Author Topic: YACF LEJoG Relay  (Read 180550 times)

Re: YACF LEJoG Relay - Currently in Shropshire
« Reply #775 on: 07 July, 2012, 09:37:29 pm »
You do know it can only travel by bike..

« Reply #776 on: 07 July, 2012, 09:40:40 pm »
Oh yes.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #777 on: 09 July, 2012, 12:50:54 pm »
Unless it is absolutely tipping it down, I am heading down to Braintree tomorrow (Sunday).
Then up the Eastcoast monday, tuesday, wednesday.
Probably won't have web access so call me if anybody can make a meet to take the baton.
Likely to overnight Monday-----Polstead
Tuesday-----Kessingland
Wednesday-----Cromer

Subject to not drowning of course ;D

Oh BUGGER!!!  I live very close to Braintree and didn't see this in time. Sod, sod, sod.

« Reply #778 on: 12 July, 2012, 08:36:32 am »
The baton has returned to Rutland after a 450Km tour of East Anglia. Ride report to follow shortly :)

« Reply #779 on: 12 July, 2012, 08:11:57 pm »
Sigh....(re Baton).... ;D
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #780 on: 12 July, 2012, 11:28:36 pm »
OK...... looking at the map there are three candidates -  Gareth, Lucky, and Tom_e all of whom are cambridge based and have given a 50 mile radius which by my calculation takes in Rutland. Once in Cambridge it should be simple to get it to Essex, thence to Lod Nod.

If anyone has forgotten, the map is here http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=117648410814257943328.0004966163d636a2057b3&ll=54.495568,-3.383789&spn=9.939895,19.753418&z=6

Paging Gareth, Lucky & Tom_e ....

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #781 on: 13 July, 2012, 08:40:00 am »
And to think the baton was within 10 miles of my house

[shakes head in despair and shame]

::-)   :'(

« Reply #782 on: 13 July, 2012, 08:56:30 am »
Yer, I know, I know.  Trying to figure out if I can get it in before family holiday without using up all my brownie points for the year...

edit: @loadsa - purely before I try to plan, are you available on Sunday (either for a ride or just a pickup)?

« Reply #783 on: 13 July, 2012, 09:29:48 am »
Sunday looks the best day weather wise, would you like to meet at Grafham water about midday?

« Reply #784 on: 13 July, 2012, 04:07:28 pm »
Can we have it after tom_e then?

« Reply #785 on: 13 July, 2012, 08:07:48 pm »
Roight, we haz a plan.  Loadsabikes cycles miles, and I pootle over to Grafham.  8)

Can we have it after tom_e then?

No prob, but we are on holiday week after next, so you will either need to come and grab it during next week or wait a couple of weeks for a more civilized handover.

« Reply #786 on: 13 July, 2012, 08:18:54 pm »
So, the baton to make it's second visit to Grafham water in as many weeks.
Mrs Miggins will make a guest appearance, any other takers for a spot of lunch around mid-day? :)

« Reply #787 on: 13 July, 2012, 08:24:58 pm »
Will it get to Watlington in a couple of weeks do you think...   

« Reply #788 on: 13 July, 2012, 08:39:59 pm »
Unfortunately I am required on a Sustrans run Sunday as they are short of Rangers. Remember the south side cafe is better for a decent lunch and there is also a nearby pub should boozahol and/or an alternative venue be required by visitors. (and the LA has just spent quarter of a million on improving the perimeter cycle path thereabouts). Hope all goes well.

There is a lovely lane which connects Brampton village with the reservoir for anyone coming by train to Huntingdon station. Basically head for the village green and carry on but take time to have a look at the protected ancient woodland to your right which is all that is left of a much larger forest way back when. Brampton also played a major role in WW2 in that an Allied air force HQ was stationed there (hotel being refurbished on your left). Samuel Peeps also had a house just outside the village and legend has it that he buried his gold here due to the threat of an invasion of London by the Dutch Fleet. (Tricky those Dutch folk!)

The redundant railway bridge you will cycle under is yet another example of the foresight employed by our transport planners.

Given my intention to attend a future anniversary event in a motor car with a bike strapped to the back  I cannot take the baton so dunno.

« Reply #789 on: 15 July, 2012, 06:47:58 pm »
The baton is now in the safe hands of Tom-E after a hand over at Grafham Water today.
Good to meet Tom and his family.
132Km round trip for Mrs Miggins and I and we didn't get wet!!! :)

« Reply #790 on: 15 July, 2012, 07:15:55 pm »
A family day out for us in the end - mini_e1..3 in the trailers.

Good to meet you two and get close enough to make it easy for us! 
One thing about taking the kids 58km or so like this; results in tired parents and well rested children.  One of them trying to climb on me at the moment.  ::-) ;D

« Reply #791 on: 15 July, 2012, 08:26:05 pm »
Well done you lot.

« Reply #792 on: 16 July, 2012, 09:07:07 pm »
As I warned before, we're now going on holiday next week.  So who is up for meeting in a pub on weekend 4/5 August?

Happy to head East a way boabwards, or meet up with others in Cambridge. Probably ought to visit at least one more round here before going essex and london?

« Reply #793 on: 20 July, 2012, 08:55:52 pm »
Aaww rubbish, I've been manically busy with work (having moved from Manchester to Shropshire) come back to eagerly find the baton is in Shropshire (according to the thread title) only to discover it's really in East Anglia.  Bummer.

(Can someone update the map and dump my little pin somewhere near Baschurch in Shropshire?  Doesn't work on my phone.)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: YACF LEJoG Relay - Currently in East Angular
« Reply #794 on: 20 July, 2012, 09:08:01 pm »
GPWM - may I suggest that the OP (who appears to have become Paul Metcalfe) at least remove the Shropshire bit from the first post, if they're not willing to keep it up to date with the current location.  While you can update the subject of individual replies, it doesn't persist or change how it appears in the threads listing.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: YACF LEJoG Relay - Currently on Mars
« Reply #795 on: 20 July, 2012, 09:48:08 pm »
Ooh look.  He's done it.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Re: YACF LEJoG Relay
« Reply #796 on: 21 July, 2012, 09:53:22 am »
I'd love it to come thissa way but we don't have a weekend at home till Mildenhall. And even then...

I could train out to get it one evening in July?

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #797 on: 21 July, 2012, 10:15:06 am »
I could  :hand: out to get it one evening in July?

it's all about the bike

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #798 on: 21 July, 2012, 10:18:59 am »
I was assuming that Rboab was meaning that she'd get the train one way with a bike and then ride home.  I've no idea how far it is from the baton's current location to the clearing, but she's ded 'ard and all that.  She'd probably want to round it up to an evening's 200 diy by gps just for the POINTS  ;D

« Reply #799 on: 21 July, 2012, 02:53:28 pm »
Really jogler, have you no faith in me??
'Get the train' is short for 'pick it up on a training ride'  ;)

Seriously- Crinkles has it right- train out, ride back. It's about 45 miles to tom_e's neck of the woods.