Author Topic: Things moved on then...  (Read 6108 times)

Things moved on then...
« on: 12 May, 2019, 09:09:09 am »
Last time I bought a MTB it was easy, you basically chose between: DH, the emerging longer travel ‘enduro’ full sus bikes, short travel full sus, hard tail ...

Now I’ve got different wheels, 2x or 1x gears, a smorgasbord of travel length options, and lots of ‘modern’ or even ‘contemporary’ geometry that will revolutionise my life.  I’ve not got as far as dropper posts and how wide the tyres are now!

This is my thought process so far:
- I’m coming from an XC hardtail, so I know that I value light weigh and responsiveness.
- I don’t however want the racing geometry, am looking for some comfort.  Would also be nice to not get beaten up on the hard, dry trails, so front & rear squish is needed
- I will do single track, with some trail centre riding (red/black)

So something with:
- 120-140mm front and rear.
- 1x12 will be ok
- 29” wheels (eek)

So far the canyon Neuron has caught my eye.

Any thoughts?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Things moved on then...
« Reply #1 on: 12 May, 2019, 09:28:49 am »
Modern bars are massively wide and, as they're all riser bars, you can't cut them down as much.  Unless you actually ride DH, beware - my local trail through the woods is impossible with wide riser bars, since they won't fit between the trees!
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2 on: 25 June, 2019, 03:59:14 pm »
Got a new one, and wow it does indeed have massive bars (780mm wide  ::-) )

Ben T

« Reply #3 on: 25 June, 2019, 05:25:22 pm »
can you even reach the ends?  ;D

« Reply #4 on: 13 June, 2021, 08:44:17 am »
Got a new one, and wow it does indeed have massive bars (780mm wide  ::-) )

What did you get in the end? The Canyon Neuron certainly looks good if that's what you went for.

My current MTB is falling to pieces, so a new one is in order. I just can't make up my mind what I want - full sus or rowdy hardtail. My indecision isn't too much of a problem at the moment as pretty much everything is out of stock!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #5 on: 16 June, 2021, 09:41:28 am »
I had been looking to get the Neuron via the cycle to work scheme they use, but I couldn't get it to work out (my company imposed a cap of £1k at the time), so i looked elsewhere.

I ended up with a big, burly Cannondale Trigger with 150mm fox travel front & back (it had a stonking discount which was too good not to).  It's a beast, over-biked for most situations I ride in, but really good fun & insanely capable once the trail points downhill & gets rocky.  It's got 27.5" wheels which seems sensible given the travel...

Then, fast forward 2 years & my company have lifted the limit to cycle to work scheme, so I've just invested in a 29er hardtail too - it's  more efficient to ride, better for pootling around with the family & better for bike packing.  I did look at Canyon again, but they had no stock & I wanted it to be here for this summer  :thumbsup:

« Reply #6 on: 16 June, 2021, 11:41:02 am »
Awesome! I kinda want something really capable like your Trigger, but I wouldn't mind doing a bit of offroad bike packing too. I guess I have to decide what I want to do the most. I guess the answer might be to do what you've done and buy a full sus trail/enduro bike and then buy a new hardtail at a later date  :)
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!