Author Topic: A random thread for small entertainment things not warranting their own thread..  (Read 284405 times)

Hehe, that's good!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
You must all tune your wirelesses to the Third Programme at hours 18:45 this evening, that you might hear Forests of the Imagination.

Quote from: Auntie
Eleanor Rosamund Barraclough enters the forests of our imagination, looking for stories. Alternative realities, holy quests and fairytales among the glories of the Autumn forest.

Also it's got Professor Larrington.  In it.

#mediatartery
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

D., I'll try to hear this, possibly on iplayer.  I've just finished re-reading a Buchan (Midwinter) and he's strong on forests - though the one uppermost in my mind is probably the one that won the European Cup twice in succession under Cloughie.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Just heard via Radio 2 that His Bobness' album Blood On the Tracks is to be turned into a film.

There. You now know as much as I do...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
VELOMANCER

I've discovered that All4 have got 118 episodes of Whose Line Is It Anyway? on at the moment.  I watched the first 2-and-a-bit last night.  Real throwback stuff.  Josie Lawrence is great!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
I've discovered that All4 have got 118 episodes of Whose Line Is It Anyway? on at the moment.  I watched the first 2-and-a-bit last night.  Real throwback stuff.  Josie Lawrence is great!

I've been listening to the original radio series, which is being repeated on Radio 4 Extra. I had them on tape, recorded off the radio the first time they were broadcast (1988! 30 years ago!), but I threw out all my tapes a long time ago so haven't heard them for years.

They haven't aged well.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

I was the second contestant on PopMaster today...

After re-watching ITV's "Brideshead Revisited" I'm now viewing the BBC's version of "Decline & Fall", having recently read the book.  They toned down the racism in the Chokey / sports day sequence, but everything so far seems well done & faithful to the book.   I loved the interiors of Margot's house, they seemed to get the 20's vibe correct,  probably not enough visible tobacco smoke to be true to period.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

citoyen

After re-watching ITV's "Brideshead Revisited" I'm now viewing the BBC's version of "Decline & Fall", having recently read the book.  They toned down the racism in the Chokey / sports day sequence, but everything so far seems well done & faithful to the book.   I loved the interiors of Margot's house, they seemed to get the 20's vibe correct,  probably not enough visible tobacco smoke to be true to period.

I always thought that King's Thursday must have been based on Eltham Palace, but the book predates the modernising Courthaulds.

I also re-read the book after watching the TV adaptation, and felt they had left out most of the best bits. Generally with good reason. You can't put that kind of stuff on TV these days, even satirically.

I'd never heard of Eltham Palace,  tanks for bringing it to my attention.   It looks worth a visit when I'm next down in London. :thumbsup:

ian

It is. And they had a pet lemur, which is proper posh.

The medieval hall is a complete non-sequitur and marvellously seems like something every house should have.

citoyen

I'd never heard of Eltham Palace,  tanks for bringing it to my attention.   It looks worth a visit when I'm next down in London. :thumbsup:

Yep, definitely worth a visit.

Another nod of agreement here - well worth the trip.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/tv/gallery/liverpool-streets-transported-back-19th-15407083

"Gentleman Jack" , filming in Liverpool today.   I walked past all the vans at lunchtime.    The other location , Falkner Square is about 10 minutes walk from my flat, but so much nicer.  https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-53970021.html   Sighs wistfully & resolves to buy more lottery tickets.

40 years ago you struggled to give most of those properties away despite them being in the most vibrant part of Liverpool.

Did you see the BBC series 'A House through time' which traced the history and residents of one house in Falkner street?
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

I don't have a TV, so didn't watch it.  I know the house was on the market for a large sum shortly afterwards.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
Maybe one for a different thread but what is it with Liverpool and derelict houses? There used to be loads down Edge Lane. Or has it changed recently?
VELOMANCER

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
One for the diary: July 12th 2019.  Neil Young & His Bobness in Hyde Park.  Tickets on sale 9 am Friday.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
As noted elsewhere, a dreadful cover of 'Back on the Chain Gang' was inflicted on me this morning. Something that immediately struck me was the the rhythm and phrasing of the song were totally wrong and I couldn't understand why it had been changed.

Reading up on Wikinaccurate it seems that Ms Hynde favours unusual time signatures in her songs and I suspect twatface, er, Morrissey has fucked with it. Whatever it just sounds so wrong!

Other peeps have form for similar; when U2 reworked Lalo Schiffrin's 'Mission Impossible' they changed it from 5/4 to 4/4 (I read at the time this was to make it 'danceable'. Is that even a word?). The clue was in the title. 5/4 makes it impossible to dance to!

Ol'Blue Eyes recorded a swing version of 'Mrs. Robinson' which must be the worst atrocity ever committed to vinyl.

Any others?
VELOMANCER

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Suggs' cover of "Cecilia" deserves a mention in anyone's book of criminal records.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Suggs' cover of "Cecilia" deserves a mention in anyone's book of criminal records.

Dammit, I'd managed to forget all about that one.

Other peeps have form for similar; when U2 reworked Lalo Schiffrin's 'Mission Impossible' they changed it from 5/4 to 4/4 (I read at the time this was to make it 'danceable'. Is that even a word?). The clue was in the title. 5/4 makes it impossible to dance to!

The ghost of Max Wall: "Hold my beer..."
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

citoyen

'danceable'. Is that even a word?

According to B.Ferry, The Strand - which he exhorted us to Do way back in 1973 - is a danceable solution to teenage revolution.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
My gabber has never been so flasted . . .
VELOMANCER