Author Topic: A random thread for small entertainment things not warranting their own thread..  (Read 287127 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
This is getting a lot of play on 6music at the moment and I flipping love it. Also turns out the video is brilliant too:

https://youtu.be/joNXjvK2mwc

Along with Laura Marling's new one, we've already got two very strong contenders for Single of the Year 2017:

https://youtu.be/eCS4OTgaHeM
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Miriam margoyles on wimmins hour, very good.  :thumbsup:

citoyen

Susan Calman makes some fairly fruity revelations about Miriam Margolyes in the latest Richard Herring Leicester Square Theatre Podcast (or RHLSTP, as all the cool kids down at the skateboard park are calling it).

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.

Susan Calman makes some fairly fruity revelations about Miriam Margolyes in the latest Richard Herring Leicester Square Theatre Podcast (or RHLSTP, as all the cool kids down at the skateboard park are calling it).

Pronounced "Rer-her-luh-stuh-puh"
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Dez has spent good money on a turntable so that he can play some of the ancient and slightly less ancient bakelite/vinyl records that we have in this house. Most I bought many moons ago, but we seem to have inherited a load of stuff from my aunt, including a 78 rpm disc, one side of which has a recording of "The Lion & Albert" and the other has "With her Head Tucked Underneath her arm". I remember listening to this very nonsense as long ago as 1959. My brothers and I have been able to recite "TLAA" from memory ever since.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
^^^ We appear to have inherited a turntable from the IP. Don't think he had saved any 78s, though. I remember articles from the 50s/60s showing how to convert them into plant pots, etc.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

i have got quite few 78's and no turntable to play then on. they were my fathers and are mostly classical music.  :)
the slower you go the more you see

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
Because my son made his first ever music video for "Sad Blood" I thought I'd pass the word on about the band.

The video was made at Battersea Arts Centre, where my son works as a Sound & Light Tech.  He seems to have really got the bug for film-making in the last year.

Anyway...introducing a new film-maker to the world.

Mitch Hargreaves - Film Maker

Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

ian

Is anyone watching that new American political show on the television? I stumbled across it the other day. It's a bit like the Office, you cringe and laugh at the same time. There's this orange-skinned character with doofus hair playing the new President. All he does is sit in the Oval Office and tweet random stuff, occasionally sticking his put to yell at people, and complain about not being in New York. He basically has no self-awareness at all. All the staffers are trying to avoid him because he's apparently a 'pussy grabber' but will pretty much grab anything that has legs. He's brilliantly played. Dunno who the actor is, I'm sure he's been in something else. He has this mad campaign manager who just comes up with brilliant phrases like 'alternative facts' and likes punching people. She makes Julia-Louis Dreyfus look like an amateur. Best though is the press secretary, he basically gets told every episode to stand there and repeat obvious lies over and over, trying to gloss over them by shouting 'next question' and pointing to someone else every time the questions get heated.

I sincerely recommend it. OK, you have to suspend belief a little, but I tell you, whoever scripted it has put Armando Iannucci out of work. Car-crash TV at its best. Hopefully it won't get cancelled mid-season, that would be such a huge disappointment.

Is anyone watching that new American political show on the television? I stumbled across it the other day. It's a bit like the Office, you cringe and laugh at the same time. There's this orange-skinned character with doofus hair playing the new President. All he does is sit in the Oval Office and tweet random stuff, occasionally sticking his put to yell at people, and complain about not being in New York. He basically has no self-awareness at all. All the staffers are trying to avoid him because he's apparently a 'pussy grabber' but will pretty much grab anything that has legs. He's brilliantly played. Dunno who the actor is, I'm sure he's been in something else. He has this mad campaign manager who just comes up with brilliant phrases like 'alternative facts' and likes punching people. She makes Julia-Louis Dreyfus look like an amateur. Best though is the press secretary, he basically gets told every episode to stand there and repeat obvious lies over and over, trying to gloss over them by shouting 'next question' and pointing to someone else every time the questions get heated.

I sincerely recommend it. OK, you have to suspend belief a little, but I tell you, whoever scripted it has put Armando Iannucci out of work. Car-crash TV at its best. Hopefully it won't get cancelled mid-season, that would be such a huge disappointment.

Oh, that's the new series of the Twilight Zone.  :demon:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2017/01/15/newspaper_bills_trump_inauguration_as_twilight_zone_reboot.html
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Finally got around to watching the Christmas showing of Witness for the Prosecution. It was good.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Eccentrica Gallumbits

Call the Midwife tonight is like our post-Brexit, no more H&S law world.

citoyen

Do you ever have déjà-vu, Mrs Lancaster?

Eccentrica Gallumbits

I'm watching last night's episode of the new adaptation of Roots:'(

Just noticed that The One You Love by Glenn Frey (playing on R2 at the moment) and Tell It To My Heart by Taylor Dayne are the same song.  The latter is a truly tragic song.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
My cheap pnjc headphones are doing a wonderful job with Wagner's ring cycle. Especially the heavy timpani.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Just got back from that Cardiff where we went for Welsh National Opera's M. Butterfly last night. 
While the curtain calls were being taken, the Pinkerton character was booed.  :o
I've never known anything like that before. 
I assume it was 'Panto baddie booing'.  Maybe it's a Welsh thing.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Just noticed that The One You Love by Glenn Frey (playing on R2 at the moment) and Tell It To My Heart by Taylor Dayne are the same song.  The latter is a truly tragic song.

Clicked on the first link but noticed that suggested videos in the sidebar included the Ride of the Valkyries sequence from Apocalypse Now, so watched that instead.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Did anyone watch the BBC4 programme about Blencathra?  If so, did the colours look funny to you? As if it was shot on film twenty years ago or put through an Instagram filter.  Apart from that it was great.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

citoyen

Did anyone watch the BBC4 programme about Blencathra?  If so, did the colours look funny to you? As if it was shot on film twenty years ago or put through an Instagram filter.  Apart from that it was great.

No, but I just heard Stuart Maconie talking about it on the radio. I'll have to catch up with that on iplayer.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
I have now stumbled across that twice with 10 minutes to go - just gorgeous winter footage. It's a much underrated hillock IMO, but certainly doesn't look that grand on a wet October day!

Meanwhile, I've discovered possibly the exact opposite end of the televisual spectrum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4g4728zJTs(now blocked by C4!)  So here's the official page. I'm sure the clips are just as jaw-dropping: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/rich-kids-of-instagram/videos

If you thought TOWIE and that Chelsea thing were bad, you may be in for a shock.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

We caught up with the (originally BBC Scotland but rebroadcast in BBC4 a couple of weeks ago) two party documentary about living on Fair Isle. Fascinating.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)