Author Topic: The Triathlon Thread  (Read 101247 times)

JJ

Re: The Triathlon Thread
« Reply #300 on: 28 June, 2011, 10:34:02 am »
good work JJ! It was a matter of time before you gave in and had a go...  How much quicker is Mrs JJ? ;D

I marshalled at Walden last year, it's a really friendly event. 

There's no direct comparison, which is probably for the best, but I reckon I can still 'ave 'er on the bike.  She'd stuff me on the run and the swim though, so I think I'd be the plucky underdog  :P

Don't tell her that.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #301 on: 28 June, 2011, 10:40:05 am »
Well done, JJ! My own ambitions to do a triathlon this year have failed to get off the ground so far but your report is truly inspirational. Excellent work!

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

JJ

« Reply #302 on: 11 September, 2011, 11:00:29 pm »
Mrs J came 21st of 42 finishers in 35-39 AG in Beijing, and 10 minutes nearer the winner than last year.  She was also seen on TV leaping around like a loon with a Union Jack every time the Brownlees came by at the end of the men's elite. For some reason the cameraman kept going back to her.

Mini, Micro, Nano and Pico J were dead chuffed.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #303 on: 15 September, 2011, 07:31:35 pm »
I believe the current parlance is: *like*
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

JJ

« Reply #304 on: 31 January, 2012, 01:04:38 am »
This year I shan't be doing any audax.  Instead it'll be
Cambridge Boundary Run at the beginning of March
Bedford Sprint 1 in April,
Bedford sprint and Mad Cow sprint in May
Henley Swim in June (shall I breakfast at Leander after?)
Bedford classic in July
Bedford Sprint 3 in October

I'd like to do a long one but a) I'm scared b) they're bloody inconveniently timed c) they cost a fortune.

The Missus is going for the Dambuster and London Marathon, and the kids will do something in the Eastern League plus the club ones.

Yikes!

Anyone else got plans?

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #305 on: 31 January, 2012, 01:36:33 am »
This year I shan't be doing any audax.  Instead it'll be
Cambridge Boundary Run at the beginning of March
Bedford Sprint 1 in April,
Bedford sprint and Mad Cow sprint in May
Henley Swim in June (shall I breakfast at Leander after?)
Bedford classic in July
Bedford Sprint 3 in October

I'd like to do a long one but a) I'm scared b) they're bloody inconveniently timed c) they cost a fortune.

The Missus is going for the Dambuster and London Marathon, and the kids will do something in the Eastern League plus the club ones.

Yikes!

Anyone else got plans?
Other way round for myself. Looking forward to the Mersey 24. Only been wanting to do it for five years

Dont get me wrong, audax will always be my first love :)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #306 on: 12 February, 2012, 04:09:44 pm »
Crumbs.  Lance has been threatening to do triathlon again for so long it's become a running joke on tri forums.

The bugger's just done a 3:50:55 half-iron in Panama, to come second. 

Chapeau.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #307 on: 29 April, 2012, 06:20:30 pm »
<in which Tim contemplates the second bit of competitive cycling in his life>

So, last night I was out with some friends and their friends. And talk turned to Hever Castle Triathlon, and how they have a relay event. presumably this is teams of three, handing over a soggy electronic baton at the transition.  It all seemed a good(ish) idea. I'd do the ride, some other mugs would do the hard work. The women's team would include Mrs. Hall (built, as she admits, for comfort rather than speed) and my not very tall friend. Who has swum the channel a few times. And round Jersey. Gulp.

Anyhoo...Then I had a gander at the price. £95.00 for the adult sprint relay. If that's per team, £31.67 per member. And with a a ride of 20km, that's £1.58 per km. Somewhat above the HMCE approved rate.

Are they all this expensive? I could buy BEER and PIES with that money and still have change for an inner tube or two.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #308 on: 29 April, 2012, 08:54:15 pm »
Are they all this expensive? I could buy BEER and PIES with that money and still have change for an inner tube or two.

Yes. Well all the triathlons I've looked at are (then again, these have been london based). The cost differential between sprint versus Olympic distance is about £5-£10 so you get double the distance for an incremental cost. Just sayin like.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #309 on: 29 April, 2012, 09:15:28 pm »
Gulp! We charge £30 per rider for a two day stage race. And we don't have the economies of scale.

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #310 on: 29 April, 2012, 09:20:35 pm »
Hever castle is one of the dearest, I think. It's a beautiful venue and sold as 'ideal for beginners', and there are loads of relays.  I havent done it but little bro did last year and loved it.

The olympics I've done have been 75quidish, I think the 1/2 iron was only (only!!) 140. 

I know from my local club that even with a huge entry fee, they dont make much profit cos of infrastructure, insurance and the rest.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #311 on: 29 April, 2012, 10:02:45 pm »
Aye, Mike's not wrong.  Sprints tend to be 30-40 quid, too.  That's a howling spendy one. 

« Reply #312 on: 30 April, 2012, 02:06:57 pm »
So, last night I was out with some friends and their friends. And talk turned to Hever Castle Triathlon, and how they have a relay event. presumably this is teams of three, handing over a soggy electronic baton at the transition. 
In the only triathlon relay I've seen (on telly), each competitor did all 3 disciplines.
I think it was each did their 3 legs in turn rather than each swim, then each bike, but I'm not completely sure.

It may be advisable to check before the commitment goes too far.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #313 on: 30 April, 2012, 05:43:20 pm »
Hever castle is one of the dearest, I think. It's a beautiful venue ...
For comparison, typical open bike TT (10m or 25m) is a fiver to enter.

20km at Blenheim palace is £21! Which actually makes £40 for a triathlon look pretty fair.

Generally, Tri prices seem to match up with Sportives. I assume they're also mainly run for profit?

Time trials are nearly always club/volunteer efforts.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

« Reply #314 on: 12 May, 2012, 11:46:41 am »
Right, I am going to do a bloody triathlon. This year. Maybe...

At any rate, I'm going to do some proper triathlon training. So talk to me about bricks. Starting out, what kind of distances / intensity level should I be attempting with my bricks? I'm thinking of going down to the track at Fowlmead - the main attraction is being able to leave my bike somewhere secure while doing the running. Maybe do a couple of laps of the two-mile circuit, alternating with a run round one of the trails? But like I say, I'm not really sure what kind of distance I should be running.

Haven't been swimming for ages either, need to step that up again - not least to do something about my stupid skinny cyclist's arms (the worst side effect of getting fit/losing weight exclusively through cycling).

d.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #315 on: 12 May, 2012, 12:26:40 pm »
... bricks? I'm thinking of going down to the track at Fowlmead - the main attraction is being able to leave my bike somewhere secure while doing the running.
One of our club does the evening '10' and immediately sets off for a similar duration run (I usually see him running along the TT course). His bike can stay with the other finishers/timekeepers etc at the finish/sign-on area. Dunno if this helps.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #316 on: 12 May, 2012, 12:34:22 pm »
Here's a track brick our trainers use:

10 minutes on the bike, 4 laps
10 minutes on the bike, 3 laps
10 minutes on the bike, 2 laps
5 minutes balls-out, 1 lap, collapse :D

citoyen

The Triathlon Thread
« Reply #317 on: 12 May, 2012, 12:52:55 pm »
Presume that's laps of a standard 400m track? Sounds good, though I suspect I might skip a few of those stages and jump straight to "collapse".

d.

citoyen

The Triathlon Thread
« Reply #318 on: 24 June, 2012, 07:42:34 pm »
Just heard that my brother has finished the Nice Ironman (the one Lance wasn't allowed to do). When I spoke to him a couple of months ago about it, he was aiming for 17 hours.

Apparently, his actual time was 10hrs 58mins. I'm slightly staggered - didn't know he had it in him.

d.

JJ

« Reply #319 on: 26 June, 2012, 03:19:36 pm »
Wow Citoyen!  Clearly your bro' has it in him in spades.

Relating to the swimming thread, did Oranj race at Marlow at the weekend then?

citoyen

« Reply #320 on: 26 June, 2012, 04:09:21 pm »
I'm a bit miffed, tbh - he's completely outclassed me in the sibling rivalry stakes, the little sod!  ;D

We've been talking for ages about getting together for a bike ride, and I've been joking about how I'll go slow enough to allow him to keep up, but I've looked at his splits and he did the 180km bike section in 6:00:30, so it'll be more like him slowing down for me...  :-\

If anyone's interested, here are his splits:
http://tracking.ironmanlive.com/newathlete.php?rid=1143239904&race=/events/ironman/france/&bib=1099&beta=&1340721000

(Looking at the breakdowns for the bike section, I suspect that at least some of the ride was in a peloton.)

d.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #321 on: 26 June, 2012, 04:16:46 pm »
I can ride 180km at 30kph - if it's pan flat. I bet it wasn't ... but without climbing figures, Bro's ride is hard to assess.

(but still v. impressive with a swim and marathon either side of it!)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

citoyen

« Reply #322 on: 26 June, 2012, 04:50:11 pm »
I can ride 180km at 30kph - if it's pan flat. I bet it wasn't ... but without climbing figures, Bro's ride is hard to assess.

I know... Frustratingly, I haven't been able to find any reliable info on the bike route but AIUI there's a fairly lumpy bit in the middle - including a few climbs that sound like they'd be rated as 3rd or maybe even 2nd cat on a TdF stage. I'll have to ask him for more details.

How strictly is the no-drafting rule enforced?

d.

citoyen

« Reply #323 on: 27 June, 2012, 09:51:29 am »
Yep, I think there are some significant hills on the IM Nice course, you can see their effect in some of those bike splits.

1800m of climbing, apparently - so not particularly hilly: similar to an average audax without aaa points overall, but all the climbing is concentrated in a few big lumps in the middle. Of course, they're long, steady French-style climbs (with nice long descents) rather than short, sharp English climbs. Sounds like a really nice route.

Saying that, his bike split is probably the one that needs working on. Someone able to run a 3:42 IM marathon should probably be about half an hour quicker on the bike.

Yup, I've ribbed him about that already. You can see the difference in his ranking between the bike section and the other two sections.

I also ribbed him about his transition times - over five minutes each. Apparently, this was due to having suncream applied - the temperature peaked at 35C on the day.  :o

I was passed by a bunch of 6 or 7 going through-and-off on the second lap of Roth a couple of years ago. I sat up, let them ride through and got on with my race. A travelling marshal overtook me not long after. A few km up the road I overtook them all as they sat in a penalty tent, waiting out their 4-minute penalty  :)

;D

d.

citoyen

« Reply #324 on: 05 July, 2012, 01:32:31 pm »
I think I may have just entered a triathlon - only the National Championships in August, in fact.  ;D

The PR dude is trying to set up a "journos challenge" as a way of getting coverage for the event, so I've put my name down. My entry is not confirmed yet though...

d.