Author Topic: Campsite reviews  (Read 11541 times)

Campsite reviews
« on: 28 May, 2018, 11:24:19 pm »
I don't think we have a thread.

High Paradise Farm, North Yorks Moors

https://goo.gl/maps/iUsDPXN4n912

Lovely spot - only accessible by bike or on foot. Just off the drovers' road, or off the side of Boltby Bank. So up a great big hill however you work it. But it's downhill for everywhere.

£5 a night for cyclists and walkers.

Facilities - there may be showers, but I never found 'em. There's a tap in the camping field, and overnight the toilets in the cafe are left open. It's a bit of a walk, but you can also help yourself to beer and snacks from the cafe, and settle up in the morning.

Very relaxed, and there's a cafe on site - cheaper than Sutton Bank Top (which isn't saying much). Entertaining farm with a menagerie of cows, goats, alpacas and a great fat porker snuffling away in a solitary field. There were also signs of fire, so I guess open fires are permitted.

I liked it. 4 Trangias out of 5.

(stayed May 2018)

Re: Campsite reviews
« Reply #1 on: 28 May, 2018, 11:38:27 pm »
The Wee Campsite, Lochcarron, Highlands

https://goo.gl/maps/XjCNN9AKNMs

£7.50 per night for cyclists.

Incredibly relaxed owner (Ian). He was re-doing the roof of the toilet block when I rocked up, and after I'd pitched up and faffed a bit, I eventually asked him about camping. He said I could pay now, or in the morning, or later. It was fine.

Slightly tricky to find, but it's up Crofters' Road, which is the turning by the garage. The village has the shop at the garage, and the Spar at the other end, so it's a handy spot. Conveniently located behind the pub in the village (follow Crofters' Road down the bank), or the very nice cafe (walk down the track opposite the campsite entrance).

Facilities - small toilet block, but good showers. Great views over the loch. There are 4 (I think) spare sockets in the toilet block, and I charged my battery overnight there. I'm sure Ian would take charge a phone or battery in the house if you asked.

Good convivial atmosphere when I was there - lots of picnic benches and decent weather helped, obvs.

Lovely spot. 8 Thermarests out of 10.

(stayed May 2018)

« Reply #2 on: 31 May, 2018, 01:11:36 pm »
I've added them the the campsite review section on the CTC site
https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=64440&p=550347#p550050

« Reply #3 on: 04 June, 2018, 01:51:38 pm »
A tale of two New Forest campsites near Brockenhurst (I've only visited both on family holidays with a large tent not as a cycle tourist).

Aldridge Hill Campsite https://www.campingintheforest.co.uk/england/new-forest/aldridge-hill-campsite
Pros: great natural site bordering open heath and forest, accessible by road and via forest trails.  Flat (enough to pitch most tents without giant dips).  Small stream runs through the site; just about suitable for washing a dirty cyclist after it gets dark.  Quiet site - plenty of wildlife - can listen to the Nightjars!  Informal pitch arrangements (find a space a suitable distance from other campers).
Cons: NO TOILETS OR SHOWERS etc so only suitable for those with own chemical loo or bears who go in the woods etc.

Long Meadow Campsite http://www.longmeadowcampsite.com/
Only about a mile (along forest gravel track mostly) from Aldridge Hill. 
Pros: Has full facilities - washing up stations, great shower block/loos.  Flat and well kept grass.  Grassed area kept clear for ball games etc.  Direct access to gravel trails through the New Forest.  Some pitches have electric hook-up availability.  In theory you could sneak in for a shower here if you were staying at Aldridge Hill.
Cons: Rather clinical formal pitch arrangement.  Lacks the natural beauty of Aldridge Hill.  Nonetheless it's a great family site.  Close to New Park Farm hotel which can occasionally get a bit noisy if they're hosting a wedding reception/evening bash in the garden.

Both sites are close to Brockenhurst (2 miles, and there's a train station there).  Neither has a shop on site.  I've stayed at both several times an found staff are always friendly.  Both are family friendly sites with miles of local flattish gravel forest trails suitable for young riders (NanoQ is 5 years and loves it) and close to shallow water for paddling i.e. loads of free activities to keep the kids entertained.

« Reply #4 on: 09 September, 2019, 11:12:32 am »
Acton Field Campsite, Langton Matravers, Dorset. https://www.actonfieldcampsite.co.uk/

Handily located not far outside Swanage and just a few minutes walk from the #40 bus (<10 minute ride to Swanage) this is a basic but reasonably priced campsite.  Unlike the website which generally shows a sloping field, when you get close up it looks like it was leveled by sustained mortar fire.  That's fine in vans that you can level with blocks but you'd struggle to find a decent pitch for a large family tent. 
Nonetheless, for the cycle tourist with a small tent you'd be find as there are ample smaller spots that are adequately level.

The limited facilities are basic.  A tap next to a cattle trough and a small toilet block with covered washing up facilities.  Toilets kept clean but housed the world's least effective hand drier.  The showers require 20p and have little space to hang up towel, clothes etc out of the water.  I managed by hanging stuff over the top of the door.  Not a great place for trying to wash small children.

Note: site has limited opening dates but worth a phone call as they might be flexible.

Summary: a bit agricultural but fine for the budget cycle tourist. Staff friendly and helpful.  Can pay on departure.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 09 September, 2019, 12:13:42 pm »
Twitey's Tipis
Lowe Farm near Wellesbourne, Warwickshire CV35 9EX

Camping meadow with mown pitches that will fit several small tents, each including a well-built fire pit.  Pitches are flat, firm and peg-friendly.
Glamping options in tipis and yurt are available.
Loos are decent, though unlit, with only cold water available for hand-washing.  Paper towels rather than hand driers.
Free showers with generous changing facilities in a poorly-lit barn, along with washing-up facilities that include hot water, book exchange, charging sockets.
Little shop with firewood and the usual campsite basics.
Roving cockrel who goes by the names of both Kevin and Trevor.

Car parking is separate from the meadows and glamping.  An impressive fleet of wheelbarows are provided to help motorists transport their stuff, which works well, and makes the atmosphere of the camping area more pleasant.

The online booking system doesn't understand the concept of not having a car - they refunded the car fee to those of us arriving by bike in cash on arrival.

There's a well-regarded cafe at Wellesbourne airfield, opposite the farm entrance (though the future of the airfield is uncertain).  Co-op and Sainsbury's (and robgul's bike shop) in Wellesbourne itself, a bike ride away on the other side of the airfield.  Robgul's recommended pub is the Boar's Head in Hampton Lucy.

Within easy cycling distance of Stratford-upon-Avon and Warwick, which have railway stations.  Coventry is a little further, and on the WCML.

Wellesbourne Wheelers have a library of cycling routes starting from Wellesbourne

YACF visited in September 2019

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 09 September, 2019, 02:46:40 pm »
Hidden Corner Maghull, Merseyside, L31 9AT

(This is a C&CC certified site: C&CC membership required.)

The clue's in the name, and some map-fu may be required to find the site, which is on a narrow lane behind an inconspicuous-looking farmhouse.  Simply bunging the postcode into a satnav isn't going to be enough.

A small, quiet site handy for Liverpool.  It's a basic field with facilities in a useful place, rather than a destination itself.

Soft, gently sloping ground.  Surprisingly un-muddy given the day's constant rain.
Clean toilets and shower, though the loo roll supply ran perilously low first thing in the morning.
Unexpectedly the shower required 20ps or old pound coins (of which the owners have a supply) which is a problem if you arrive late - fortunately I found another camper with a large bag of change.
Many (enclosed) chickens, didn't find out if any had a name.  :)
Electric hook-ups, but no obvious charging facilities.  I expect they'd oblige if you asked nicely.

I stayed there the night of some sort of sportsball event, so there were many empty tents, and a sound of revelling from a pub in the distance.  A vehicle returned at around midnight, but the owners were quiet.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7 on: 11 September, 2019, 09:56:10 am »
Rectory Farm, Ashleworth, Glos.

http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=379952&Y=226524&A=Y&Z=120

A small field behind an old timbered farmhouse. Surrounding fields contain sheep, a few pigs (not smelly) and chickens (probably not named). Pitches with electric hook up nearest the farmhouse, tents a little further down. Some fruit trees with protective wooden railings, very handy for leaning a bike against. The shower block has only one shower, one toilet and one washing up point, but given the size of the site that's probably okay. It was all clean and the shower was hot and had enough space to hang clothes up etc. There is also a fridge, freezer and microwave in a barn. In another corner is a large trampoline. The farmer charges just £6 for cyclists etc.

Food available at the PO/small shop in the village about a mile and a half away, at the rather nice pub by the river a mile or so beyond that, and apparently also a Londis in the fuel station at the junction with the main road in the opposite direction. All those miles are dead flat, by the way.

Edit: Turns out this is a site to be used by the Fell Club next weekend! http://www.fellclub.org.uk/fellclubmeets.html What this says about the site I do not know... if anything... but they do also refer to "YACF Forum A very active forum covering most aspects of cycling with a wide range of other topics and discussions."
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #8 on: 11 September, 2019, 10:06:58 am »
Mayfield Park, Perrot's Brook, nr Cirencester

http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=401930&Y=205720&A=Y&Z=120

A large site on a steep slope with a fairly large number of statics and 'park homes' at the bottom, then caravans and RVs, with tent pitches at the top. Despite the slope, each individual pitch is levelled. The site is kept clean and tidy by a very friendly, hardworking warden couple. Showers are clean and spacious. I found the water only warm but the woman on the pitch next to me said it was too hot – there seems to be a plumbing balance problem. Radio 2 is piped into the shower block...

Football pitch for kids in one top corner, but July (or was she Judy?) the warden said thank goodness the kids have gone cos it's not really set up for them! Virtually no phone signal on entire site.

Despite the clean showers etc I probably wouldn't stay here again due to the constant noise of the A417 Cirencester-Cheltenham road (an 'almost motorway'). It didn't stop me sleeping but it's not pleasant.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #9 on: 07 October, 2019, 02:00:21 pm »
Twitey's Tipis
Lowe Farm near Wellesbourne, Warwickshire CV35 9EX

Camping meadow with mown pitches that will fit several small tents, each including a well-built fire pit. 
Just to comment on Kim's review, for me this was the second best feature of the site (the first being the total separation of car park and camping). The pitches were not in lines but in little areas, meaning that as a group, we had more of a group together around the campfire type feel, while at the same time allowing the actual fire to be at a greater distance from tents (ours and more particularly other people's). At the same time, I expect it would give more privacy to the solo camper by giving them their own little area rather than a square pitch.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 07 October, 2019, 02:13:24 pm »
Conkers C&CC site

Disappointing:  No evidence of actual conkers.

« Reply #11 on: 29 October, 2019, 03:42:55 pm »
https://glastonburycottagesandcaravanning.co.uk/

Small site with just a few pitches for camping, 5 for camper/caravans and a few small cottages.
Nice level pitches, but not suitable for large family tents.  Rather wet this time of year though.
Near to an A road - but slightly up-slope so the noise wasn't as bad as I expected.
Decent loos/showers and free site wifi.  No other facilities on site.
Friendly and helpful host (Edd).

Ideal access for a stroll up Glastonbury Tor (20 minute walk up from the campsite) and for a quick bike ride into town.
A few small improvements would tweak the site from being good to very good, but nothing to stop be going back there.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 29 October, 2019, 05:18:23 pm »
The Confiers - Gravesend DA13 9HR

Another C&CC Certified Site (so club membership required) in a useful location, particularly for the Gravesend Cyclopark.  A small, pleasant patch behind some tatty farm buildings, with a decent wash-block (marred by taps that only stay on while you're holding the button, which gets really annoying after a while), and not a lot else.  The sort of ground that makes a mallet seem like a good idea.  Electric hook-ups, which are useful if you need to power a laptop to wrangle the day's race results.

Again, the postcode isn't enough.  Use the OS grid reference.

« Reply #13 on: 17 November, 2020, 05:16:26 pm »
http://www.kettlewellcamping.co.uk/

Nicer loos and facilities than many hotels I have stayed in.

We rocked up with a DofE group who had been out in the rain all day, and they were super nice.  So much so we had to make sure the assessor didn't find out.  :-)

Not very big, but _very_ well maintained.
Just someone's butler

« Reply #14 on: 17 November, 2020, 07:39:30 pm »

We rocked up with a DofE group who had been out in the rain all day, and they were super nice.  So much so we had to make sure the assessor didn't find out.  :-)

That looks really lovely. We might have to plan a trip.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #15 on: 18 November, 2020, 06:26:34 am »

You might want to take this review down as:

(a) you should not have been taking a DofE group out anywhere;
(b) the campsite should not have been open.

Both activities are currently banned in lockdown under the Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) (No. 4) Regulations 2020. 
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Chris N

« Reply #16 on: 18 November, 2020, 06:35:10 am »
Wow! You can work out from the information that darkpoint provided what date they visited the campsite? That’s amazing.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #17 on: 18 November, 2020, 06:55:43 am »
Wow! You can work out from the information that darkpoint provided what date they visited the campsite? That’s amazing.

It reads as if it happened recently.  If that’s not the case, then he may wish to amend it to make that clear. 
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Chris N

« Reply #18 on: 18 November, 2020, 07:18:05 am »
No it doesn’t. Don’t jump to conclusions.

« Reply #19 on: 18 November, 2020, 08:16:21 am »
The website clearly says it closes on October the 31st...

Anyway, I was going to add that the one up the road in Buckden was a decent spot when I stayed there. Handy for the very local shop with the slightly grumpy owner, too.

« Reply #20 on: 05 May, 2021, 10:01:37 am »
Norden Farm, Corfe Castle, Dorset  visiting in 2020 and again over May day weekend 2021.
https://nordenfarm.com/

Big site, split into several fields with decent facilities (showers, bogs, laundry room, wash-up facilities well stocked farm/camping shop).  Pitches are mostly pretty flat but not particularly big if you have a large family tent/awning like us.   Good walking into the Purbeck hills straight from the site and there's a good path straight into Corfe to visit the castle or across to the Norden station of the historic steam railway (tickets available to get you down into Swanage, but a bit pricey).  Working farm with animals to see for the kids.  Might get sleep disturbed by the peacocks!

Site is mostly used by caravans and motorhomes but also a few family size and smaller tent visitors.  Good family friendly site. 

Note, as at early May 2021 the loos / wash-up / laundry / shop are all open, but the showers are still shut due to COVID restrictions.

« Reply #21 on: 05 May, 2021, 11:17:26 am »
By far the nicest campsite I have ever stayed at was in Kettlewell http://www.kettlewellcamping.co.uk/
It is quite small, but facilities that rival some hotels.
Just someone's butler

« Reply #22 on: 08 June, 2021, 04:41:33 pm »
Beanhill Farm, Alvington - near Lydney, Glos
https://www.pitchup.com/campsites/England/Central/Gloucestershire/alvington/beanhill_farm/

Nice family run campsite and very well maintained.  Aimed really at campervans/motorhomes and larger tents rather than caravans.  The lane access is reasonably narrow but the family managed to get a couple of caravans up there.  Pricing is a bit steep for the single cycle tourist/small tent.  Showers are great, but you pay 50p (by token bought from reception) extra.  Facilities very clean.  Field is sloping, but we managed to find an acceptable plot for a 6 person tent, and there are more options for smaller units.  Nice walking direct from site - close to Gloucestershire Way and only a few miles from Offa's Dyke, Tintern Abbey etc.  I'd go there again but the owners mentioned it's their last season this year - suspect they're retiring.  Nice peaceful location, disturbed only by farm vehicles and the most raucous dawn chorus from the birds!

« Reply #23 on: 08 June, 2021, 09:39:39 pm »
This one is very nice: http://www.waysidecamping.co.uk
Never knowingly under caffeinated

« Reply #24 on: 22 August, 2022, 10:58:03 am »
Recommended: https://www.bryngloch.co.uk/

Located on the south western side of Yr Wyddfa it is a large campsite with good facilities.  Did not see many small tents so probably not the first choice for cycle tourists.  Lots of larger tents/caravans/motorhomes.

Location is great through for access to the Welsh Highland Railway, the Rhyd Ddu and Ranger paths up Snowdon and walks straight out of the site up Moel Eilio or Mynydd Mawr.  There is now a really good trail which links the Snowdon Ranger path across to Llanberis.  The southern end is steep but the rest of it has a great surface.

The site is located about 2.2 miles north of Llyn Cwellant (opposite Snowdon Ranger YHA) which is a great spot for a wild swim.  Access to water is approx 100m from the car park opposite the hostel.