Author Topic: Trains, busy times and using bikes  (Read 4408 times)

Trains, busy times and using bikes
« on: 20 December, 2020, 12:15:25 am »
I'll be moving to near a train line, same one I live near now but further away, and plan to commute with bike by train. It's a 21 minute journey with a 6 minute bike ride to work site. As a result of the first lockdown and the end of my furlough period I restarted at work with an hour earlier n start time at 7am. I used the train last week when my car was out and it was very empty going into work. When I last took it but am hour later it was not that much different. The return journey was a lot busier in the past than this week. My home train is only 25 minutes earlier than the train I used to get.

My question is whether anyone has a view on whether these lower occupancy levels is purely going to be COVID related or do trains get a lot quieter before a certain time? It's a branch line that joins a main line where I got on it.

I'm trying to work out if I can get away with a rigid bike on the homewards train now and in the future. In the past on a later train I'd probably struggle with a rigid bike. I'm thinking a Brompton would have been needed on the later train in the past or at least an Airnimal Joey?

Anyone had experience of branch line regional routes pre and post COVID?

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
Re: Trains, busy times and using bikes
« Reply #1 on: 20 December, 2020, 08:48:45 am »
Which train company is it? Some have a bike ban in peak hours.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #2 on: 20 December, 2020, 12:10:38 pm »
Rail nerd friend says train operating companies are expecting a 75% return to normal levels this year sometime and 100% by April 2022. I was surprised, but numbers had been going up and up and the cut in commuters from increased WFH may not make that much difference apparently.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3 on: 20 December, 2020, 01:37:30 pm »
Rail nerd friend says train operating companies are expecting a 75% return to normal levels this year sometime and 100% by April 2022. I was surprised, but numbers had been going up and up and the cut in commuters from increased WFH may not make that much difference apparently.
Interesting. I had vaguely assimilated that levels would return to or towards, sometimes above, previous norms, but the distribution would be different: fewer passengers on peak hour commuter lines and more on weekend and daytime 'leisure' services. A more even spread in other words.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4 on: 20 December, 2020, 02:22:42 pm »
Even pre pandemic, Fridays had become much quieter on the trains from Kent into London, so changes in working practices were already making a noticeable difference.

Since the pandemic hit, the last few times I’ve been on the train up to London, I’ve noticed that off peak services seem to be busier than peak. But I presume that’s because people are making ad hoc journeys and not buying season tickets. Peak trains are prohibitively expensive for occasional travel.

No idea what the long term impact will be for bikes on trains.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #5 on: 20 December, 2020, 02:46:07 pm »
What about in the North West? Northern and TPE operate the route I use. No ban but when trains have been cancelled and the train is packed cyclists get turfed off, or have once when I've been on the train.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #6 on: 20 December, 2020, 03:32:23 pm »
I commuted on TPE for about five years and I don't think I ever had that happen to me.  If you're regular enough all the staff get used to you.

« Reply #7 on: 20 December, 2020, 08:58:26 pm »
Last time I checked, Northern have no bike restrictions, TPE has compulsory bike reservations.

« Reply #8 on: 20 December, 2020, 09:20:14 pm »
Both Northern and TPE haven't given us any issues with taking bikes in trains. My partner used to take both companies trains with her bike and never had issues.

« Reply #9 on: 24 December, 2020, 01:40:58 pm »
Whilst it's probably for the best, Northern getting rid of the old Pacers means that the days of getting 10 bikes on one train are now long gone - which is a shame on the Hope Valley Line

« Reply #10 on: 28 July, 2023, 08:23:58 pm »
Just been witness to a couple of bad mannered cyclists well one in particular who would not accommodate my shonky steel tourer alongside their fancy soot bikes. The reason I say witness is the train crew instructed them to move their bikes so mine could be strapped against the wall and they could then lean theirs against it. Lots of 'we were here first.' the crew woman had plenty of sympathy from the rest of the passengers. She said that with careful packing four bikes can be fitted in. Bad behaviour carried on with lots of shouting at staff. When I left the train at Carlisle I had a chat 'suprised you did not arrange a reception, she had tried but all transport police were busy at Kendal..

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #11 on: 29 July, 2023, 06:31:19 am »
Seems to be no trouble at all here.  heading south at peak times there is a ban on unfolded bikes past Cambridge, but that's as far as I go so no issues for me.  I have found the right train I think, that is direct to Cambridge North which is a nicer ride through Cambridge along the river, and doesn't stop at Waterbeach where people can be arsey.

I've regularly seen 3-4 bikes in every doorway vestibule with no problems at all, and easily 20 bikes exiting at Ely. Even had an interesting chat with the owner of a newish Canondale last week, about the merits of his new steed vs my airnimal as a holiday bike. His would look more complete of course once he'd saved up for the other fork.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

felstedrider

« Reply #12 on: 29 July, 2023, 09:13:59 pm »
I got the Javelin from Dover to Stratford yesterday.  Incredibly convenient now that I live North of town.

Under an hour but 39 quid off peak.

This was mid-afternoon and it was pretty full.  There’s basically room for one bike in the official space which I bagged.  I suspect I could have used other vestibules as there weren’t any restrictions.

« Reply #13 on: 29 July, 2023, 09:27:58 pm »
I got the Javelin from Dover to Stratford yesterday.  Incredibly convenient now that I live North of town.

For one?
I travelled Dover>St Pancras last month £11 with a Railcard (About £17 without) Bought the ticket a couple of hours before, via Trainline (Other booking services exist)

felstedrider

« Reply #14 on: 29 July, 2023, 09:59:46 pm »

For one?
I travelled Dover>St Pancras last month £11 with a Railcard (About £17 without) Bought the ticket a couple of hours before, via Trainline (Other booking services exist)

I used the machine in the station.  I’d had a faff getting off the boat and getting out the port so picked the ticket I thought was most appropriate with 10 mins to spare.  The cheapest it offered was the £39 with an anytime single being £51.