Author Topic: Anyone missing Audax?  (Read 7575 times)

S2L

Anyone missing Audax?
« on: 28 March, 2020, 11:24:08 am »
I thought I would, but I'm not... maybe I should reassess my priorities and stop planning the year based upon which events are on and when... very liberating not having to do massive rides every other weekend to "train" for audax ::-)

Re: Anyone missing Audax?
« Reply #1 on: 28 March, 2020, 11:36:31 am »
Me.

I should currently be part way around 'Another Slice of Rutland' and looking forward to the lumpy bits.

« Reply #2 on: 28 March, 2020, 11:44:43 am »
Not so much audax as missing the company.

S2L

« Reply #3 on: 28 March, 2020, 12:33:36 pm »
Don't miss that either, maybe because I normally ride them pretty much solo all the way

« Reply #4 on: 28 March, 2020, 12:35:37 pm »
Yeah, I'm missing the 300 I would have been organising this weekend - especially the thought of them all riding back into this brisk north-easterly with added sleet and hail :demon:

Phil W

« Reply #5 on: 28 March, 2020, 12:54:41 pm »
Missing the 200 I would have been preparing for and running tomorrow.  Today I rode past the silent and deserted Arrivee and some of the final lanes of the audax.

« Reply #6 on: 28 March, 2020, 01:03:48 pm »
Nope, haven't done one since 2018 as it eats into family time too much.

Was hoping to do the occasional one every so often (Brazier's Run with cycle to/from and Ditchling Devil each year maybe) but things usually get in the way even of those.

Doing more swimming, running and shorter/faster cycling (e.g. triathlon).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #7 on: 28 March, 2020, 01:09:21 pm »
Not really. Trying to keep the momentum going with my double bass playing.  O:-)
Much more diffucult than any 200 I've ever done. ;)

« Reply #8 on: 28 March, 2020, 01:12:41 pm »
Don't miss that either, maybe because I normally ride them pretty much solo all the way

Well, I tend to ride them with friends, so I'm missing that lovely  experience of 8 hours of spirited chat, piss-taking, quiet contemplation and genuine gratitude for other humans.

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #9 on: 28 March, 2020, 01:13:03 pm »
Yes, very much so.  I had a calendar SR for this year all booked up.  Have missed the 200 and 300 already.  I don't think the 400 and 600 in May and June respectively will be held.  With the gained fitness I was then going to do a tour of Germany; the Harwich/Hoek ferry is booked for late June.  Fortunately I hadn't got around to booking accommodation in Germany.  Also missing my weekly 200; the daily 1hr on the rollers doesn't really compensate.
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

S2L

« Reply #10 on: 28 March, 2020, 01:23:00 pm »
Thing is, I am gaining fitness... I lost 3 kg over the past 3 weeks... first time <70 kg for maybe 20 years. I do shorter rides, more of them, but I am much faster... used to average 26 km/h over 3-4 hour rides, now it's 29-30 km/h over 1-2 hours.

Heading towards 50, maybe it's the swan song, but I should probably ride the fast wave, while it lasts and leave the long slow slogs for my 60s.... ;D ;D

« Reply #11 on: 28 March, 2020, 01:59:02 pm »
Very much. Having slogged all the way through the wettest (and windiest?) winter in my adult lifetime to post 40 points on the board towards a third R10000 was really looking forward to spring and summer cycling. Obvs it all pales into insignificance compared to the current health and economic issues, but nevertheless I’m missing it.
Eddington Number = 132

« Reply #12 on: 28 March, 2020, 02:03:08 pm »

Well, I tend to ride them with friends, so I'm missing that lovely  experience of 8 hours of spirited chat, piss-taking, quiet contemplation and genuine gratitude for other humans.

This. Many other reasons too, but as someone living alone, very much this.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #13 on: 28 March, 2020, 02:40:44 pm »
I am missing riding hundreds of km just for fun

bairn again

« Reply #14 on: 28 March, 2020, 02:43:30 pm »
yes.  Id have probably ridden a DIY 300 this weekend - in todays weather conditions Id have done something like Edinburgh-Montrose-Edinburgh .   Id be on my way back by now and enjoying the tailwind and contemplating a stop in either McForfar or Meigle. 

Id an Easter Arrow planned this year too, with some new pals from VC167 that I was really looking forward to and was using as serious motivation to get fit enough not to let my new team mates down.   :( 

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #15 on: 28 March, 2020, 03:06:45 pm »
Yes. I’d been looking forward to riding, chatting and drinking with old friends and new at brevets in the UK, France and Australia this year. All those events are cancelled, postponed or suspended, along with travelling. There is a fair chance that at least one of those friends will be dead by next year, given the statistics.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

S2L

« Reply #16 on: 28 March, 2020, 03:10:02 pm »
Nobody enjoying the extra time you can spend with the family?  ::-)

Are you all living alone?  :-\

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #17 on: 28 March, 2020, 03:16:25 pm »
HK and I are now both working from home (since Friday) but we both get a bit stir-crazy without long rides. My family live halfway round the world and this May was going to be the first time to see my parents in nearly three years. Knocking off an Aussie 1200 at the same time was just a bonus and a good excuse for the flight.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #18 on: 28 March, 2020, 03:36:24 pm »
Very much missing audax. I too should have been riding "Another Slice of Rutland" today. Had planned for it and prepared for it. Mostly using the turbo now. Did a two hour session on it yesterday, just because. Don't think I'll be doing that again soon.

rob

« Reply #19 on: 28 March, 2020, 03:47:25 pm »
Nobody enjoying the extra time you can spend with the family?  ::-)

Are you all living alone?  :-\

2 of us working from home and one teenager home schooling.   We’re actually working quite well as a unit, but I’m not sure how long it will last.

Not missing it yet, but I did go through the wall planner and ceremonially remove all my events up to June the other day.  Quite cathartic, tbh.

S2L

« Reply #20 on: 28 March, 2020, 04:31:55 pm »

Not missing it yet, but I did go through the wall planner and ceremonially remove all my events up to June the other day.  Quite cathartic, tbh.

I kind of felt relieved when AUK cancelled all events... that's why I think I should rethink Audax as something fun to do every now and again in summer, rather than planning event after event...  :o

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #21 on: 28 March, 2020, 05:00:13 pm »
Been missing it since 2016 because heart.  Just about used to it.

Not missing getting out of bed at 0h45 for a 3 am start.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #22 on: 28 March, 2020, 05:22:24 pm »
Its very strange i am missing all my cycling, audaxing , club rides with cafe stops and of course the weekly audax club Portsmouth's weekly ride / pub vist.
I have a few new diy routes planned once Boris/  sport for England/  the auk board allow things to resume.

Still i count myself lucky,  i get to cycle to work every day and get to be out and about every day .
Plus working long hours means lots of overtime.
I really feel for those stuck at home working ,not allowed out etc.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #23 on: 28 March, 2020, 05:31:14 pm »
Yes very much. But I know what the health and care sector is under so really it's easy to count myself lucky.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #24 on: 28 March, 2020, 06:20:21 pm »
Aye - Audax is Pointless at the moment