Author Topic: Plains 300 (2023)  (Read 2081 times)

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
Plains 300 (2023)
« on: 09 April, 2023, 01:38:14 pm »
The Plains 300 is nearly upon us. I have to marry a couple of people that day, so I'm heading off between storms to route check on Monday. I've not done this event or route before, so I'm quite excited to explore somewhere new. I've been through Newtown on the BCM - but I think I must be approaching from a different direction. Anyway - remember me in the rain and wind tomorrow.

G.

Re: Plains 300 (2023)
« Reply #1 on: 09 April, 2023, 02:17:15 pm »
Hmmm.  I've only ever been allowed to marry one person - but no regrets!

If the route has remained the same (I did it about ten years ago), it's very attractive - and pretty fast.  Hope you have a great time.  Will you be doing it overnight?

Oh, and a front wheel is advisable ...

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #2 on: 09 April, 2023, 06:02:19 pm »
Last minute bike check. Bald rear tyre. Local bike shop opened up especially... now have Schwalbe One on rear... fitted easy, but can I hell as like get the front to go on. Same tyre, same rims... one on easy, the other I've just given up on. Thankfully the front didn't strictly need changing so I'm okay for tomorrow.

I've split the GPS track into control to control sections. Using eBrevet, so I don't want to accidently ride past a control point alone.

Got front wheel in car already. Won't forget it this time. Thanks for the tip Peter. Lol.

« Reply #3 on: 09 April, 2023, 06:09:32 pm »
I guess Dinky's is still open, have you been there before, G?

Mmm, cheesy oatcakes at Radway Green  :P

« Reply #4 on: 09 April, 2023, 07:03:44 pm »
I guess Dinky's is still open, have you been there before, G?

they do a bangin' cheese toasty there!

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #5 on: 09 April, 2023, 07:40:31 pm »
I'm due to visit, but not sure if they'll be open. I'm packing enough food to complete the ride without stopping!  ;D

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #6 on: 11 April, 2023, 10:38:14 am »
Helper ride done, and one small change to the GPS sent to the organiser, where the GPS follows where the road used to be, but a very minor tweak to the roads might cause confusion.

No roadworks or closed roads. All looking good for this weekend.

Oh my goodness that was hard. I had 150km of headwind and rain. I reached Newtown and had twinges of cramp in both thighs. Honestly didn't know if I could go on. I also noticed that I was getting the beginnings of heat stroke - I wasn't able to drink, I was sweating even though I wasn't exerting myself. I managed to eat some sushi and drink a smoothie, then I made a conscious effort to sip water with rehydration tablets every five to ten minutes. I set off back and the headwind was now a gale behind me. I had to twiddle up some climbs and hadn't recovered at all, but despite feeling utterly spent it took me 2hrs40min from Ford to Newtown and 1hr 55mins back. That was all tailwind assisted. In fact, for pretty much the whole 150km back to Poynton, I was blown along and although there were clearly huge rain showers happening around me, my ride back was in blue skies and sunshine.

A grand day out. God speed to those 60 people riding this weekend.
Graeme.

« Reply #7 on: 11 April, 2023, 10:41:37 am »
I guess Dinky's is still open,
No    :o
No longer 24hr, no longer open on Sundays    :(
It's now a two McD's ride and only one breakfast.

« Reply #8 on: 11 April, 2023, 11:05:32 am »
Thanks Graeme - it was tough out there yesterday (and I only nipped to the shops).

Is the GPS change the Poynton bypass?  it had me very confused last time I rode it.

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #9 on: 11 April, 2023, 12:24:14 pm »
Poynton bypass... yes. Fairly obvious on the way out, but on the way back could lead to confusion and an extra few km when riders are within 3km from finish.

« Reply #10 on: 11 April, 2023, 08:28:46 pm »
I guess Dinky's is still open,
No    :o
No longer 24hr, no longer open on Sundays    :(
It's now a two McD's ride and only one breakfast.

Damn. In memoriam, here's Nighthawks at Dinky's Dinah, part of The Bonk's forthcoming photo essay (possibly). From the Plains in 2015. me with the stupid cap/headtorch arrangement, JJ in red with his back to the camera, no idea on the others.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #11 on: 11 April, 2023, 09:38:16 pm »
Good work @Graeme. Just two rides to go for PBP qualification  :thumbsup:

Is the Plains 300 the calendar version of The Full Monty perm? I rode that perm a few years ago with dad, lovely route tho it was chilly for the end of April. From what I remember it was full fingered gloves and three layers for the whole day.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #12 on: 12 April, 2023, 09:01:31 am »
Is the Plains 300 the calendar version of The Full Monty perm?
It's like a long thin version of the Monty.  Grab the route at Montgomery and stretch it another 10 miles to Newtown.

Captain Nemo

• Defence de profundis
« Reply #13 on: 12 April, 2023, 09:18:24 am »

...no idea on the others.

That looks like Steve Bateman sat next to you, which means that's me with back to camera, wearing PBP gillet, at the counter. 03:30 on my 2015 brevet card. It would have been my first ride over 200km piloting for Steve.

Unfortunately I'm not riding it this year :(. Usually a good show from the skylarks just before sunrise on the run down from Dinky's to Newtown and sometimes a first swallow of summer on the return across the Cheshire plain.

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #14 on: 12 April, 2023, 09:46:17 am »
Thanks αdαmsκι - as the weather turned foul I kept telling myself that this was part of my PBP experience. What I mean is, that I'm telling myself the 1200km of PBP is not the whole story: that PBP is 2700km long and has already started. Solo events are fine, but I'm really looking forward to the Llanfair 400 and riding with others.

Back to the Plains 300 - Peter is very excited to see everyone on Saturday evening. He did say that his highlight is the dawn from Monty to Newtown. I did think that as you come round the corner from Monty and the valley opens up before you, wow, the views are beautiful.

« Reply #15 on: 12 April, 2023, 02:50:45 pm »
Back to the Plains 300 - Peter is very excited to see everyone on Saturday evening. He did say that his highlight is the dawn from Monty to Newtown. I did think that as you come round the corner from Monty and the valley opens up before you, wow, the views are beautiful.
That's good, I was worried the route would be a bit... umm... plain.  ;)

The forecast is now looking half-decent too.

« Reply #16 on: 12 April, 2023, 07:14:13 pm »

...no idea on the others.

That looks like Steve Bateman sat next to you, which means that's me with back to camera, wearing PBP gillet, at the counter. 03:30 on my 2015 brevet card. It would have been my first ride over 200km piloting for Steve.

Well spotted, Joolz, of course it's Steve.

« Reply #17 on: 17 April, 2023, 10:25:14 am »
 O:-) :thumbsup:
Above & Beyond Audax Organisers
Mike & Peter at (closed) Dinky’s. Camper stoves & hot brews, along with usual happy enthusiasm. Respect.

« Reply #18 on: 17 April, 2023, 09:22:52 pm »

+1 to that! Sterling work from Mike and Pete! I was expecting a bloke wrapped in blankets with a biro. To be greeted with this was truly special.

« Reply #19 on: 17 April, 2023, 09:44:34 pm »
+1 more, above and beyond what I was expecting.

Also, pleasantly surprised that contrary to expectation Dinky's was open later in the day for the return, they're advertising for night staff, so hopefully 24/7 service will be resumed at some point.

Apart from those highlights, and the route of course, I found it a tough ride. My first post pandemic 300, but the 200's have been fine and I wasn't expecting this to be challenging, I don't recall it being so last time. Evan as a full value rider that's the closest I've ever come to being out of time, 12 minutes to spare! Equally surprised that despite thinking I was way off the back, I saw about 10 other riders in the last 40km.   

« Reply #20 on: 17 April, 2023, 10:23:55 pm »
I did think that as you come round the corner from Monty and the valley opens up before you, wow, the views are beautiful.

You're not wrong...

Thanks to Peter & team for a great event  :thumbsup:

« Reply #21 on: 23 April, 2023, 07:47:26 am »
Thanks to all who have made complementary remarks, It was great fun setting up at Dinkys, we were going to use gazebos however the cafe looked inviting ! They are having staffing issues and were not due to open . so when they did at 07 00 we packed up as we did not want to steal their custom . Thanks to Graeme for riding on the previous Monday and checking the route and of course Mike W for staying up all night .I am sorting out the validation and planning Plains 300 for next year . If the cafe is still shut  i will be there.
Peter