Author Topic: YACF LEJoG Relay  (Read 177278 times)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Re: YACF LEJoG Relay
« Reply #75 on: 13 November, 2010, 08:52:01 pm »
Perhaps when it finds its way into That London, it might just happen to cross the Thames over every bridge the capital has available?

...and not including the fecking Dartford Crossing, because it's just too much faff.

We could do the Woolich ferry though, since that's kind of fun on a bike!

I've done it a few times solo, and not too much hassle.  Should be fine doing it with 1-3 cyclists (DF bikes).

I think the relay should include Dartford, as well as the Tilburry ferry.  Closer to town, I think it should also include every possible tunnel as well.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #76 on: 13 November, 2010, 08:53:48 pm »
And we need to get Roger Hammond to carry it ona  stage of the Tour of Britain next year.  And it has to do the Bromprton Worlds.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #77 on: 13 November, 2010, 09:27:41 pm »
...and not including the fecking Dartford Crossing, because it's just too much faff.

I'm not sure that's a reasonable defence in the context of LEJOG.  While the Dartford crossing is indeed faff, it's fairly close to civilisation, and works well enough if it's only one or two bikes going over (and you do it at a sensible time of day so as not to freeze to death waiting to be picked up).

Perhaps, in the general spirit of the Dartford crossing, it's best done by having a group of cyclists on each side of the bridge, and a volunteer carries it across by bus (while wearing as much cycling kit as possible, for that Stig-on-the-Underground look).

The Woolwich Ferry is excellent fun though.  Don't forget to stand in silence and sneakily examine other cyclists' bikes through the corner of your eye.  It is the cycling equivalent of a row of urinals, after all.

rdaviesb

« Reply #78 on: 13 November, 2010, 09:38:30 pm »
I could do south Lancs to north Lancs. I think ChocolateBike and RDaviesB might fit in there somewhere too.

Certainly will.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #79 on: 14 November, 2010, 12:25:42 am »
Perhaps when it finds its way into That London, it might just happen to cross the Thames over every bridge the capital has available?

Well, if it can find its way to Newcastle for New Year, it may well find its way across every road and foot bridge in the city crossing the Tyne if current plans for the Tyne Tunnel ride work out... (plus the Tyne Cycle Tunnel of course).

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #80 on: 14 November, 2010, 12:26:23 am »
Reminds me of the C+ Cakestop jersey's travels.

Are you on it?

« Reply #81 on: 14 November, 2010, 06:44:38 am »
yes :thumbsup:
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #82 on: 14 November, 2010, 07:41:12 am »
I'm not sure that's a reasonable defence in the context of LEJOG.  While the Dartford crossing is indeed faff, it's fairly close to civilisation, and works well enough if it's only one or two bikes going over ...

I was thinking in terms of a YACF London group ride, which would almost certainly involve more than one or two people.  I'm not sure it would be a great loss, since whilst you can get cyclists across the Thames there, you're not acytually on your bike.  At least with things like the Woolwich ferry, and Greenwich foot tunnel, you stay with your bike, and hold it up or push it.
Actually, it is rocket science.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #83 on: 14 November, 2010, 09:03:47 am »

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #84 on: 14 November, 2010, 10:05:19 am »
It has to over as many suspension bridges as possible.
It is simpler than it looks.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #85 on: 14 November, 2010, 02:18:34 pm »
I was thinking in terms of a YACF London group ride, which would almost certainly involve more than one of two people.  I'm not sure it would be a great loss, since whilst you can get cyclists across the Thames there, you're not acytually on your bike.  At least with things like the Woolwich ferry, and Greenwich foot tunnel, you stay with your bike, and hold it up or push it.
So I guess that's you and someone else.  Who is it?  I think we should be told.

« Reply #86 on: 14 November, 2010, 02:24:50 pm »
...which would almost certainly involve more than one ofr two people.  ...
So I guess that's you and someone else.  Who is it?  I think we should be told.

OK, so the keyboard on this netbook is a bit easy to mistype on, and Firefox keeps on defaulting to a very small font size, which makes it difficult to see small typos. :-\

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #87 on: 14 November, 2010, 02:50:58 pm »
Just joshing, my dear- and anyway I should have realised the other one is your new red bike.  In fact you have forgotten us all, you fickle friend. and are now devoting yourself wholly to this flame framed beauty.  You even missed a WARTY for goodness sake.  This must be the real deal. What's her name and when are we going to meet her?

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #88 on: 14 November, 2010, 03:31:33 pm »
Just joshing, my dear- and anyway I should have realised the other one is your new red bike.  In fact you have forgotten us all, you fickle friend. and are now devoting yourself wholly to this flame framed beauty.  You even missed a WARTY for goodness sake.  This must be the real deal. What's her name and when are we going to meet her?

You are norty but I like you!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #89 on: 14 November, 2010, 03:40:39 pm »
... What's her name ...

Hmm, good point.  I've got Alice the Brompton, Bob the Bob, Sid the SingleSpeed, and Vince the Snowbike.

The Kaffenback hasn't got a name, but it ought to have one.

I haven't got a clue about the SL Pro Carbon Red,  but it certainly needs something a bit easier to say.  I could refer to it as the Fast Bike, but that's probably overly propitious!

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #90 on: 16 November, 2010, 09:42:30 pm »
Reminds me of the C+ Cakestop jersey's travels.

Are you on it?

Me too.  Like it, I could take the baton to see Britannia ...

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #91 on: 17 November, 2010, 07:52:25 am »
Getting it through Wales might be tricky.
If someone brought it to Brum, it could then slip though a wormhole in space and reappear in Llandysul, from where I could ride it to, say, Swansea.

Or visa versa.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #92 on: 17 November, 2010, 12:57:59 pm »
It could join the Bryan Chapman at Chepstow and be released to someone's care at Menai.
Owner of a languishing Langster

LEE

« Reply #93 on: 17 November, 2010, 03:23:27 pm »
Update:

The "Y.A.C.F. /  LANDS END / JOHN O GROATS / RELAY BATON" is nearing completion.

4 small Brass Plaques arrived this morning (from ebay engraver) and will be affixed to beautifully stained Ballustrade Spindle  Baton this evening. (Photos to follow).  The plaques (displaying the text above) will be affixed to the four "display facets" of the baton, just above the beautifully crafted handle.

I'll be taking it on a 200 Audax this weekend so it can pass through the hands of the Faccombe 4 (You ain't nobody until you've held the baton).

Unfortunately unless we meet another YACFer en-route, the baton will need to come back home with me.  The Faccombes are travelling here by car and the baton can't be transported by any other means than cycling.

In this case I'm looking for someone in Hampshire,  or its borders with Wilts & Berks, to meet up for a handover ceremony (preferably at a cafe so I can have a brekky).  I wouldn't mind cycling out to the American Diner in Kingsworthy Kingsclere, The Friar Tuck in Amesbury, The Tutti Pole in Hungerford..or similar.

The Mechanic

« Reply #94 on: 17 November, 2010, 03:50:24 pm »
I would be up for an Aberdeenshire leg.  I am sure there are many others up here that you be interested as well.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #95 on: 17 November, 2010, 04:03:37 pm »
It could join the Bryan Chapman at Chepstow and be released to someone's care at Menai.

It could also travel to Newquay from Chepstow  during the Brevet Cymru to start a tour in west Wales.

Could the baton be tracked with gpx?
Chief cat entertainer.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #96 on: 17 November, 2010, 04:14:35 pm »

It could also travel to Newquay from Chepstow  during the Brevet Cymru to start a tour in west Wales.

[topical news]
If it's going to be in Cornwall, the baton had better be able to float.
[/topical news]
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Bairn Again

« Reply #97 on: 17 November, 2010, 04:27:04 pm »
I'm sure i could get it from somewhere south of edinburgh to somewhere north of Edinburgh. 

Will probably need somebody doing E2E to volunteer to take it up berriedale and west helmsdale mind you!

LEE

« Reply #98 on: 17 November, 2010, 04:50:33 pm »

I could start a bikely track and update it as it travels.  It seems that winter may make progress slow but things could definitely start moving next spring.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #99 on: 17 November, 2010, 05:04:16 pm »
I'd be more than happy to take part in one of the Several of circuits of that london village.
Getting there...