Author Topic: A random thread for small entertainment things not warranting their own thread..  (Read 288263 times)

Somebody ought to teach the reincarnation of Joyce Grenfell Kate Humble how to do voiceovers on that Orbit Round the Sun programme so that she doesn't sound similar in texture to the gift in Trafalgar Square supplied by Norway. I don't like her at the best of times, but her voiced input is awful.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Chris S

She was the main reason I turned that programme off after about three minutes.

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
You are all to tune your wirelesses to BBC Radio 3 at 18:45 next Sunday, December 14th, for "The Supernatural North" in which Eleanor Rosamund Barraclough visits Norway in search of the supernatural icy world that haunts the imagination of writers like Philip Pullman and A.S. Byatt.  Never mind them, though, it also features Dr Larrington.

Missed this, but will iplayer-thing it.  Being as how I did actually walk past the very Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society, mentioned therein, in Hammerfest on my holibobs.  And I did hear a clip of the programme on Radio 4's Pick of the Week last Sunday, in which your intrepid reporter (no, not me, her) was inducted into the society by being 'knighted' with a walrus penis bone.  It's not every day you hear that.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Adam Buxton's Shed Of Christmas was on Sky Arts last week but is well worth catching up with on demand if you missed it. Just a load of random Christmas themed nonsense. Very silly, very amusing.

http://www.sky.com/tv/show/adam-buxtons-shed
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

Putting my feet up at the weekend to survey the sundry offerings on Amazon Instant and I saw some serial killer nonsense (The Following) with Kevin Bacon (which in our house is always pronounced like Kevin Turvey) which I thought suitably festive (to be honest, serial killers are about as scary as zombies, though admittedly you're more likely to find a serial killer in your wardrobe). It's pretty much what you expect. Kevin looks Kevin-y (and you expect him to start advertising mobile phone networks), the bad guy is English (this trend continues and all an English person will need to do is sneak up behind an American and say hello and they'll shock and awe their stars and stripes underwear), they're been reading the playbook. That's all by-the-by, the weird thing is that we've both seen it before. With the first episode there was déjà vu. Ah, we think, probably watched it on an aeroplane. Now four episodes in we can remember the entire series. Everything other than where we saw it. It's odd, it came out in 2013, we don't have terrestrial TV or Sky (where it aired), it's not in my Amazon history, we don't have the DVDs. We don't even watch much TV, perhaps an hour in the evening. How did I misplace about fifteen hours of TV? Good job it's not a programme about aliens, that kind of missing time has to be reported.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Maybe Kevin Bacon implanted it in your brain through your mobile phone.

Never mind, you can make a hat once you've taken the turkey out of the tinfoil, just in case he tries to put Flatliners in there too.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
You saw something else but due to the Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon wossname...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

Maybe Kevin Bacon implanted it in your brain through your mobile phone.

Never mind, you can make a hat once you've taken the turkey out of the tinfoil, just in case he tries to put Flatliners in there too.

Hmm, perhaps a Twitter virus.

I'm more worried about Footloose, tbh. Reminds me, I had to explain the Footloose joke from Guardians of the Galaxy to one of the mothership minions. She patiently explained that that was from 'before [she] was born' like that's any kind of excuse. I dunno what they teach kids in school these days.

Oh oh, earworm in 3,2,1, everybody cut FOOTLOOSE...

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Footloose makes me think of the Singing Owls in Reeves & Mortimer.

Having had Strictly Come Masochistically Endure Bruce Forsyth inflicted on me - and Michael Feckin' Bublé - it seems that Sir Bruce finds reading autocue rather challenging these days, so do the kind thing, BBC, and rip up next year's invitation or simply take him out and shoot him, please.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
The trailer for that promised "all your favourite entertainers" but I happen to know that Messrs Bowie and Ferry had other plans, so as well as being a senile old git, Forsyth is a liar too.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

That, I assume, was the edited, best version, so I wonder how bad the out takes were?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
I have jst been reminding myself of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNxr3ldkaco

Wonderful stuff!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
New series of "The Infinite Monkey Cage" starts on Monday January 19, R4, 16:30.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Ahhh, nothing like a bit of Schönberg to get me to switch off Radio3.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Doing the ironing and watching In The Shadow of the Moon.

I can't watch the bit about Apollo 1 without crying.  So terrible.
Milk please, no sugar.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Why must my i-Pod always play Amon Amarth when I put it on Shuffle?

Must remember to get rid of that.
Milk please, no sugar.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Set up a smart playlist such that it doesn't play Stuffs it's already played before?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Why must my i-Pod always play Amon Amarth when I put it on Shuffle?

It's cursed, obviously.  It's like tapes left in cars turning into Queen.  You can't fight it.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
I have just had an email about this year's Deershed lineup.

It includes:
The Unthanks
James Yorkston
The Wedding Present
John Grant

and

BILLY BRAGG!!!!!

http://deershedfestival.com/music/
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Went to flicks with Aged Parents. Tickets for parents & me - £16.60
'Small' Fanta for Dad and water for Mum - £5.80.

Auditorium empty at front and maybe 20  punters at back.

Vue reception area horrible; constant noise of ventilation and muzak, poor light, difficult to find information we needed.

Parents could not leave fast enough.

Vue reception area horrible; constant noise of ventilation and muzak, poor light, difficult to find information we needed.

You forgot to mention the squelchy worn carpet and stench of stale popcorn.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Eccentrica Gallumbits

I don't care what the miseries say, I'm in the Mood for Dancing by the Nolans is one of the best records ever made. Fact. #totp1980

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Because idleness I found myself watching "This Week" just now.  Matt, er, um, er anyway prawns featured prominently.  In it.  And they played The Soft Boys' "Where Are The Prawns?"  Blimey!

Eccentrica Gallumbits