Author Topic: A random thread for small entertainment things not warranting their own thread..  (Read 284515 times)

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Watching Frasier, and the woman playing the Doula is very, very familiar.

Not being married any more I had to resort to the information button on my remote and Google and found out that it was Ann Magnuson, who played the murdered secretary in Clear and Present Danger with Harrison Ford.

Saves obsessing about it all day!
Milk please, no sugar.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Ruthie, I have watched the first 2 eps of Dicte and have considered it good enough to watch the rest :)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Ruthie, I have watched the first 2 eps of Dicte and have considered it good enough to watch the rest :)

Do you love her too?

And how nice are Wagner AND Bo?
Milk please, no sugar.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
When very young babies have to cry in films, how do they start it?  A quick jolt of 240v up the wazoo or does "Mummy" slide a crafty needle through the swaddling clothes?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter

Do you love her too?

Pingu says he wouldn't want to live near her as she keeps tripping over dead bodies.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Ruthie

• Her Majester

Do you love her too?

Pingu says he wouldn't want to live near her as she keeps tripping over dead bodies.

And then weeing on them  ;D
Milk please, no sugar.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
When very young babies have to cry in films, how do they start it?  A quick jolt of 240v up the wazoo or does "Mummy" slide a crafty needle through the swaddling clothes?

I thought they weren't allowed to show babies crying in films.  Or maybe it's just British TV drama or something.  Anyway, it's certainly not uncommon to dub crying over an image of a not-crying baby.  Careful direction and editing go a long way to making this not too obvious.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
You were always going to be on rocky ground, TV's Professor B Cox, sitting on a sun-dappled Oxfordshire hillside and proclaiming it to be "July 10th".  I suspect you didn't actually shoot that sequence yesterday at all :demon:

OTOH the floppy-haired cleverness dispenser turned into a small boy when given a ride in a Eurofighter Typhoon.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
You were always going to be on rocky ground, TV's Professor B Cox, sitting on a sun-dappled Oxfordshire hillside and proclaiming it to be "July 10th". 

Bl00dy Americanizm.  >:(
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

When very young babies have to cry in films, how do they start it?

Smile at it, IME.

Oh, right, maybe that's just me.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
You were always going to be on rocky ground, TV's Professor B Cox, sitting on a sun-dappled Oxfordshire hillside and proclaiming it to be "July 10th". 

That might have been me  O:-)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer

I thought they weren't allowed to show babies crying in films.  Or maybe it's just British TV drama or something.  Anyway, it's certainly not uncommon to dub crying over an image of a not-crying baby.  Careful direction and editing go a long way to making this not too obvious.

Something subtly cruel would be much more satisfying.

ian

I'm quite enjoying Stranger Things, it's worth it for the synth-tastic soundtrack and mash-up of eighties TV style through the big, big glasses, fat trimphones, to the haircuts-oh-glorious-haircuts. You can almost smell the hairspray. And one of the kids looks like Kevin Bacon. Oh, and Winona Ryder. You can't build a better time machine.

T42

• Apprentice geezer

That might have been me  O:-)

Might also have been Sam'l Pepys, were he not somewhat deceased.

Meanwhile I, having in idle moments scraped the barrel of Netflix's bottom to watch a few episodes of the cardboard Phryne Fisher, was punished for my gutter-dredging by having my ears twice hammered by the exclamation "he's fitting!"  Not seeing why the gent lying a-quiver on the floor might be appropriate to anything, I took this to mean that he was having a fit - maybe for corsets and they were too tight, or possibly an epileptic seizure; which latter did prove to be the case. Yet another case of ignorance combined with insouciance, both probably from Hy Brasil or Vinland but undeniably recent, twisting crystal-clear language into Grauniad knots.  Somewhat out of place in the mouth of a superannuated antipodean flapper in 1928.

Ditto the phrase "15 minutes and counting" from a contemporary gent, "and counting" having leaked into the vernacular from Cape Canaveral via TV in the 1960s. But what else can you expect when the script-writers are evidently only 10 years old?

However, neither instance can compare with that of Cesare Borgia bellowing "medic!" down the corridors of the Vatican.  That's my favourite so far.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
I've just discovered Being Human.

Where are you up to? I think it peaks with series three, then goes downhill rapidly after that.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

I've just discovered Being Human.

Where are you up to? I think it peaks with series three, then goes downhill rapidly after that.
Start of season 2.
Run out of time to watch anything recently. And I have a new Robin Hobb book to read.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...

Run out of time to watch anything recently. And I have a new Robin Hobb book to read.

I love the Farseer/Fitz/Fool books, but I didn't get on well with the other ones.

I'm going to see new Ghostbusters tonight. I'm quite excited.

My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

I love the Farseer/Fitz/Fool books, but I didn't get on well with the other ones.

You know she is in the middle writing of the fourth trilogy of those books? I'm on the second book of the fourth trilogy. Yes, those are my favourites by far.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
I'm going to see new Ghostbusters tonight. I'm quite excited.

Hope you enjoy it. I thought it was surprisingly excellent.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...

You know she is in the middle writing of the fourth trilogy of those books? I'm on the second book of the fourth trilogy. Yes, those are my favourites by far.
Four trilogies? I've read the Farseer trilogy, the Tawny Man trilogy and the first two of the Fitz and the Fool trilogy.

Hope you enjoy it. I thought it was surprisingly excellent.
Loved it!
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Four trilogies? I've read the Farseer trilogy, the Tawny Man trilogy and the first two of the Fitz and the Fool trilogy.

Well it depends if you include the Liveship traders in that series. Since they include the Fool . . .

It's the second book of the Fitz and the Fool I'm reading now.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
I was on The Chain this afternoon. Had a good chat with Mark Radcliffe about bikes!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Coming up this Friday: Sore Fingers.
It's like Billy Bunter with banjos. The unmistakeable sound of Appalachia in Stow on the Wold: Bluegrass enthusiasts pack up their banjos and fiddles for a week of fast and furious music which has become a fixture on the international Bluegrass calendar.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Ruthie

• Her Majester
I was listening to Nick Harper and I'm sure there was something about "mid-life Cyclist"  :D
Milk please, no sugar.