Author Topic: Sunnies, spendy or not?  (Read 2426 times)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Sunnies, spendy or not?
« on: 23 May, 2009, 05:21:48 pm »
My lovely sunnies have been eaten!  The nose-bridge flung off into the flesh-eating sundew swamp of Swallownumpty Mire this morning, never to be seen again. 

I has a blinky sad.   :(

Now, I liked my sunnies: Kuota jobbies that had okay optics, but cost just £25 and you got an iridium red lens for that.  Is it worth the extra for big-brand shades?  Are they humungously tough when faced with the kind of gear vandal who thinks nothing of stuffing them in a loose rattly daybag to fight it out, naked, among the other junk?
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Re: Sunnies, spendy or not?
« Reply #1 on: 23 May, 2009, 05:34:37 pm »
I like Blocs but the rubber nose bridge perishes after a couple of years :(
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

border-rider

« Reply #2 on: 23 May, 2009, 05:35:55 pm »
I always lose or sit on mine.  As with watches, bitter experience is that  - on average -  cheap doesn't serve me significantly less well than spendy :)

And I'm someone who usually advocates quality over price.

« Reply #3 on: 23 May, 2009, 05:54:27 pm »
I've had my titanium Oakleys (which cost me over £200) since 2002. I don't really look after them that well, and they're a bit scratched, but still very comfy. They must be pretty tough to have lasted me so well. 

« Reply #4 on: 23 May, 2009, 06:09:26 pm »
'nother vote for cheapish, here. As a cyclist, i'm bound to drop them/stuff them in a pocket with keys/get them covered in sweat.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #5 on: 23 May, 2009, 06:13:02 pm »
For bright sunlight I love oakley gold iridium lenses... absolutely fantastic stoner vision.  Expensive...only get if you are going to be careful with them.

« Reply #6 on: 23 May, 2009, 06:26:00 pm »
My Oakley Monster Doggles are bombproof. I wouldn't stick them in a bag without putting them in their soft pouch 'cause the lenses would get scratched, but they can definitely handle getting knocked about a bit.

Thing with cheap ones is you don't care about losing them/breaking them, and inevitably you do just that. Get expensive ones and you learn to take care. Better to spend £80 every 2 or 3 years than £15 2 or 3 times a year

« Reply #7 on: 23 May, 2009, 06:45:46 pm »
Just found a place that sells the nose bridges for Bloc rimless sunnies. Result, I have two sets of lenses anyway.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #8 on: 23 May, 2009, 08:15:48 pm »
Rayban Wayfarers for me, for that authentic cask-aged Euro-Grimpeur look.  Style over fashion...

« Reply #9 on: 23 May, 2009, 08:36:44 pm »
My Bolle Paroles are 9 years old, and going strong. New nose & ear pieces to replace perished ones (sweat & suncream are bad for the soft bits, but don't seem to affect the frame or lenses), is all. Survived a faceplant into a metre of snow once when skiing (I had to take them off to remove snow from behind them, but they stayed on my face), a rib-cracking crash off-road, & much more. Being sat on does not seem to be fatal.

I love 'em. Weren't cheap, but with all the lenses they came with (clear, dark, mid-brown, pink for white-outs & low-light yellow - one of which I bought separately, either the clear or the yellow - I forget which), the time they've lasted, & what they've survived unscathed, I reckon I've had my moneys worth, & they don't seem to be about to give up the ghost yet. A few more years to go . . . .

They're officially discontinued, but there's a rather similar replacement, & I think replacement lenses are still available, if I scratch any of them too much. If they die, I'll buy something as similar as possible.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #10 on: 24 May, 2009, 05:54:57 pm »
My £2.50 tchibo ones are very little worse than my £120 Adidas ones. They don't scratch less in the bag and the replacement lenses for the scratched ones cost £28 :o. The bloc ones are good, I like the shape, but I think that if you're prone to dropping them in the bag loose (I am) then you might as well get 4 pairs of lild/aldi/tchibo ones and treat them as disposable :).
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Zoidburg

« Reply #11 on: 24 May, 2009, 06:03:14 pm »
I have no complaint about my Aldi oakey rip offs.

I have two pairs, I keep one pair yellow lensed and one dark, I just grab the pair I want in the morning according to the weather and keep spair lenses in the case in my bag.

« Reply #12 on: 24 May, 2009, 06:17:00 pm »
I have a pair of Specialized Adaptalite sunnies which cost me about £50 in a sale 'cos the frames are red, have had them for two years or so, can wear them in absolutely all conditions and they are really comfortable.  If I lost/broke them I'd buy another pair tomorrow

« Reply #13 on: 24 May, 2009, 06:31:32 pm »
I love my Spesh adaptalites too. Perfect for everything but riding at night without the need to stop and change lenses when the weather changes (which is does up here with alarming regularity). And they're white.  :smug:

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #14 on: 24 May, 2009, 11:06:56 pm »
Back in the dim and distant when I was a techy sort, I used to test sun specs for a large high street pharmaceutical company (think wellies). Back then it was obvious that price was no indication whatsoever of quality. I don't suppose it's changed. Use your own judgement.

The mark ups were huge too. 1000% anyone?
There's no vibrations, but wait.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #15 on: 25 May, 2009, 12:31:08 am »
When I was sailing and especially skiing regularly (both environments where there was a lot of reflected light) I always found my eyes more comfortable in my 'expensive' lenses (Vuarnet, RayBan and Oakley).

I've also found that my good glasses last longer - I've only had to replace due to theft or when a moton deliberately ran over the pair that fell from my jersey.

Really Ancien

« Reply #16 on: 25 May, 2009, 12:45:00 am »
I've got some like these.
UK EyeWear> Home  > Kit Cars > DIXON brand T.E.P.S. (Total eyewear protection system)

except that I got them from Lidl for £7.99 and very good they are too.

Damon.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #17 on: 25 May, 2009, 02:16:15 am »
My Rudy Projects are very tough but I do then to stick them in their hard case to protect the lenses from scratching. But then I have screwdrivers and shit loose in me bag.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #18 on: 25 May, 2009, 08:05:29 am »
I have Madison D'Arcs ... cheap, and each of the three one-piece lenses (clear, dark, yellow) has it's own rubber nose bridge, so if one gets lost I can just swap it out for the one on the yellow lenses which i never use.

I thnk I paid about 25 quid.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #19 on: 25 May, 2009, 02:16:29 pm »
I have Madison D'Arcs ... cheap, and each of the three one-piece lenses (clear, dark, yellow) has it's own rubber nose bridge, so if one gets lost I can just swap it out for the one on the yellow lenses which i never use.

I thnk I paid about 25 quid.

They're about £30 now, IIRC.  I'm currently using - and would recommend - Madison Ravens (2-piece lenses), which avoid the D'Arcs' hunt-the-nosebridge feature, and have better frames than EBC's Revolution Blades (dodgy hinges and weak spot on the arms where ear-rubber starts). 

Nicest shades I had were Frogskins - but Oakleys would be a silly luxury for me just now.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #20 on: 25 May, 2009, 02:25:38 pm »
I have Lidl ones

Also have a pair of Cat eye protectors, cost 15 quid now 3 years old.  Designed for DIY not bike riding

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: 25 May, 2009, 05:42:20 pm »
I used to be of the cheapie school on sunnies, but then I bought some Oakleys.  By 'eck they're good.  Better quality vision, more comfortable and I think they look the business.

But durability is probably largely down to how much care I take with them, I'd agree.

By the ones that you like, Andy.  I can see you in some of these:

Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Zoidburg

« Reply #22 on: 25 May, 2009, 05:46:36 pm »

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #23 on: 25 May, 2009, 07:02:05 pm »
I'm gonna get me a pair of those
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #24 on: 25 May, 2009, 09:19:00 pm »
Don't you know, all the fashionable girls are wearing flying goggles.  They're the new Oakleys.

[Warns Charlotte not to click this]