Author Topic: A random thread for small entertainment things not warranting their own thread..  (Read 287204 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Never heard them so of course I had to look on YouTube.  File under "Earworms", damn it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Noticed last night that a sequel to Blade Runner is coming out next year. Lead character is called Officer K.  N.B. Officer, not Agent.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
I have started that Graun's Christmas Special Prize Crossword. It's an alphabetical jigsaw. There are no numbered clues, but you simply fit the answers in where they will go. That sounds hard, but it's made easier by the fact that you know that there are two answers beginning with each letter of the alphabet. There is a further instruction:

With all 26 pairs of solutions beginning with the same letter, except M, one solution will fit a theme not further defined in the clue.

That all sounds pretty incomprehensible until you see the clue for Z:
(click to show/hide)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
Ah how sadly missed is Araucaria. When he did that sort of puzzle, he even wrote the clues as rhyming couplets.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
True indeed! If crossword compilers can be compared to music composers, then he was undoubtedly Mozart!

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Feeling nostalgic after Call the Midwife because my gran had one of those cream cake tins with the green lid.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Dez is murdering "Bohemian Rhapsody" on a descant recorder.

Oh bugger, RIP Liz Smith too, though 95 is a good innings by any measure.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Has there ever been a trippier film than Labyrinth?
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary

Barbarella?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

dark crystal?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Cremaster Cycle.

Arts & Entertainment seems to be fast becoming an Obituaries board.

Might I suggest a Pub sub-thread where all obituaries might rest?  Except politicians :hand:

Strangely, the Sporting Life thread has fewer obituaries; are they all much fitter than A&E candidates or is the clue in the names?  Has YACF put a hex on our artistic performers?

Move Faster and Bake Things

T42

• Apprentice geezer
My son's partner remarked that it was distressing to see how much was made of Carrie Fisher's death in comparison to that of 64 talented musicians in the Black Sea on Christmas Day.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
On spotting that Patti Smith was trending on Twitter,  my immediate thought was  "Oh Bugger".
But it's  ok.  She's 70 today.

Happy birthday.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
The Department of Stings in the Tail has just reported that William Christopher, who played Father Mulcahy in M.A.S.H., died yesterday.

Bah!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
On spotting that Patti Smith was trending on Twitter,  my immediate thought was  "Oh Bugger".
But it's  ok.  She's 70 today.

Happy birthday.

No sign of her kicking off:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/see-patti-smith-celebrate-70th-birthday-with-michael-stipe-w458562

Canne fookin wait for Trainspotting 2.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
I caught a few minutes of tonight's Eastenders that my wife was watching . ..... does anyone know where the wedding venue is?   - I think I've been there a long time ago but can't recall the name/location.

Rob

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
When they play Teenage Kicks on Radio 3, does it mean they're doing post-irony or just that or that anyone who's not quite old enough to have heard it the first time round should be joining the ramblers and booking a cruise?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

I've been doing the five movements from The OA for the last few days. I'm getting quite good. The cats are cutting me a wide berth.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
If anyone was watching tonight's episode of Channel 4's 'No Offence', the BMX for the final scene was supplied by John's Bikes.  :smug:  :smug:  :smug:
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

If anyone was watching tonight's episode of Channel 4's 'No Offence', the BMX for the final scene was supplied by John's Bikes.  :smug:  :smug:  :smug:
I hope you got mentioned in the credits.  :thumbsup:
<i>Marmite slave</i>

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
I've just seen the first (for me) sick* joke about George Michael. Normally these days, the jokes start straight away - almost no celeb is immune.
I can't recall right now ANY jokes about recent deaths.

Is the average "comedian" on the Clapham_Omnibus/Facebook too shell-shocked from the carnage that they've lost the will to take the piss?

No bad thing on balance IMO  :thumbsup:

*It was mild, but still bad taste. Any other time I'm sure his death would have produced a slew of much worse. I won't sully George's thread with this.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles