Author Topic: A random thread for small entertainment things not warranting their own thread..  (Read 287168 times)

I don't watch much of anything, but I just walked into someone's house with a TV on. I was very amazed to read the name of this food programme from the on screen ident. "Kitchen" and " best bites" was OK, but the other word...... 

Then I realised that the "sa" at the start and the "ay" at the end had camouflaged themselves into the background.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Was the bit in the middle "James Martin"?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
My choir is currently practising Rossini's "Petite Messe Solonnelle" for a concert next month. You don't gain the full impression of a work when you only practise the choruses. I think he misnamed it. It's for full orchestra and choir and lasts about 15 minutes longer than Beethoven's 9th symphony.

if Rossini wrote a Grande Messe Solonnelle then I don't think our superannuated lot would ever have the energy to perform it. As it is, a couple of the choruses we are doing require a fair bit of stamina.

If anyone fancies a listen, it's here:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/uFGzmTLTjA8&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/uFGzmTLTjA8&rel=1</a>
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Petite Messe Solonnelle was the first piece we sang when I joined Uxbridge Choral Society in 1993.
Wonderful.
Enjoy!

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
Signs of spring: Just cancelled my Netflix subscription, in favour of a Eurosport Player subscription for the cycling season.

This morning will be spent drinking tea, eating toast and catching up on KBK and Le Samyn  :thumbsup:

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
I bloody love Call the Midwife.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
This morning will be spent drinking tea, eating toast and catching up on KBK and Le Samyn  :thumbsup:

If you didn't see it yet, make sure you watch highlights of Saturday's Strade Bianche. Fantastic race.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
+1 to what Citoyen says, fantastic race.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
I'll have a look tonight but I think the selection of on-demand video on Eurosport Player isn't as comprehensive as I'd like.

Also, the "live" feed of Paris-Nice yesterday was actually on about a half-hour delay. Mental note to avoid Twitter. :(

Ruth

Did anyone see the thing about old bicycles yesterday on that awful daytime antiques programme? It was on the telly in my coffee break at work yesterday.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
The jukebox in the Blue Lamp in Aberdeen just got a mention on 6music  :thumbsup: Nostalgia!

clarion

• Tyke

Any so-called journalist who can't tell the difference between Alice Cooper and Kiss should have their typing finger chopped off >:(
Getting there...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
I've just watched Legs & Co dancing to Sultans of Swing on TOTP1979.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Watching "Dear John" on DVD.  The third programme of series 1 (the one with the disco and the dead terrapin) is possibly the funniest piece of TV comedy ever.  And I really had a MILF thing for Belinda Lang back then.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Any Legs & Co video with the sound down is the PERFECT accompaniment to the Craig Charles Funk & Soul Show,  it really works.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Temporarily (no speaker stands) the stereo speakers are plonked on the edge of the fireplace.  There is a buzz at a particular bass frequency with classical music (Classic FM is on, sounding awesome through a gert FM aerial).  I feel like Martin Hannett wiuth Joy Division's drumkit...I can't get rid of the buzz and the standard fix (blu-tack) isn't anywhere to be found.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
I used last night's insomnia to watch Farscape: Peacekeeper War, reminding myself how much I enjoyed the overall series.

Aeryn Sun (Claudia Black)  :-*
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Just been listening to "After Henry" again on the iThing.  It's all very lovely, typical Simon Brett stuff. A bit of digging reveals that Clare, the granddaughter, is played by Gerry Cowper, who has misc. roles in Eastenders, The Bill and so on. But the winning one was playing the alleged missing girl Rowan Morrison in the Wicker Man.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Rihanna vs Avril Lavigne

Ok, they belabour the point, but the Avril Lavigne ones are wonderfully awkward.

Ruth

What the bloody hell has happened to Barry Manilow's face?

Is he some kind of android?

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow

I'm sorry.

Last week I caught 2/3 rd s of  Issie Sutties "Love Letters " on R4.  It made me laugh during an extremely busy and stressful week.
As a cynical and jaded northerner,I  have become immune to a lot of R4 content.
I have now listened to the whole prog on i-player and it's a  really well crafted monologue performance.
 This type of comedy from a woman  is rare and so much better than Sarah Millicans foul mouthed tripe.  Look for "George and Louise".

She also contributed to a Great Lives prog about Jake Thackray. That's worth listening to as well.

clarion

• Tyke
Listening to Radio 4xtra, I was overcome with sadness.  It was the beginning of the second series of the sitcom Albert & Me.  While it isn't great, that wasn't the reason that I was saddened.  More that it was Robert Lindsay (an actor I very much admired since I first saw him as Wolfie Smith), taking over from Richard Beckinsale, who had died at a ridiculously early age.  I loved Beckinsale, who I'd seen in Porridge, Going Straight, and a few other things, and it was a shock to find out that people can die unexpectedly.  It affected me greatly at the time.
Getting there...

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Last week I caught 2/3 rd s of  Issie Sutties "Love Letters " on R4.  It made me laugh during an extremely busy and stressful week.
As a cynical and jaded northerner,I  have become immune to a lot of R4 content.
I have now listened to the whole prog on i-player and it's a  really well crafted monologue performance.
 This type of comedy from a woman  is rare and so much better than Sarah Millicans foul mouthed tripe.  Look for "George and Louise".

She also contributed to a Great Lives prog about Jake Thackray. That's worth listening to as well.

I cried at the end of one of the love letters. The one where the couple communicated by morse code, and he was building a shed for her. They were going to run away to France, but didn't. Very sad.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)