Author Topic: Fixed TT wheels/rims  (Read 2007 times)

Fixed TT wheels/rims
« on: 23 June, 2008, 10:41:59 am »
What to get that would be a real advantage w/out breaking the bank? I looked at the P-X ones which I like but at £480 are a bit dear.

Low spoke count on aero rims, but which?

I am a solid 80+kg rider.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

Blah

• Not sure where I'm going
Re: Fixed TT wheels/rims
« Reply #1 on: 23 June, 2008, 10:56:33 am »
Ebay is your friend... I pondered the same question and went for second hand Hed 3's.

« Reply #2 on: 24 June, 2008, 01:34:02 pm »
Watch ebay for a Mavic Ellipse rear wheel. Deep rim and aero spokes. Clincher. Second hand track stuff is usually reasonable condition as it only gets used indoors.

For the front you want something like a Hed 3 as Blah said. If you wait until October-ish you can pick up these cheaper once the TT season comes to an end. Still not 'cheap' in thetraditional sense, although if you're willing to go clincher rather than tub you might get more of a bargain.

gonzo

« Reply #3 on: 26 June, 2008, 08:40:42 pm »
HED3s on ebay are as god as you'll get for the money from an aerodynamics standpoint. To be honest, they're damned good, but some 80mm high tech rims beat them.

Blah

« Reply #4 on: 27 June, 2008, 08:15:38 am »
HED3s on ebay are as god as you'll get for the money from an aerodynamics standpoint.

Unless you're lucky enough to find a misspelled pair of Zipps or whatever. Not likely...

gonzo

« Reply #5 on: 27 June, 2008, 08:44:10 am »
HED3s are debatabley as good as 808s. HED3s have been around without a great deal of change for a great many years so that's why you can find them cheap.

Blah

« Reply #6 on: 27 June, 2008, 09:57:36 am »
They may be as good, but they sure ain't as light!