Author Topic: Everlasting raspberries  (Read 900 times)

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
Everlasting raspberries
« on: 08 September, 2011, 08:44:42 pm »
We are in the middle of our third heavy crop of raspberries this year from the same variety of bush.   ???

I know it seems to be a good year for fruit & veg, but this is getting silly. Anyone else have the same lovely problem?

Re: Everlasting raspberries
« Reply #1 on: 08 September, 2011, 09:44:21 pm »
What variety? We should replant, and have an opportunity to make a bigger fruit garden. Up to now, we've been ok with Glen Ample and Autumn Bliss, but maybe we should consider others.

L Hedley

• "Bring it on"
« Reply #2 on: 09 September, 2011, 08:58:13 am »
My sugar snap peas are going on for ever! I have just given up pickin them as just can't face any more! Maybe it's a sign of another harsh winter to come!  My roses are pretty spectacular too, second flush this year and still budding.
Not just a cyclist's wife!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3 on: 09 September, 2011, 06:27:53 pm »
My parents-in-law used to have some 'forest' raspberry bushes in the garden - I can't remember if they'd taken cuttings, dug up whole plants or simply planted berries - and they would regularly fruit into October. MiL said one year they were still producing berries in November! The berries were smaller but also darker and sweeter than most commercial varieties.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #4 on: 11 September, 2011, 09:48:15 am »
What variety? We should replant, and have an opportunity to make a bigger fruit garden. Up to now, we've been ok with Glen Ample and Autumn Bliss, but maybe we should consider others.

Looking back at the order (Blackmoor Nurseries) I got 10 Prosen & 10 Polka. One variety didn't really take well, but I think it's Polka that are doing the job. I planted them in spring 2009; now I have a veritable jungle of canes, I need to sort them out - when they eventually stop fruiting...