Author Topic: Brompton Luggage Options. Photos and Reviews  (Read 19818 times)

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
Brompton Luggage Options. Photos and Reviews
« on: 17 June, 2015, 03:36:48 pm »
The "mini-O" bag. £90 or thereabouts.

Got one (for my pink and black blotchy Brommie). Has a built in adpater (no frame required) to slot right onto plastic head-tube block (£15 from SJSC).

It's the absolute perfect size for what I want, something for about town or maybe enough for a day or half-day ride.  Small toolkit, spare tube, keys, phone & wallet (in internal zipped pocket) and plenty of room for a waterproof.

Shoulder strap pops on/off quickly and it's 100% waterproof (but not submersible, it's not an Ortlieb rolltop).  It's basically the Ortlieb Bar Bag with a different mounting system

Bigger

Bigger

I think I may eventually buy a bag frame so I can bodge a pannier on there if needed.

Note. Because the bag is mounted to the headtube it doesn't turn with the bars.  That's great because it doesn't affect steering like a Bar Bag would BUT.. it did take me a while to get used to it.  It's disconcerting at first, turning but the bag pointing straight ahead.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Re: Brompton Luggage Options. Photos and Reviews
« Reply #1 on: 17 June, 2015, 03:45:55 pm »
Thanks for posting.

I've been thinking about finding an alternative to my S-Bag (as bulky and aerodynamic as a small house).
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 17 June, 2015, 04:36:33 pm »
Brompton (Radical) C-bag:  As bulky and aerodynamic as a large house, but if you care about aerodynamics why are you riding a Brompton?

Enough volume for standard commuter stuff, with room left over to grab some shopping on the way home.  Or for use as an overnight bag.  Or for a laptop, geek tools and a big tangle of wires.  Or a quick trip to the local shops.  Or a full set of winter cycling kit, including bike shoes (for throwing in a motor vehicle alongside the Brommie).  That sort of thing.

It's a really nice bag.  It's got the same two bidon-sized rear pockets that hang either side of the stem as the T-bag, which neatly solves the water-on-the-bike problem for multi-modal journeys.  There's also a side pocket that'll hold pens and stuff (but is usefully exactly the right size for a spare tube and pack-and-forget toolkit), a large compartment in the flap, and a small mesh pocket for quickly stuffing things in on the other side.  Internally it's one big compartment with an internal pocket about the size of an early-2000s laptop (the rigid frame handily means that items in this position aren't going to be under any bending stress), and a zipped compartment for loose bits and pieces.  The inside is all bright yellow, which is surprisingly useful when you're groping around for things in poor light.

There's a messenger-style strap, which is very comfortable in use (though over-shoulder comfort of the bag is largely dictated by what you've got in the rear pockets).  Sadly this doesn't detach, so has to be stuffed into the main compartment when the bag's on the bike.

Sadly this bag isn't waterproof, though a little drizzle on a 2-mile ride to the station isn't going to be a problem.  It comes with a fluorescent yellow 'shower cap' which seems to do the job as well as any shower cap does:  That is to say that it's awkward to fit when you're wearing gloves, hampers access to the luggage at the roadside, inevitably doesn't get fitted until too late, and is a real pain when it's windy.

The bag frame is the larger size which isn't designed to work with the S-type Brompton.  In practice you can get away with it if you amputate the plastic carry handle (perhaps fitting a flexible one in its place) - unlike the T-bag you can't overfill it to the point it will foul the brake levers.  I've extended the bars on my S-type so this isn't an issue.

If you're going to only have one piece of do-it-all Brompton luggage, chances are it'll either be this or the T-bag.  On the other hand, the S-bag *is* a better size for normal commuter use.

Kinetics Pannier Rack:

Basically, it's a S-bag frame with the sides lopped off and a cunningly bent stainless steel tube fitted in their place to form a rack which will hold two regular panniers.  That's all there is to it, which makes it both elegant and underwhelming in equal measures.

What it means is that you can put a couple of Ortlieb Back-rollers (photoed) or equivalent on the front of your Brompton, ideally without taking the piss with the 10kg weight rating of the front luggage block in the process - realistically, this is more about carrying your sleeping bag than your weekly shopping.  As the weight is on the bike frame it doesn't affect the steering, though things do look rather odd with large panniers on the front of the bike and nothing on the back.

Lifting the rack off with panniers attached works, but depending on weight distribution may be a little awkward.  Much less awkward than removing a beam rack, though, which is the nearest functional equivalent.  The bike will fold with the rack attached, but obviously it sticks out at the top.

There's room inside the frame that could be usefully used to bungee a waterproof jacket or dry-bag.  Maybe even a water bottle, if you don't already have provision for that elsewhere.

If you have an S-type Brompton, you may need to consider how much the panniers stick up above the level of the rack, with regard to fouling of brake levers.  Panniers that hang down below the line of their hooks are likely to be more successful.  I haven't actually tried my enormous Altura Orkneys on it, but that would probably only be sensible if you were delivering bubblewrap or something.

Also, full-size panniers are going to reduce the side visibility of the front light.  The actual beam is still fine for seeing the road, but you'll want a blinky on the handlebars/stem/front of the luggage rack to be seen at junctions.  (TBH, I reckon this is a good idea with any of the larger Brompton front bags.)

Is it worth it?  If you already own panniers, and want to be able to carry voluminous stuff on the Brompton from time to time it compares well with most of the popular luggage bodges.  If you're touring this could be usefully combined with a rear rack bag and/or saddlebag to give a respectable volume of stuff.  As daily luggage - eg. with a pair of 'front' panniers - it lacks the elegance of the C or T bag (which would give about the same volume), so would only really make sense if you had some niche bike-swapping routine or really liked the panniers.  If you have a non-Brompton bike with a Brompton block fitted (I'm thinking Circe Helios) it might be a positively sensible way to expand the carrying capacity.  But if you're looking to buy some luggage for a Brompton, and don't already own panniers, then it's a very expensive and not especially neat solution.

Carradice Carradura rack-top bag

I'll just mention this for completeness - it's in no way Brompton-specific.

Fits the Brompton luggage rack just fine, though I think it works better facing 'backwards', as this keeps the back pocket from obscuring the rear light, and having a wedge shaped object on the back of a bike with the narrow end at the front (without good reason, such as fitting under a saddle) offends my sense of aerodynamics.

Anyway:  Nylon, 4 velcro straps, decent zips, expanding compartment, side pockets, crap zip-pullers, not waterproof but supplied with yellow shower-cap.  Does what it says on the tin.  Not as nice as the Prima that came before it.

Brompton do a Radical rack-top bag with a bit more capacity, but the fundamental problem of putting stuff on the rear rack of a Brompton is that you lose the ability to flip the wheel under and use it as a stand.  As such, my preference is that this is the last place that you plan to attach luggage to, and if you're doing lightly loaded bike rides something like a mini-O bag would be a better choice.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #3 on: 17 June, 2015, 05:07:40 pm »
Of course I didn't chose a Brompton for its aerodynamics, but it is a shame to plonk something as aerodynamic as a house in front of it when I don't need its capacity.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 17 June, 2015, 05:49:36 pm »
Of course I didn't chose a Brompton for its aerodynamics, but it is a shame to plonk something as aerodynamic as a house in front of it when I don't need its capacity.

Can't say I've noticed a difference in performance (for the same weight) between having the C-bag on the front and a Carradice racktop bag on the back - either it's all dominated by the upright rider and the slow-rolling small wheels, or there's something subtle about the aerodynamics of front luggage...

If you're using it for bike rides, the mini-O bag seems like the ideal amount of luggage.  I wouldn't buy one, because I can't justify the cost over using the Carradice I've got already.  The disadvantage of using something like a C-bag in that context isn't so much performance, but that when you stop you end up with a Brompton in one had and a bag that's nearly as awkward in the other.  A small bag is much more cafe-friendly.

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #5 on: 17 June, 2015, 08:48:02 pm »
There's a messenger-style strap, which is very comfortable in use (though over-shoulder comfort of the bag is largely dictated by what you've got in the rear pockets).  Sadly this doesn't detach, so has to be stuffed into the main compartment when the bag's on the bike.

I have to admit it never occurred to me to do this.  I prefer to loosen the buckle and pull the excess strap through so that the pad lies tight across the top of the bag.  I close the buckle again and stuff the excess loop of strap into the mesh pocket, behind the shower cover.  To pick up the bag and sling it I open the buckle, release the luggage block catch and yank the bag onto my shoulder and close the buckle again.

Kinetics Pannier Rack

I haven't got any sensible photos of this one, unfortunately.  As the weight is on the bike frame it doesn't affect the steering, though things do look rather odd with large panniers on the front of the bike and nothing on the back.

Here's how mine looks with Carradice front panniers:

In fairness, mine is the brazed prototype rather than Ben's production design, and I designed it using a combination of Carradice dimensions and Tubus styling.  The prototype also has a horizontal tube at the front for mounting headlights and actioncams and things.  It works great for small, bitty loads that my panniers accommodate, but I use my C-bag for work trips when I tend to be carrying A4 folders and other bulkier items; my big panniers are the recumbent Arkels.  The pannier rack also works as one unit, assuming the panniers aren't humungous, if you hook a strap around the top rails between pannier hooks.
Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

« Reply #6 on: 17 June, 2015, 09:05:55 pm »
Howies courier bag for me.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 17 June, 2015, 09:43:19 pm »

I have to admit it never occurred to me to do this.  I prefer to loosen the buckle and pull the excess strap through so that the pad lies tight across the top of the bag.  I close the buckle again and stuff the excess loop of strap into the mesh pocket, behind the shower cover.  To pick up the bag and sling it I open the buckle, release the luggage block catch and yank the bag onto my shoulder and close the buckle again.

Depends how you're using the bag, I think.  If I'm travelling by train or something I don't usually bother with the strap at all - the bike (or more succinctly my knee) was made for riding/wheeling, not carrying - so I'm only lifting the bag on and off trains and into buildings with the bike in the other hand, which is best done by the frame handle.

I'll only deploy the strap when I've got somewhere, stowed the bike and am carrying the bag around on its own.  So it makes sense that most of the time the strap is out of the way and easily ignored, and the overhead for digging it out when needed isn't a big deal.

« Reply #8 on: 17 June, 2015, 09:56:27 pm »

C bag on the front, Rixen and Kaul seatpost  extender on the back with an Altura Handle bar bag, makes a great quick release saddlebag  and only takes up a small amount of seatpost so doesn't really affect folded size.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 17 June, 2015, 10:01:38 pm »
Rixen and Kaul seatpost  extender on the back with an Altura Handle bar bag, makes a great quick release saddlebag  and only takes up a small amount of seatpost so doesn't really affect folded size.

...and looks weirdly like a levitating coffee table in the first pic.   :D

Out of interest, how do you find having the bottle cage on the main tube like that?  Presumably you can't reach it while riding along, but I suppose it's a relatively un-annoying place if it's going to stay on the bike when folded.  I'd probably kick it.

« Reply #10 on: 17 June, 2015, 10:23:56 pm »
Hi

I've been experimenting with various bits and bobs from the Foodie loft and Garage and so far have found that Saddlebags tie-wrap really well to the S-bag frame, the SQR system works a treat too and beam racks are a useful addition.  All is revealed here:

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/brompton-luggage-bodge.177620/

As I had the saddlebags already (the pannier in the last photo was a tenner from Planet X) it's been a pretty cheapish project to get here loaded-up for full touring and baggage for every occasion (I also have a Barley and a Zip-roll)!
When Brompton Bags are £100 a throw or near-enough, bodges are cheap effective and very satisfying :-)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #11 on: 17 June, 2015, 11:47:21 pm »
We've got a Carradice-&-Nitto-made Touring Bag (now looking quite tired), the original S-Bag and Ortlieb's Brompton/Handlebar Bag. Might dig out some photos later.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #12 on: 18 June, 2015, 06:24:27 am »

Out of interest, how do you find having the bottle cage on the main tube like that?  Presumably you can't reach it while riding along, but I suppose it's a relatively un-annoying place if it's going to stay on the bike when folded.  I'd probably kick it.

On shorter rides it's not a great solution, for longer rides like the one in the picture where there isn't lots of getting off and unfolding it works quite well although easy to knock. On the trip above I wanted extra capacity and had another bottle in one of the c bag pockets.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #13 on: 18 June, 2015, 03:08:48 pm »
Thought I'd post a link to the KINETICS Pannier Rack as mentioned above.

I'd never heard of it but it seems to be a work of genius.  I have 2 Ortlieb front panniers that would be perfect.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #14 on: 18 June, 2015, 03:12:58 pm »

I thought mine was the only garish Brommie in the village.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15 on: 18 June, 2015, 05:44:33 pm »

I'd never heard of it but it seems to be a work of genius.  I have 2 Ortlieb front panniers that would be perfect.

I've updated my post above with some decent photos of it...

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #16 on: 18 June, 2015, 09:51:26 pm »

Looks great.  Once I get my Motorhome I think my Wife will inherit the Pink and Black Splodgy (Pabs) 3 speed and I'll get an S6 with Kinetics rack.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #17 on: 19 June, 2015, 09:00:31 am »

Does this "Flying-V" configuration constitute "Aero"?  It just needs a nose cone and you can TT on it.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #18 on: 19 June, 2015, 12:46:11 pm »
Just playing with my Brommie and a Burley Travoy trailer.

A good solution for my motorhome plans I think, though not an Aero solution.

« Reply #19 on: 22 June, 2015, 03:36:54 pm »
I'm using a Demano bag(Spanish company) that I bought from BFold in New York City.
Used it in the rain a few times. Waterproof as is; no cover needed. Plenty of pockets; will
fit a 17 inch laptop. Have used it as a carry on bag while I checked the Brompton on my
last trip to Los Angeles. While some companies may offer 3, 4 or 5 different colors;
Demano comes in about 20 different designs/colors.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt5Mzmv7hCk&index=27&list=UUHyRS8bRu6zPoymgKaIoDLA

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #20 on: 19 November, 2015, 09:59:51 pm »
Now the budget(ish) option:

This is the original T bag on the front, I think this is better than the newer design, but that may be just cos I'm used to it.

On the back is a Carradice SQR rack, with an Alpkit 35L dry bag. Since this picture I've managed to consolidate my camping kit such that it actually all fits in the dry bag on the back.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #21 on: 21 May, 2021, 06:21:10 pm »
There is also the misty mornings Bromptolieb which balances the in front of stem cantilevered load with panniers behind stem/front rack ( I am not sure I would exceed the brompton blocks weight limit so much?).....

ttps://mistymornings.net/blogs/mm/?p=163

https://mistymornings.net/blogs/mm/?p=123

A simpler DIY version could be a 10mm/12mm alloy rod hung from brompton luggage frames top bar, with pannier lower hooks using brompton luggage frame side or lower bars (I am presuming either cutting cutouts in std T bag or using non standard luggage in front of front luggage frame)....?

NB  I am surprised I can find no one who has made a conventional front pannier rack for their Brompton, as Bike friday eventually made a 2 pannier one for the Tikit. On a Brompton a conventional rack is going to be a low rider anyway.....The tern spartan's low riderness seems a bit pointless to me....

« Reply #22 on: 14 June, 2021, 04:16:26 pm »
Further to my last post, an even simpler mistymornings inspired front luggage system would be the shorter S type/game bag frame with a front bag (or pair of rectangular panniers) attached with modern pannier upper hooks and lower hook, with two smaller bags/panniers on rear again attached using modern pannier hooks ....?

The large 21L ortlieb office bag already comes with clips (although top rail needs moved) and fits luggage frame neatly:
https://karlonsea.wordpress.com/2010/12/23/fitting-an-ortlieb-office-bag-to-a-brompton/

« Reply #23 on: 14 June, 2021, 11:49:53 pm »
I have a Brompton bag, but I tend to use a variety.

Standard Ortlieb pannier on a variation of the Instructables mount:

Small Ortlieb "handbag" for wallet, keys etc. used facing backwards in combination with the above:

Perhaps more unusual, someone on Facebook pointed out that an R&K Uniklip mount can be adjusted to fit a standard Brompton rear rack and give a bag that unclips instantly for folding:

The bag I have there is an Ortlieb one, but wasn't actually made for the mount, and I had to fit that myself.

« Reply #24 on: 15 June, 2021, 03:37:44 pm »
I have a luggage arm made by Steve Parry that clamps to the seat post and has a Brompton block 10" away on the other end.
It means that you can carry a second bag there. I used a Brompton touring bag on the front and a Brompton zipped shopping bag on the rear which was more than enough for non Winter camping kit.
My second fall, after some years earlier falls from F frame Moultons, reminded me why I dislike 16" wheels and the Brompton has gone in favour of 20" wheeled bikes.

Never knowingly under caffeinated