Author Topic: Up the Utes  (Read 837 times)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
Up the Utes
« on: 18 September, 2023, 06:32:45 pm »
Hey all,

Years ago we had a forum ride/stay in some huts close to London called the Utes or something? Can anyone remember their details?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Re: Up the Utes
« Reply #1 on: 18 September, 2023, 06:35:07 pm »
This thread I think.  Not one I attended.  I was shy in those days....

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=236.0
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 18 September, 2023, 08:50:16 pm »
We had lunch recently with some folk from one of the cycle clubs. Cyclists can hire some of the ‘Uts still.

It would be fun to do a YACF winter weekend.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #3 on: 18 September, 2023, 08:54:28 pm »
I rode around there just a few months ago (I used to live at Ugley, 1984-8) on a nostalgia trip . . . at least one of the huts is still there, I think at least one has been turned into a private dwelling.

I can recall staying the night in one of them in about 1965, on a very cold autumn night - having ridden my steel Raleigh from my home at Buckhurst Hill.

« Reply #4 on: 18 September, 2023, 09:01:44 pm »
I have vague memories of time-trials and other events from there.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5 on: 18 September, 2023, 09:04:07 pm »
Yes, one or maybe two are now houses. A couple of others have been upgraded - shower AND toilet! 😉

« Reply #6 on: 18 September, 2023, 11:28:20 pm »
There are 3 or 4 still there I believe.  More than a few otp rode an audax based out of one last Saturday week.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #7 on: 18 September, 2023, 11:43:36 pm »
Ah good to hear there may be one left :)
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #8 on: 19 September, 2023, 03:16:04 pm »
I see the 'Uts quite regularly - either driving down the M11, cycling past them (not on the M11 I hasten to add) or on one of my regular walks.

I'd be up for another 'Uts weekend.  We might have to restrain a certain gentleman OTP* from chasing the Ugley Ladies Book Club though...

*Yes, I'm looking at you Captain Pugwash.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #9 on: 19 September, 2023, 03:21:14 pm »
I would be up for a weekend visit to the Uts this winter.

robgul

« Reply #10 on: 19 September, 2023, 05:00:52 pm »
I see the 'Uts quite regularly - either driving down the M11, cycling past them (not on the M11 I hasten to add) or on one of my regular walks.

I'd be up for another 'Uts weekend.  We might have to restrain a certain gentleman OTP* from chasing the Ugley Ladies Book Club though...

*Yes, I'm looking at you Captain Pugwash.

When we bought the house we had at Ugley the lady had been a member of the Ugley Women's Institute - that was really what it was called, although some deferred to the Women's Institute, Ugley.

. . . for the time we were there my daughters were referred to by one of their cousins as the Ugley Sisters.

Riding in that part of the world is great - I just wished I'd been cycling when I lived there, not enough time, mini-farm to manage, real job too . . .

« Reply #11 on: 19 September, 2023, 05:59:18 pm »
The 'Uts were built by the member London clubs of the 32nd Association, so called because of the nearby 32nd milestone from London, which marked the start of at least one time trial course along the then A11 (now B1383) towards Cambridge. The course was still in use recently, probably still is now.

The story goes that, since in those days most people worked on Saturday mornings, clubs would ride out to the 'Uts with their racing wheels on wheel carriers, stay overnight, race first thing on Sunday, and ride home. Various 'Uts have become private residences over the years, and one or two have, I believe, passed between clubs or belonged to clubs that merged with others. The Shaftesbury one is, I think, the best-used and -maintained?

It's a while since I rode Audaxes from there, as ACME seem to have taken over the mantle that was held by the 'Uts clubs fifteen years ago, of being lead organisers in the area.

robgul

« Reply #12 on: 19 September, 2023, 07:30:40 pm »
The 'Uts were built by the member London clubs of the 32nd Association, so called because of the nearby 32nd milestone from London, which marked the start of at least one time trial course along the then A11 (now B1383) towards Cambridge. The course was still in use recently, probably still is now.

The story goes that, since in those days most people worked on Saturday mornings, clubs would ride out to the 'Uts with their racing wheels on wheel carriers, stay overnight, race first thing on Sunday, and ride home. Various 'Uts have become private residences over the years, and one or two have, I believe, passed between clubs or belonged to clubs that merged with others. The Shaftesbury one is, I think, the best-used and -maintained?

It's a while since I rode Audaxes from there, as ACME seem to have taken over the mantle that was held by the 'Uts clubs fifteen years ago, of being lead organisers in the area.

Yep - seeing riders on the old A11 at Buckhurst Hill with wheels on carriers either side of the front wheel on the way to the TTs was a regular occurence - and they frequently stopped for food en route at the Alpha or Angela cafes just along the road from our house.   Must have been between about 1956 and 1961