Author Topic: Mille Pennines 3rd July 2020  (Read 195730 times)

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
Re: Mille Pennines 3rd July 2020
« Reply #1125 on: 20 July, 2018, 04:17:50 pm »
Whoops! I meant that the events should be published in the AUK calendar around the third week of August. I've modified the wording of my previous post to make it more understandable.

Andy Corless

« Reply #1126 on: 16 August, 2018, 02:12:13 pm »
For anyone interested, the Mille Pennines Jersey's have appeared on Force GB's website.

http://forcegb.com/club-shops/mille-pennines-1000-

« Reply #1127 on: 16 August, 2018, 06:57:16 pm »
If anyone is after a Mille Pennines Event jersey, size XXL, I have one to sell.

I bought it after the first MP ride, but the design is the same as the one on the website. It is in very good condition as I have only worn it a couple of times as it is too large for me.

A bargain at £20 (postage included).

PM me if interested.

Ian

« Reply #1128 on: 17 August, 2018, 05:39:49 pm »
The link to the jersey does not work - anyone have a working one!

Season 1 - 211 AAA Points, 120 Club points,  PBP 72h, ISR, Welsh SR, Easter Arrow, Hyper Rand, AAA Champion, ACB Team and CTC champions

Lee Killestein

« Reply #1129 on: 17 August, 2018, 06:36:03 pm »
The link to the jersey does not work - anyone have a working one!

It did work. I think they’ve taken the page down (again).

« Reply #1130 on: 25 November, 2018, 11:04:40 pm »
I wrote this a couple of years ago and thought I'd lost it, but I was wrong, so here it is: https://audaxdarleaux.wordpress.com/2018/11/25/mille-pennines-2016-the-secrets-of-my-success/

« Reply #1131 on: 26 November, 2018, 10:43:10 am »
Thank you for that, Dean.
Another link for your site, Andy?(?)

S2L

« Reply #1132 on: 05 July, 2019, 12:26:41 pm »
I see the 2020 event is up and very tempting, perfect time of the year for me.

I understand the night control is 50 miles from the start/finish, so if I was to leave my car at the start, that gives me the option to DNF without having to think about the logistics, as it's the case in most long Audax events, as long as I make it to the night control.
I also understand there are airbeds and showers, but not blankets, from what I read on some reports.

It might a bit ambitious as a first Mille, but I value logistics over terrain, I pretty much only do AAA events anyway, so I see the climbs as a plus, and would probably get bored stiff to cycle on a flat 1,000. I have done Hardknott and Wrynose in the past, so I am familiar with those gradients and the challenges they present (more going down than going up to be fair), I will probably reduce further my already generous 28 inch lowest gear

Any veteran has advice to offer?

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #1133 on: 05 July, 2019, 01:13:35 pm »

I've done various other rides that are "difficult" such as the K&SW 600 and the Mille Cymru

The Mille Pennines is as difficult as the most difficult ones

I started this ride (2016 version) but did not complete - due to a mechanical day 2.  When I did it the weather was kind, except for a brisk northernly giving a headwind on day 2.  I'd taken my winter coat with me (despite it being summer) and I used it during the day

At the start, I noticed a lot of riders.  I did question if there were that many people in the UK who could do this route.  And there was a high drop out rate.  My only plan was to get to the sleep stop in time to grab one of the bunks.  I am not terrifically fast but just had a good day I guess and I managed to get pretty much the last bunk.  When I woke in the morning (having had a good sleep) the whole place was stuffed with people under tables etc

Unfortunately, my disk brakes gave out later that day so I had to pack.  Would I have made it?  Difficult to say but I think it would have been touch and go.  The route is so slow that it's difficult to get time in hand to sleep

I just read Deano's writeup, linked above and that has all the advice.  His "local knowledge" part maybe I can't do but TBH when I'm in the middle of nowhere I always stock up on supplies when I see a shop that is open

Super tough and relentless, but beautiful

S2L

« Reply #1134 on: 05 July, 2019, 01:32:11 pm »
Thanks for the advice.
Time is normally not an issue for me, I tend to finish first or second in most 200 and in the faster 5% in longer 300 and 400.
Last year I got to Kings YHA at 10 PM. I am good at clearing controls quickly and I don't faff around.
Useful to know that beds are only available for the quick ones, so it is more of a "race" than I thought...  ;D

You mention bunks, but I read somewhere they have inflatable beds? Presumably part of the LEL stash

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #1135 on: 05 July, 2019, 03:36:46 pm »
Thanks for the advice.
Time is normally not an issue for me, I tend to finish first or second in most 200 and in the faster 5% in longer 300 and 400.
Last year I got to Kings YHA at 10 PM. I am good at clearing controls quickly and I don't faff around.
Useful to know that beds are only available for the quick ones, so it is more of a "race" than I thought...  ;D

You mention bunks, but I read somewhere they have inflatable beds? Presumably part of the LEL stash

Logicists are hard to do on these kinds of events and the more recent editions istr have used a different stop off point to the place with bunks that was used in 2016

« Reply #1136 on: 05 July, 2019, 06:03:43 pm »
Rode and finished the event last year and enjoyed it so much I may ride again next year. The weather was almost perfect all weekend so that certainly helped.

Presuming the overnight control stays in Sedbergh (which according to the event website it does) there are plenty of inflatable mattereses in the village hall to go around. There werent any blankets last year however there was a drop bag facility for reasonably small bags so chucking a sleeping bag in there is an option. The hall was warm enough to not need a blanket anyway.

With regards terrain I would say that day one is the easiest riding, it is rolling to Little Langdale where the serious climbing begins. After Hardknott the route is generally rolling with a few hard little digs thrown in.

The start of day 2 is tough going to Hexham and then becomes rolling rather than mountainous through to Lockerbie (Langholm Moor excepted). Lockerbie back to Shap is fast riding and then there is 20ish miles of hard work back.

Day 3 starts and finishes with fairly easy riding but the 30 miles before and after Robin Hoods Bay is purgatory with relentless climbs and the most severe of gradients. I live on the edge of the Lake District but the North York Moors are something else!!

Last year we agreed a group roll out of 7:30am on the last day to complete the ride to Blackpool in an easy few hours.

Links to the ride on Strava for each day;

Mille Pennines Day 1   https://www.strava.com/activities/1685238454
Mille Pennines Day 2   https://www.strava.com/activities/1687422438
Mille Pennines Day 3   https://www.strava.com/activities/1689967411
Mille Pennines Day 4   https://www.strava.com/activities/1690746328

Let me know if there is anything specific you want to know  :thumbsup:

S2L

« Reply #1137 on: 05 July, 2019, 06:19:07 pm »
Thanks...

Yes, looking at your speed day 1 looks easy, and as you say it's only Wrynose and Hardknott (somehow I though it would be the reverse order).
Day 3 is the killer.

I was thinking one option to get more/better sleep is to rent a room in Sedbergh for night 1 and 2... I suppose night 3 one gets back so late that it's not worth it and the day after is just a stroll anyway...

« Reply #1138 on: 05 July, 2019, 06:28:54 pm »
Thanks...

Yes, looking at your speed day 1 looks easy, and as you say it's only Wrynose and Hardknott (somehow I though it would be the reverse order).
Day 3 is the killer.

I was thinking one option to get more/better sleep is to rent a room in Sedbergh for night 1 and 2... I suppose night 3 one gets back so late that it's not worth it and the day after is just a stroll anyway...

Just to put it into context Hugh and myself were the first to the night control on Day 1 so the speed was either ambitious or fool hardy depending on your outlook. We left at around 4am each morning and were back in the evening around 9 to 9:15pm. Struggled to sleep the first night due to struggling to wind down but got a solid 5 1/2 hours sleep on night 2. Night 3 I got solid 8 hours. I/we could have pushed on and got finished in the early hours of Monday morning but really for me these events are about the experience and the people you meet. Didn't really see the point of pushing on but YMMV.

S2L

« Reply #1139 on: 05 July, 2019, 06:37:12 pm »
I think I can probably manage 25 km/h moving speed on day 1 and maybe 22 km/h on day 2 and maybe 21 on day 3... so with a couple of hours off the bike every day, that makes 12 hours on day 1, 17 hours on day 2 and 18 on day 3...

Back to the control around 11 on day 1 and similar on day 2 and around or after midnight on the last day

Doable, in theory... in practice it's a different story

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
« Reply #1140 on: 31 July, 2019, 06:31:54 pm »

Some members might have noticed that next year's Mille Pennines 1000 has wormed its way into the AUK calendar. A few practical details: 

EVENT

Distance: 1001 km
Ascent: 13850 metres
Category: BRM (Brevet de Randonneurs Mondiaux)

THE START

Start: Bispham, Lancashire
Date: Friday 03 July 2020
Time: 11:00 am

OVERVIEW

At 1001 km, with a predicted 13850 metres of climbing, the Mille Pennines 1000 is not the longest or toughest event in the AUK calendar, but it will certainly rank among the most challenging and probably one of the most memorable!

From Coast to Coast, up hill or down Dale, from the shores of Lake Windermere to the shores of Kielder Water, the Mille Pennines 1000 offers long-distance cyclists the chance to ride some of the most spectacular and breathtaking scenery of the Pennine chain all in one weekend!

I've managed to secure the outdoor centre at Askrigg, familiar to 2016 riders, to use as the central base for the first 2-nights (Friday & Saturday). The third night (Sunday) will likely be at Hardraw. There'll be a bag-drop to Askrigg! The intermediate controls will use commercial facilities.

In accordance with BRM regulations:

The overall time-limit will be 75 hours.

No rider will be credited with a finishing time under 33 hours, 22 minutes.

THE ROUTE

The route is essentially split into 4 stages, ridden over 4 days.

Stage 1 is 284 km from Bispham to Askrigg, taking in a circuit of the Lake District.

Stage 2 follows a 324 km circuit of the northern Pennines, as well as an incursion into southern Scotland. Next year's edition heads direct south from Langholm along the A7, cutting out the dog-leg to Lockerbie.

Stage 3 follows a 280 km circuit taking in the handlebar bending grades of the north Yorks' Moors.

Stage 4 is 113 km, passing through 3-peaks country and the Ribble Valley before a final run along the Fylde.

ENTER?

Entry fee: £57.40. When entering online, non AUK/CTC/CUK members will see £3 automatically added to include temporary membership for insurance purposes!

N.B. entry fees are non-refundable and will be taken at the time of entry! The entry fee won’t fluctuate during the course that entries remain open!

Event is likely to be over-subscribed so early entry advised!

Your confirmation email, usually received from PayPal immediately after entering and paying the event entry fee, guarantees you a place on the event! Online entrants will also usually receive e-mail confirmation of their entry from the organiser’s within 72-hours of entering!

** No SR or any other qualification required to ride this event! Entries are now being taken on a first come – first served basis! Entries will close when the entry field limit of 120 riders is reached! **

Entry fee includes, but not limited to:

• Brevet card with detailed route-sheet giving precise instructions
  • Validation with Audax UK (AUK) and Audax Club Parisien (ACP) for successful riders
  • Optional breakfast on the morning of the event (typically cereal/toast, tea/coffee/juice etc)
  • Bag drop to Askrigg (284 km & 608 km)
  • All food & drink consumed at the Askrigg control (284 km & 608 km), and at Hardraw (888 km)
  • Showers (towels provided) & sleeping facilities (mixture of bunk-beds & airbeds) at Askrigg & Hardraw
  • 3rd party insurance for UK based riders
  • Any photograph’s taken by the organiser/helpers during the event
  • Refreshments (typically sandwiches & cakes) at the finish at Bispham (1001 km)
  • Commemorative water-bottle and medal

Entry fee doesn't include:

• Travel expenses incurred travelling to/from the event.
  • Hotel bookings for nights before, during or after the event.
  • Any travel expenses incurred due to you having to abandon the event (taxis, trains etc)
  • Spending money
  • Commemorative event jersey (typically £35 - £45)

Event website address:  http://millepenninesaudax.com/

AUK calendar webpage: http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/20-62/

Entry webpage:  http://www.aukweb.net/events/enter/20-62/

Hope this of help for now!

Want to know more? Check out the Youtube videos from the 2016 edition below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaTE_NRtL_A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBIU38fbiyA

Andy Corless
Organiser
Mille Pennines 1000

S2L

« Reply #1141 on: 01 August, 2019, 12:53:42 pm »
Having (successfully I should add) cycled up Wrynose pass last week, I am less optimistic about my chances... the descent back was even worse...  :o :o

I think I would need a triple chainset and 4 brakes

« Reply #1142 on: 01 August, 2019, 01:30:04 pm »
I see the 2020 event is up and very tempting, perfect time of the year for me.
I understand the night control is 50 miles from the start/finish, . . .  I also understand there are airbeds and showers, but not blankets, from what I read on some reports.
It might a bit ambitious as a first Mille, but I value logistics over terrain, I pretty much only do AAA events anyway, so I see the climbs as a plus, and would probably get bored stiff to cycle on a flat 1,000. I have done Hardknott and Wrynose in the past, so I am familiar with those gradients and the challenges they present (more going down than going up to be fair), I will probably reduce further my already generous 28 inch lowest gear
Here's an estimate of the route Andy will offer: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30720474?beta=false
After 2 years with the control at Sedbergh, Andy has managed to get the Askrigg centre again (as in 2016), at least for Fri and Sat. So the bunks for early arrivers issue will apply, with airbeds for those arriving afterwards - this is only an issue on night 1 as by night 2 enough have bailed or won't get in till after the early birds have flown (to the North Pork Moors). This also means a better run home on Day 4: suggested as 113km (as opposed to the very flat 75km back from Sedbergh). Maybe via Settle edit: Clitheroe: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30720177 - just a guess ("through 3-peaks country and the Ribble Valley before a final run along the Fylde").
Mille Pennines 2016 was my first mille (after a (first audax) 200, Brevet Cymru and the Kernow and SW 600).  Weather conditions were not great on Days 1 and 2, with a fresh wind and some heavy showers, some prolonged. I got an airbed on night 1 but slept poorly. The start of Day2 is brutal: 1660m in 70km across the grain of the Dales to Crawleyside, above Stanhope. I bailed at Newcastleton (450km) - I'd achieved less than half the day's 360km distance in 11 hours - and found a pub. Supper; 11 hours blissful sleep and full Scottish breakfast. Rode back to Askrigg on Day 3, drank with the faster Day 3 riders, by closing time back from Robin Hood's Bay, and then a 100km ride back to Bispham in the morning. High DNF rate the first year.
Returned to ride MP1K 2017.  I was no fitter, a year older, but had planned carefully, aiming to address and learn the lessons identified the year before, in particular where I was going to eat and sleep. Completed, in 74 1/2 hours as lantern rouge, just. By design my last day was 160km (from Ripon) for which I'd allowed 9 hours: see account posted upthread. I plan to ride PBP in about the same time.
I helped at the Sedbergh control in 2018: airbeds and food for all: every night, with the grupetto leaving about 6:30am for Bispham. I also rode the Windermere back to Windermere loop on Day 1, between clearing up at the start and being ready for the first arrivals (@SmuttieSmith and Hugh, I assume) at Sedbergh.
MP1K 2018 went clockwise round the Lakes (so Wrynose then Hardknott) and I expect Andy will stick with that way next year (reasons see thread).
For all the MP1Ks, I swapped inner chainring and cassettes to offer me a 25" gear and maintained a 'no foot down' policy (NB including the Lakeland passes, NYM's Littlebeck and Rosedale Chimney and many other double chevrons early Day 2 and in Eskdale (NYM Day 3)). Only 2 caliper brakes mounted, but @S2L is right to highlight that the downhills are challenging too, hard on the arms and brake blocks.
Regarding the comparative hardness of days, this is affected by the location of the overnight control: Askrigg/Hardraw are an hour plus east of Sedbergh. So in 2016 (and in 2020) Day2 is the hardest and anyone who gets back to Askrigg by dawn Day 3 (606km in 41 hours - seems easy, doesn't it) is very likely to finish. Day 3 is 'only' 280km - 50km shorter than in 2017/2018, with an 'easy' first 80 and last 119. Day 1 will be longer than the last two editions as Askrigg is 75 minutes further than Sedbergh.
The 2018 route is shown here: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/24491995?beta=false for reference.
Changed heading for next year's event.
I'm in. Want a big event for next year and this fits the bill.
BB
Things you only do once:
Finish the Mille Pennines.
Maybe @Bianchi Boy can change the thread title again?

« Reply #1143 on: 29 October, 2019, 09:59:09 pm »
Andy Gregg finished in 2018 at 10pm Sunday (59 hours ish).
Here's his illustrated account: https://thegasmanonabike.wordpress.com/mille-pennines-2018/ (including one of my photos)
Here's his bike in the afternoon sunshine:
https://ibb.co/dEWD2T
Merida Reacto Team
Ultegra (mechanical) derailleurs/STIs
Rotor semi compact 52/36 (but with a 34t fitted)
11-40 cassette (with Wolf Roadlink)
4000S IIs on Fulcrum Racing 3s
7cm lifts under the tribars
'Gas man' Andy completed PBP (unsupported, on the same bike) in 51 hours.