Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 435929 times)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #1375 on: 13 June, 2014, 06:35:02 pm »
Arse. Screwed up my lower back, tho I've no idea what I've done. I managed to run home last night, but was in too much pain this evening

Whoop - I managed to walk / run home yesterday and today, which have been my first runs since I screwed up my back in April. And now it's time to sort out my Good4Age entry for London 2015.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

αdαmsκι

What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

« Reply #1377 on: 19 June, 2014, 09:19:50 pm »
Staying at Wokefield Park tonight and last night, so snook out for a 9 mile run aroud the local commons and through the woods. Slow and tired, but happy to be out. Water, mud, nettles and blood - what could be better!

αdαmsκι

« Reply #1378 on: 01 July, 2014, 06:46:08 am »
I'm in and paid up for VLM 2015 too :thumbsup:.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #1379 on: 06 July, 2014, 07:49:24 pm »
Commitment made.  Dorset Coast Ultramarathon - 33 miles 6100ft climbing (52k, 1900m in proper units) - 6th December.  Aim to win the over 50 prize as am now eligible.

Did 11 miles half off road today, somewhat stiff from 5 big days on the bike in the Alps, will now start working up the distance and use the Farnham Pilgrim or Clarendon Marathons as a stepping stone.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1380 on: 04 August, 2014, 10:14:01 pm »
Commitment made.  Dorset Coast Ultramarathon - 33 miles 6100ft climbing (52k, 1900m in proper units) - 6th December.  Aim to win the over 50 prize as am now eligible.

Did 11 miles half off road today, somewhat stiff from 5 big days on the bike in the Alps, will now start working up the distance and use the Farnham Pilgrim or Clarendon Marathons as a stepping stone.

Checked the Endurancelife website today.  They've lengthened the Ultra to 45 miles and 8300 feet of climbing.  That puts a new dimension on things.  AUK Reunion off the cards and Beachy Head Marathon on.  Will need some serious running training for this one.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1381 on: 05 August, 2014, 12:45:31 pm »
Step 1 of the plan to madness went well.  12.3 mile cross-country run through misty woods and farmland.  Two hares and a deer and countless rabbits.  Pace was good but had to remember that this is not much more than quarter distance of the actual event.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1382 on: 16 August, 2014, 08:35:52 am »
Training for the Dorset Coast Ultra continues to plan.  17.2 miles cross country today (well a little over half is off-road).  Some areas quite soggy after recent rain - the water tables are still high after the winter monsoon.  Just a bit slower than the same route last year but I did have a 100 mile commute in my legs from yesterday.  Also rewarded by seeing two tawny owls, a couple of deer, a plague of rabbits, a pregnant fox, and a buzzard.  Have entered the Beachy Head Marathon as my preparation race but hope to have got the training distance up to about 30 miles before that.  Am going to have to start some route planning.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1383 on: 22 August, 2014, 11:49:22 am »
19.5 miles from the Holiday Inn Express in Taunton on Wednesday evening.  Fantastic trail section in the Blackdown Hills.  Got back for a Costcutter dinner just as the last of the light was fading.  Running is becoming more like Audax every trip. 

Dodgy groin is still complaining so will give it a week's rest before the next run.  Probably 22 miles in the South Downs.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1384 on: 27 August, 2014, 08:40:42 pm »
Training for the Dorset Coast Ultra continues on track.  23.2 miles from home today with about 16 miles off road.  Found some great cobbled tracks on the Earl of Portsmouth's estate, which should keep in good condition even when it gets wetter in the winter.  Will have an easier run next week to break in the new trail shoes.  The old Adidas runners are starting to show their age.  Apparently 500 miles is a good distance for a pair of running shoes - and these have done 410.  (that also means that running is more expensive than cycling on a per mile basis)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1385 on: 03 September, 2014, 06:50:40 pm »
New shoes today.  14.5 miles in 4.5 laps of Puttenham Common and feet were in good nick.  Running must be more expensive per mile than cycling.  £120 for a pair of shoes that probably won't see out 500 miles - that's 25p a mile.  Running costs for my bike are about 10p a mile.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1386 on: 03 September, 2014, 07:05:38 pm »
Great blog CET - keep it up!!!!     :P
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1387 on: 09 September, 2014, 12:45:15 pm »
One problem with Trail Running is that Google Maps doesn't compute the distance along tracks and footpaths.  It's the first marathon distance training run on the plan for the weekend and the last thing I want to do is go out and find that the distance is only 23, or perhaps worse still 32.  So I sat down at breakfast this morning with an Ordnance Survey map, pen and paper, carefully marking out the distance, and checking alternatives. 

The route that I'd first puzzled out works perfectly at 27 miles.  It will be almost entirely off road except the last two miles as the footpath that covers that section looks like it will be a random stubble covered field.  Should be able to drop CET Junior at school at 8.10 on Saturday and get to the Four Points Inn (Aldworth) car park by 8.30am to start running.  So anyone who wants to join me for a restorative pint of recovery drink at 1pm (when I've got back and stretched) is welcome.  I will be the tall bloke in running kit that can't walk properly.

Anyone who can run 27 miles in 4 hours off road is welcome to join me in the running bit too.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1388 on: 11 September, 2014, 09:56:14 pm »
One problem with Trail Running is that Google Maps doesn't compute the distance along tracks and footpaths.  It's the first marathon distance training run on the plan for the weekend and the last thing I want to do is go out and find that the distance is only 23, or perhaps worse still 32.  So I sat down at breakfast this morning with an Ordnance Survey map, pen and paper, carefully marking out the distance, and checking alternatives. 

The route that I'd first puzzled out works perfectly at 27 miles.  It will be almost entirely off road except the last two miles as the footpath that covers that section looks like it will be a random stubble covered field.  Should be able to drop CET Junior at school at 8.10 on Saturday and get to the Four Points Inn (Aldworth) car park by 8.30am to start running.  So anyone who wants to join me for a restorative pint of recovery drink at 1pm (when I've got back and stretched) is welcome.  I will be the tall bloke in running kit that can't walk properly.

Anyone who can run 27 miles in 4 hours off road is welcome to join me in the running bit too.

The problem with training plans and family are that family plans change and consequently so do training plans.  Running is now tomorrow morning from home and Saturday I will be cycling from Pangbourne. 

Yours, desperately trying to work out 27 mile run from home. :demon:

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1389 on: 12 September, 2014, 11:14:20 am »
I gave up route planning last night and watched highlights of the Vuelta instead.  Want to know how much pain those guys go through when they are racing up 7% slopes at the end of a three week tour.  Go running.  You'll never be able to ride hard enough to simulate that pain riding a bike, but run for far enough and it hurts.

I used my 23 mile route with a detour to Five Lanes End on the way back that brought it up to 26.6 miles.  Set-off at 5.15am with the aid of my head torch which meant that I went at a slower, and hopefully more sustainable, rhythm.  That was all very good until nettle ally at the far end of Hackwood Park.  The b*&&ing stingers are harder to dodge in the dark and so my legs were glowing brighter than the head torch by the time I reached the A339 and the start of the serious hills.  The twinge in my left knee was there, as it had been last week, every time I tried to put in a low stride.  It was OK as long as I picked up my leg properly but that's the leg with the dodgy hamstring  :demon:  Still, its techniques like this that these training runs are supposed to develop.  I learned how to pedal properly riding silly distances, now I'm learning to run properly by the same method. 

I think I've hit on the right method for me to feed whilst running  (that's another problem with upping the distance.  Up to four hours I can go on water and a few jellybabies but beyond that hunger-knock beckons).  At about 13 miles, at the top of the long drag out of Bradley I slowed to a walk, unhitched my bum bag, extracted a Tunnocks caramel wafer, and munched it at a brisk walk, returning to a run as soon as I'd put the last piece in my mouth.  It will lose me a bit of time, but I can't eat and run, I've tried and its messy and horrible.  I did the same again at about 21 miles, in the desolate shade of Five Lanes End.  By then I was an automaton, lifting the legs and trying to ignore the pain.  I did so quite well until the steep steps of the railway bridge with just over a mile to go, when everything went a bit wobbly.

I reached the marathon mark just under my best for a mostly off-road marathon but was still a couple of minutes over my target time for the run.  It's the first time I've run the marathon distance in training, which sounds impressive until you realise that it was still nearly 19 miles short of my actual race distance.  That's as long as many people's longest run before their marathon.  That's a very grim though on which I don't wish to dwell.  Instead I will hold out hope that I can find that eternal pace that true trail runners must have, slow but never-ending, before December, and do the event in style.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1390 on: 12 September, 2014, 12:45:35 pm »
I did the Kent Coastal Marathon last weekend - my first ever full marathon.

Training did not go well. Work and life and stuff got in the way. I did lots of cycle commuting and a 600km audax over the summer but very little running. In fact, I ran only once in the five weeks leading up to the event, and that was a planned 30-32km run that I had to abandon after about 24km because I couldn't manage any more.

Taking that into account, I'm actually rather pleased with my finish time of 4hrs 28mins.

It was a lovely day for it - started warm and sunny but fortunately cooled off a bit in the second half thanks to a bit of mist and sea breeze. I'd started with the intention of running under 4hrs and managed to keep up a steady 5:40/km pace for the first half, which was particularly pleasing as it was a fairly undulating route. I still felt good as I pressed on into the second half, but as I reached the 15 mile marker and entered hitherto uncharted territory, I started to fade. I fell in with a chap and got chatting, which was great motivation as I pressed on to keep up with him for a couple of miles.

But I kept plodding on and didn't stop at all until around 20 miles, by which point it was starting to get very tough going. It didn't help that I stumbled at one point and stubbed my toes very hard against the road (they're still feeling very tender). Then at about 23 miles I developed cramp in my right calf and had to stop to stretch it off. A little further on, I developed cramp in my left calf and foot, which was weird, but being so close to the finish, I tried to press on.

For the last few km, I fell in with another running companion - a woman who earlier this year had run 10 marathons in 10 days. In the Lake District! The company was the motivation I needed to make one last push and even muster up something resembling a "sprint" to cross the finish line.

Aside from the painful toes, a few blisters and general muscle tiredness, the legs are feeling almost back to normal now, which is great. And probably just as well given that I've got marathon number 2 in a week's time...
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

αdαmsκι

« Reply #1391 on: 13 September, 2014, 03:27:49 pm »
Well done on your first marathon citoyen. So what's the target for the next one?

I did a ParkRun this morning, which is the first one I've done since April. I was surprised that I managed a sub 19 minute run considering over the past eight weeks or so I've only done a few runs from work to home, and that's only about 3 km. I have done a lot of cycling, so perhaps that has helped. Lets see what time I manage next Saturday.

citoyen

« Reply #1392 on: 13 September, 2014, 03:42:50 pm »
Next one is a trail marathon with 1500m of climbing so the target is just to finish in one piece! I'll probably set the pacer on my Garmin at 8mins/km which would get me round in about 5.5hrs. I'd be very happy with that.

Looking at the numbers on last week's marathon, I think I set off a bit too fast:
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/589228760

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1393 on: 13 September, 2014, 04:57:13 pm »
Which trail run?  I'm doing the Beachy Head at the end of October as preparation for the Dorset Coast Ultra.

citoyen

« Reply #1394 on: 13 September, 2014, 05:24:57 pm »
This one:
http://hellyhansenbeautyandthebeast.co.uk/

I did it last year as part of a team, so only did two of the six laps. This year I'm attempting the whole thing solo. This is what the lap looks like, assuming it will be the same as last year: http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/380524517

It's mostly undulating but there are a couple of sharpish climbs, and a stream to cross.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #1395 on: 13 September, 2014, 07:28:27 pm »
Looks tough.  At least with laps you know what's coming up, so you don't have a nasty surprise at the end.  The Beachy Head has 1350m on a contour count, so on paper is slightly easier, but can get very windy along the coast.

« Reply #1396 on: 14 September, 2014, 10:17:01 am »
...and at the other end of the distance scale...
It was 'our' Parkrun's first birthday yesterday (Yeovil Montacute). There was supposed to be a 'red white and blue' theme. The only suitable shirt I had in an appropriate colour....

P1040954 by a.nbiss00, on Flickr
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #1397 on: 14 September, 2014, 11:41:16 am »
...and at the other end of the distance scale...
It was 'our' Parkrun's first birthday yesterday (Yeovil Montacute). There was supposed to be a 'red white and blue' theme. The only suitable shirt I had in an appropriate colour....

P1040954 by a.nbiss00, on Flickr

Why would you carry water for a 5k run? It's really not required and will only slow her down.

« Reply #1398 on: 14 September, 2014, 12:15:19 pm »
Why would you carry water for a 5k run? It's really not required and will only slow her down.
No idea, but she's not the only one who does!
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1399 on: 14 September, 2014, 02:27:14 pm »
Could be preparation for longer events e.g. where orgs don't supply water.

Or nowhere safe to leave it at the start.

Some people run 5 miles to/from their park run.

Etc ...

Who knows?!?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles