Linked Events

• YACF camping weekend: Twitey's Tipis, Wellesbourne: 11 September, 2020 - 13 September, 2020

Author Topic: YACF camping weekend: Twitey's Tipis, Wellesbourne, 11-13 September 2020  (Read 7370 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
http://twiteystipis.co.uk/

This one was pretty successful last year, and there seems to be enthusiasm for a re-run.  I'm unilaterally picking the weekend of the 11-13th on the basis that it's:
-Early September, when it shouldn't be too cold.
-After the schools go back, so the campsite should be reasonably enthusiastic about having us.
-Not clashing with the ALC meet or FNRttC the previous weekend.
-Not clashing with the ALC meet, FNRttC, or BHPC races the following weekend.
-Not clashing with any local audaxes.

The site has a rather good meadow-mown-into-pitches arrangement, with each pitch having room for two or three small tents (there are also glamping options).  Motor vehicles are not permitted onto the meadow, with a fleet of wheelbarrows provided for carting equipment across the site.  Facilities are basic but decent (notable lack of lighting in the loos, but charging sockets available in the shop).  FIRE is permitted, with good quality logs available in the little shop (last year those of use who had booked online were given vouchers that could be exchanged for logs and other basics).

Location is an easy ride from Stratford-upon-Avon (which has bike-friendly local trains to Stourbridge via Middle Earth, and Leamington Spa), or a bit further from Coventry, which is on the West Coast Mainline, and Warwick which is on the Chiltern line.

The airfield opposite has an audax-approved cafe.  Though the site was in peril, so may turn into a cardboard housing estate at some point?

Sainsbury's, Co-op and two pubs in Wellesbourne itself, a bike ride away.

A few busy roads, but generally a nice part of the country for a bike ride.

Who's interested?

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
Pencilled in.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Yep.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

A quick google shows that the airfield & cafe are both still in business  :thumbsup:

Is this a revival of the Zombie Apocalypse camping weekend ?    https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2180.msg32269#msg32269
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Ooh... this looks doable for me. And it’s my birthday that weekend :-). Family plans/commitments are all rather volatile at the moment, but colour me interested.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
A possible as both Dawn and I are shifted off that weekend  :)

You can add my name as a provisional but because of Pauline's health situation I will have to fully confirmed nearer the date. I enjoyed last years get-together and for me it is a nice ride.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

Speshact

• Charlie
Lovely to see such a well thought through proposal. Thank you!
Pencilled in!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Pencilled in.

Local knowledge: don’t use Warwick station with a bike. Lots of steps and no lift.

The direct road from Leamington Spa is a bit of a git by my way of thinking. It’s about 3 miles of quite nice off-road between Warwick and Leamington, and there is a laney route available from Warwick to the campsite.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Pencilled in.

Local knowledge: don’t use Warwick station with a bike. Lots of steps and no lift.

The direct road from Leamington Spa is a bit of a git by my way of thinking. It’s about 3 miles of quite nice off-road between Warwick and Leamington, and there is a laney route available from Warwick to the campsite.

Warwick Station is OK if you're heading south, but not north.

If you do alight there, there's a pleasant Sustrans route to Wellesbourne via Hampton Lucy and Charlecote. Route 41. Although the first couple of miles isn't that pleasant until you get over the M40. A little further, past Wellesbourne, is Loxley. There is a tiny church there that looks part-Norman to me and is one I've been meaning to visit.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

You can get Chiltern to Leamington too.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Cudzoziemiec

Count me out.  :( A friend (once otp) announced yesterday he's getting married that Satuday.  :) :D

Same here, my niece gets married on the Saturday.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

I'll pencil it in, but it is the Knutsford Great Race that Sunday.  ;)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Twiteys campsite is opening up from this weekend. Is the September meet still a possibility?
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I think that question comes down to the balance between COVID-19 cases, government competence, and our willingness to go camping somewhere where the facilities fall a bit short of C&CC club site hygiene standards.

I'm expecting things to go distinctly pear-shaped in the next few weeks, either in the form of more lockdown restrictions or - more frighteningly - the absence thereof.

On the gripping hand, it doesn't seem worth writing this off just yet...   :-\

(I'm facing a similar dilemma with the proposed BHPC race at Darley Moor at the end of August, which poses much the same issues - plenty of physical space, but very basic toilets with no hot water.)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
I shall take a watching interest but I have no expectation that travelling will be safe by then.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

Doubtful but I'll judge nearer the time. I'm probably more likely to go to somewhere like this than eg the previously planned Peak District occasion, simply because this is definitely within a distance I can ride to without taking too much time off work (well, "work"). Really don't feel like taking a train and don't think I will in September.

Still interested. I will keep watching this thread and we will see what happens  :)
the slower you go the more you see

Just stumbled across this... and yes, it sounds enticing!  I used to live very near Wellesbourne in Loxley so it would be good to revisit the area.  It's a manageable ride from Reading so I'll put it in my calendar :thumbsup:
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

" Trevor the cockerel has two new friends for company (two hens)."   :thumbsup:

COVID 19 Customer Information – 27.06.20 Our  Statement on COVID 19 in relation to opening, details  what changes we have made and measures we are implementing  regarding coronavirus, please read this it’s important.

All our glamping accommodation – Yurt, Shepherd’s Hut and Tipis is only available for hire Friday and Saturday (2 night stay).  This allows us to let the accommodation stand for 72 hours before we go in and get them ready for the next guests.  All our staff wear PPE whilst attending to the glamping accommodation to prevent any cross contamination. COVID 19 Customer Information – 27.06.2

We have also produced a risk assessment: Risk Assessment COVID 19

As of 09/07/2020 We regret we have now suspended day visitors to site unless pre-booked before this date.  We have reduced the number of pitches by a third to reduce the number of people on site and we are getting unusually high demand for day visitors which has lead us to take this step.

I'm planning to book 2 weeks off work for September & contemplating riding here & back.  Still have to see how things go.

Re: YACF camping weekend: Twitey's Tipis, Wellesbourne, 11-13 September 2020
« Reply #21 on: 04 August, 2020, 07:24:20 pm »
I am still interested but I would come without apollo this time. So I will continue to watch this thread   :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #22 on: 27 August, 2020, 07:42:09 pm »
Is there any likelihood of this going ahead under current conditions ?   

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23 on: 27 August, 2020, 07:42:37 pm »
I'm not keen...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #24 on: 27 August, 2020, 07:56:13 pm »
I'm keen but wary.

On the assumption this doesn't go ahead – or even if it does – this might be a good idea for an Easter or post-Easter meet. I think most things will be clearer once we're through the winter.