Author Topic: A random thread for small entertainment things not warranting their own thread..  (Read 284483 times)

I felt that it was a bit of a mistake having Godfrey Bloom on HIGNFY this evening. OK, he made an arse of himself and was guilty of some spontaneous racism, asking why Krishnan Guru-Murthy had an Irish name and a Welsh accent. Victoria Coren was seriously unimpressed with his raw prejudice.

People like Bloom are really at their best when you can neither hear nor see them.

Yeah, not sure he should have been given airtime myself, but I suppose 'good' telly/ratings trump that  >:(

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
I think you need to teach those tyres a lesson, show them who's boss, let them know that this won't be tolerated.

Park TL-5's

Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
I felt that it was a bit of a mistake having Godfrey Bloom on HIGNFY this evening. OK, he made an arse of himself and was guilty of some spontaneous racism, asking why Krishnan Guru-Murthy had an Irish name and a Welsh accent. Victoria Coren was seriously unimpressed with his raw prejudice.

People like Bloom are really at their best when you can neither hear nor see them.

Yeah, not sure he should have been given airtime myself, but I suppose 'good' telly/ratings trump that  >:(

The only saving grace that I could see was that he was so obviously out of his depth intellectually that he really did look like the moron he is. However, the wit and wisdom of the other five on the programme were such that it just looked like bullying. It would have been a lot better to have had someone with a bit of grey matter on.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
This has probably been said by others before me but I don't normally watch the show so don't think about it much...

It has struck me that Strictly Come Dancing is a staggeringly heteronormative format, which is normal for TV on the whole but might be considered slightly surprising when you take into account the relativity high proportion of gay people among the dancers and judges (and, dare I say it, probably the audience too).
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

clarion

• Tyke
And the fact that Strictly Ballroom, from which the programme gets part of its title, is a very gay film.
Getting there...

Chris S

Oh dear. It's very sparkly out there tonight. I fear the Starks were right.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Driving back from Teesside Park on Saturday (which was  a nightmare of ignorant Smoggies out doing their Xmas shopping), I put the radio on and Radio 1 had a horrendous cacophany that they called "Dance Anthems", after enduring about 2 minutes of that, TLD said "Can we have some other music on, please Daddy, I would like Smoove and Turrell".

Of course I agreed and the whole journey became much nicer :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

The poster for the new 'Hunger Games' movie really irritates me.

She's supposed to be a super-skilled archer. The poster shows her with her finger hooked over the arrow. FFS, didn't they employ anyone on set who knew anything about archery?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

She's supposed to be a super-skilled archer. The poster shows her with her finger hooked over the arrow. FFS, didn't they employ anyone on set who knew anything about archery?

Could be worse - Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye in Avengers Assemble was roundly panned for having very poor archery form:

http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2012/03/avengers-hawkeye-archery/
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Could be worse - Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye in Avengers Assemble was roundly panned for having very poor archery form:

http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2012/03/avengers-hawkeye-archery/

Renner's form isn't good, but I don't think that reviewer has ever shot a bow off a range.

Shooting while moving or on rough ground is very different and all those comments and not tilting bow and suchlike are pfft.

The finger-over-the-arrow is something most people instinctively do when they first pick up a bow and arrow. It's the first thing the coach gets them to stop doing. It will make the arrow go all over the place,  possibly pull it off the rest (which can result in an arrow going sideways from the bow; I've seen it happen). Even if you then manage to shoot, the fletches will make a real mess of your fingers.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
Blimey. Competent sound in Fibbers!

clarion

• Tyke
Get your ears checked
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse

It's Thrusday night, it's amateur hammond organ recital night, take it away, Skutters?

Must have had a guest sound engineer in.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

tiermat

http://www.thebasementyork.co.uk/event/1971/

Friday 20th December, Basement, York.  I have to declare that I am a big fan of Terrorvision and Laika Dog (Tony the lead man's side project), having been to close on 20 of their gigs over that last *coughcough* years.

End of term, Mad Friday, end of year for me, a gig? All good :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

CrinklyLion

The band brought their own....

The band brought their own....
pmsl that really does say it all.

I know the sound engineer's job is difficult. I know bands are unhelpful (I realised how unhelpful they normally are when I took a sheet of settings for British Sea Power to the sound engineer; his face lit up like I'd just handed him the holy grail). But Fibbers has been legendarily crap for many years. The engineer's speciality is utterly unaudible vocals. I think he was in love with a lead vocalist once, who dumped him for the drummer. He's never recovered from the humiliation and takes it out on every singer who stands on stage in Fibbers.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

CrinklyLion

Strictly just made me swear a bit.

"Oh give over prannying about and get into fecking hold will you!".

Yeah, Nat and Artem can go home as far as I'm concerned.  Bored now.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I'm just watching TOTP 1978 from earlier. Legs & Co are dancing to Instant Replay wearing very tiny very glittery bikinis. The cameramen are doing lots of close-ups.

I remember Pan's People....ahhh..Lovely Babs......I forget her name.  (Norman Stanley Fletcher - Slade Prison).

Babs Lord.
Her mother taught us Speech.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
Bees in the bonnet time...

Every year for the last 10 or so years when a new Pterry book is published, I find myself wondering; who will replace Vetinari? It would be out of character for the character not to want Ankh-Morpork and its allies to continue to thrive therefore it seems unlikely that he would leave his replacement to chance. Who is Vetinari keeping an eye on as a possible successor? Who is being trained for the role without necessarily being aware that he or she is being trained? 

For a while I thought that Vimes might be a candidate, but I think that he is perhaps too much of a late-comer to low politics and altogether too honest and straight-forward and, if in charge, would lapse into authoritarianism. Carrot is likewise far too honest, although he has shown disturbing signs of subtlety. However he more or less explicitly ruled himself out as a possible ruler at the end of Men At Arms? Guards, Guards? I forget which.

Of the other characters Von Lipwig is the only one that seems to be cunning enough to survive as a politico, but he doesn't seem to have that core of logic, I was going to say cruelty, but there's no maliciousness in Vetinari's decisions unless you are a mime, that allows V. to stand back and see what is the best, or least worst, course of action.

Drumknott? No. I think not. A man who prefers constrained problem domains. It also seems to me (and I've no idea why this should be so) that Drumknott and Vetinari are of an age.

Ah, well. Perhaps the question will be answered in the next book.

Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

tiermat

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/christmas-comes-early-justin-bieber-announces-retirement-from-music-9012243.html

That whineing Canadian Bitch did that some years ago, and I see now she has made a come back :(  Fortunately, for the TV, I was out of the room when she was on Strictly on Sunday...

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
I've just watched an American version of Flog-it!

People bring their guns, knives and swords to be valued before they get auctioned.

Called Lords of War
216km from Marsh Gibbon

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/christmas-comes-early-justin-bieber-announces-retirement-from-music-9012243.html

That whineing Canadian Bitch did that some years ago, and I see now she has made a come back :(  Fortunately, for the TV, I was out of the room when she was on Strictly on Sunday...

GN: The forum atheists can relax, there is no god after all...

BN: Bieber is only taking a break for a year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/25445698

"Next year he is just taking a break to just make music and relax and take time to himself. It's the first time [he's had a break] since he was 12."

Taking a break to make music? That'll be a first for him then.  :demon:

I took my niece and sister (her aunt) to the panto yesterday.

Snow White at South Hill Park arts centre in Bracknell.

Dwarves had been replaced by the Dame and 6 children including one who was mute and a mime artist. All good fun with the script including a couple of references to the current redevelopment of the town centre and encouraging the children to help tidy up the theatre after the interval icecreams etc.

A highly enjoyable evening with an excited 6 year old and the bonus of letting Mum have an adult evening on her birthday and niece and nephew then came back here to Granny's for the night.