  I suspect this one may have been later with double butted tubing and top tube 'internal cabling'.  Discovered my Zefal HpX pump frame fits well, along the seat tube. 

I've had the frame for years (from relative) so interested to see how it will ride compared to my 531 machine:  74° head angle compared to 72° etc.  I deliberately went for 105 10sp kit so that I can, if needed, use components for the other (531) bike.

ETA.  Found another frame number.  Bottom of the ST, 7 digits - no letters.   So three different codes, and counting...
ETA1.  Frame probably ca. 1988-90.  Diff model in 1987, and 1991 Catalogs.  Guessing '91 was last yr of production.

That's interesting - if I were to hazard I guess, I was going to say it 'looked' newer than the old ones.

For the numbers - it was really popular to have the police stamp your bike with in case it was nicked. If I remember, they stamped the bottom bracket one character at a time manually.

10 speed to share parts makes complete sense - when I upgrade parts on my bikes, it'll be towards a common choice.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8 on: 30 March, 2021, 12:30:08 am »
I thought the police stamping was with a post code? I hadn't heard of them using a number. But of course different forces at different times might have done it in a different way. In any case, that doesn't explain why there are three different numbers – though I'd guess the sticker is something slightly different than a frame number.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Re: Raleigh Record Sprint project
« Reply #9 on: 30 March, 2021, 12:07:19 pm »
Ok, here is the new bike...  Not even ridden it yet, so no doubt tweaking to do.    Bars are Nitto Noodles - interested to see what they're like.  10sp 105, triple chainset (cos I'm not  much good on hills and bike may do some 'explorer-ing'), 9sp M591 RD, and Pasela 28mm - loads of clearance; could poss even get to 32mm.

Raleigh Record Sprint by a oxon, on Flickr

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #10 on: 31 March, 2021, 08:09:52 am »
Looks great, nice job :thumbsup:

« Reply #11 on: 31 March, 2021, 08:37:51 am »
Nice! I'm certainly not disliking the decals!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #12 on: 01 April, 2021, 03:53:45 pm »
Thanks.   :)

Had it's ever first ride yesterday - short tester.  Feels very good.  More spritely - than my usual do-it-all bike.

Done a few more jobs - added dropout adjuster screws, shortened chain, changed small chain ring, 'helicopter tape on chain stay, and head tube (for cable rub).

To do: check grease / adjust new shimano wheels, seat stay rear light bracket, and also install DEDA dog fang.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #13 on: 05 April, 2021, 07:13:09 pm »
"Vintage Raleigh" normally makes me run a mile due to the threading, but this is ISO throughout, I guess?  The better stuff changed in the 80s, although stuff like Twenties was 26tpi to the end.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #14 on: 25 April, 2021, 10:42:01 am »
"Vintage Raleigh" normally makes me run a mile due to the threading, but this is ISO throughout, I guess?  The better stuff changed in the 80s, although stuff like Twenties was 26tpi to the end.

BB is ISO - Shimano HT2 fits nicely.  Headset is apparently JIS (27mm 1" Tange).

rogerzilla

« Reply #15 on: 27 April, 2021, 09:10:26 am »
If you want the headset to be ISO, I can recut it (provided there's no chrome, which doesn't do the tools much good).

« Reply #16 on: 27 April, 2021, 11:12:59 pm »
If you want the headset to be ISO, I can recut it (provided there's no chrome, which doesn't do the tools much good).

Thanks for the offer rz.  I'm only really assuming my RRS headset is JIS - based on what I've gleaned from etc Sheldon (tho doesn't actually mention RRS).  Just wondering why the BB might be ISO & heatset JIS...  What's the best way to test for ISO/JIS  I wonder.

« Reply #17 on: 24 December, 2021, 05:10:18 pm »
Done ~2750km on it since April.  Bluemel mudguard clearances are Ok, but probably avoid muddy brideways...   Using a carradice & classic rack really convenient - swap between bikes with brooks saddles...

Second bottlecage had to be improvised with cable ties...  Works well - pretty solid.  May try & get pump alongside forward bottle cage.

PXL_bid by a oxon, on Flickr

rogerzilla

« Reply #18 on: 30 December, 2021, 09:09:21 pm »

Thanks for the offer rz.  I'm only really assuming my RRS headset is JIS - based on what I've gleaned from etc Sheldon (tho doesn't actually mention RRS).  Just wondering why the BB might be ISO & heatset JIS...  What's the best way to test for ISO/JIS  I wonder.
You can measure the crown race seat with calipers.  27.0mm is JIS or, confusingly, Raleigh!  If it's Raleigh it will be 26tpi and you are in a world of pain, but they only persisted with that on low-end 80s bikes.  I keep a bit of 26tpi steerer as a quick gauge to check if a fork is Raleigh-threaded.

« Reply #19 on: 02 October, 2022, 04:30:34 pm »
Testing 32mm tyres.

I have the exact same Shimano wheelset (RS100) on my 531 frame bike, but with 32mm Pasela PT on, rather than 28mm as on RRS.

Just swapped them over and surprisingly the 32mm tyre wheels fit on the RRS - most clearances are all fine, though the chainstay/ tyre sidewall clearance is ~2.5mm, with tyres at 85psi. 

It's an easy swap (without mudguards), as the chainset & F&R derailleurs are the same on both bikes too.  Was thinking of taping the chainstays to see if there's any scuffing during riding...