Author Topic: Survivors remake  (Read 30020 times)

Chris S

Re: Survivors remake
« Reply #150 on: 03 December, 2008, 09:43:09 am »
I would like to see a bit more realism as well. The ex minister in her pressed white trouser suit and perfectly groomed hair looked a bit ridiculous. Even more silly is the state of those who have no electricity, how exactly are they managing to iron their clothes every day?

Having said that, I can't wait for the next episode.

Oddly enough, that was one of the criticisms of the original series, at the time - the fact that the cast all looked rather well kept.

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #151 on: 03 December, 2008, 09:54:27 am »
It's still only been a few days... they aren't all going to be dressing in animal skins just yet. There's still plenty of soap, water and clean clothes around. The first winter (which they appear to be just coming to) would change things a bit. Remember this is a virus, not a nuclear apocalypse. Pretty much everything is (initially) intact apart from the people...

« Reply #152 on: 03 December, 2008, 02:05:16 pm »
I might have another look.  I just thought it seemed very derivative because I must have seen at least 2 or 3 films of viral wipe-out, with the obligatory empty motorway and street views.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #153 on: 03 December, 2008, 02:10:42 pm »
It's good fun. Mind you I agree that they should be armed by now. I would be. In a society without police or an army you would need to be. A nice armoured car would be useful for trips to the shop as well.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #154 on: 10 December, 2008, 08:34:47 am »
In fact, just getting Mr and Mrs Joe Average to consider what they'd do in a civil emergency is a brilliant thing.  Most people are utterly unprepared for even the most benign of events.  By the time you've got a Kerry Katona level scenario...

Yuk! Everyone pissed on sherry and eating blue coloured Iceland food.  :sick:
It is simpler than it looks.

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
« Reply #155 on: 23 December, 2008, 10:53:21 pm »
Is that it? When is series 2 out?

I am glad I watched and my youngest is utterly hooked.

But a little to sanitised for my liking, even the cars are sparkling.
A shitter and a giggler.

« Reply #156 on: 24 December, 2008, 11:10:29 pm »
Is that it?

Is it  ???

Just watched the latest episode on iPlayer... good tension at times. I'm enjoying the series although it is not addressing the practicalities at all.

Martin

« Reply #157 on: 24 December, 2008, 11:17:42 pm »
Is that it? When is series 2 out?

that's what I thought

(BTW to answer your 2nd question, next year, apparently the original went to 38 episodes but I don't remember more than the 1st 6)

peanut

« Reply #158 on: 25 December, 2008, 10:53:03 am »
38 episodes crikey  :o

Its about time they managed to get hold of some weapons. With so many threats that they were facing there is no way you'd go out foraging without some sort of defence .
When does the next series start then ?

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #159 on: 30 December, 2008, 11:00:35 pm »
I've finally caught up - missed last two episodes while on holiday.

Only six episodes?  And we wait until next year for more?!? Ridiculous  Only in Britain...  ::-)

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #160 on: 31 December, 2008, 10:38:12 am »
Only six episodes?  And we wait until next year for more?!? Ridiculous  Only in Britain...  ::-)

It's because the TV companies won't commit to something unless they have some idea that it will be popular enough... TV for the age of the focus group.

Mind you, I am not sure if the US approach is better. 20-episode stories which have no convincing story arc at all and just flounder about or pad things out until the climax (e.g.: Lost, Heroes). Oh, and then just cancel it mid-season if not enough people like it.

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #161 on: 08 January, 2009, 01:36:18 am »
As usual I spend half the time watching this mentally screaming "Why are you being so STUPID??????"
They have all seen any number of PAW films. They know it isn't going to be fluffy Quakerdom. And yet, they all keep doing such stupid, stupid things, like the idiot boy running off to the Big City.
They all deserve to die messily.

« Reply #162 on: 08 January, 2009, 05:46:26 pm »
I gave up after episode 4.   If you've not seen it before, treat yourself to series 1 of the original production. Far superior IMHO.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #163 on: 12 January, 2010, 08:22:02 pm »
Heads up boys and girls!

The new series (or part 2) of Survivors starts tonight at 9.00 p.m. on BBC1. 
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

border-rider

« Reply #164 on: 12 January, 2010, 09:52:38 pm »
9 1/2 minutes until deep tedium set in.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #165 on: 12 January, 2010, 10:02:16 pm »
Two weeks 'till the next episode :(
& crap like Corrie,Eastenders,Emmerdale et al are on several times a week >:(

Martin

« Reply #166 on: 27 January, 2010, 10:38:33 am »
watched it last night; apart from the medical background of whoever she is I don't recall much similarity to the original series

I see the "government" are back next week

who else wants to see the nasty pharmaceutical company all die horribly? (apart from the mum and kid of course?)

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #167 on: 27 January, 2010, 12:40:55 pm »
My, hasn't Julie Graham got a sturdy pair of legs  :P

Martin

« Reply #168 on: 17 February, 2010, 07:45:43 pm »
definitely a top notch drama from the Beeb and eagerly awaiting series3; last night's episode was very sad and a lot more believable (apart from the "just from the salon" look they all still have after however many months with zero utilities)

can I BA to get the original 1975 series from the library? the clips I've seen on youtube look pretty dated

ludwig

• never eat a cyclists gloves
    • grown in wales
« Reply #169 on: 18 February, 2010, 06:34:48 am »
By coincidence I was thrilled to find the 70's original in the library just before the remake appeared. I watched it with the kids in a "this is the tv that daddy watched when he was your age" kind of way. Eldest daughter then requested the second seriesr for her birthday which I tracked down at great expense. There was a third series but I seem to remember loosing interest as a child once greg disappeared in a balloon. He left the series on account of the fact that he was more interested in the action/ adventure/blokes with shotguns in landrovers sort of approach. We were amazed when the remake then started to be advertised. The kids loved the remake at first but god it's frantic. The kids usually send a text as soon as they have seen each episode but now they are just hoping that there is a break from the fighting and guns and that they all have a chance to settle down. The last text said "I hate it". They didn't want the girl to die. I believe that the book had peter killing Abby in the end

Martin

« Reply #170 on: 20 December, 2010, 04:04:52 pm »
definitely a top notch drama from the Beeb and eagerly awaiting series3

or not; still no plans for this (apparently it did not attract as many viewers as series 1 and people were watching ITV instead)

I finally caught up with The Last Train a very similar ITV 6 parter from 1999 (on Veoh); in hindsight the latest Survivors borrowed heavily from it as well as the Terry Nation original

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #171 on: 21 December, 2010, 02:47:23 pm »
The Last Train a very similar ITV

I saw the first episode of "the last train".  In fact I think I watched half of the second one too
It was poor