Author Topic: Beardys running log - Ct5k  (Read 144329 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Re: Beardys running log - Ct5k
« Reply #1525 on: 21 April, 2021, 11:22:03 am »
Run done. Fsvo run in any case.

I really struggled to get my HR up today, even to the dizzy heights of 120, but i still did my 5k slightly faster than Monday.

Cool down, shower and breakfast to do. 
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #1526 on: 21 April, 2021, 01:59:44 pm »
Thanks for the encouraging words PB.  I got out and did my 10k.  Not fast or pretty but done.

« Reply #1527 on: 21 April, 2021, 08:04:21 pm »
My pleasure Chris.  Well done to both yourself and to Beardy.  🙂

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #1528 on: 21 April, 2021, 08:30:43 pm »
My WFH involves very early morning meetings sometimes, with clients in the Mid and Far East, and late meetings with cow-orkers in the US.
So some days can be quite long.
So I have no qualms about taking a 2 hour lunch break in the middle of that.

And so today, I had another go at Kerloch, a local 15k hill route.

This remains at the absolute limit of what my injured ankle will put up with, and the drive home was uncomfortable.
Hurtyness has now dropped back, and I'm now able to walk without limping.

A slow recovery.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5166079254

« Reply #1529 on: 22 April, 2021, 01:18:45 pm »
Didn't get out yesterday in the end as the shed clearing became more involved than expected.

But I did manage to get out for 6k before lunch today. Chilly warmup walk, bright and clear and sunny but a stong cold north easterly wind. Was fine once I got going though.

That's now my 49th 5k (if you don't count the ones that were within my few 10ks) since starting running this time last year.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #1530 on: 22 April, 2021, 02:13:46 pm »
Congratulations.  I must count mine up as well.  I am hoping to get out this evening.

« Reply #1531 on: 23 April, 2021, 08:19:54 am »
Another great start to the day.  Really enjoyed the cool air and the long shadows of dawn as they crept across the landscape.   Porridge and coffee consumed: time to start the process of baking sourdough loaves.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #1532 on: 23 April, 2021, 08:22:23 am »
Just bleedn’n knackered this morning. Not the best nights sleep and feeling a lot fat. Should I just accept that it’s not going to happen today, or see how it goes? Part of me says just throw the towel in, but the belligerent part says see how it goes. It is a lovely morning out there.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #1533 on: 23 April, 2021, 08:27:13 am »
Another great start to the day.  Really enjoyed the cool air and the long shadows of dawn as they crept across the landscape.   Porridge and coffee consumed: time to start the process of baking sourdough loaves.
You know, it occurs to me in starting this thread I’ve created monsters. Monsters who, through no malice on their part, show me up with regular exuberance and tales of dearing do.

Well done PB, it sounds wonderful and might, might I say, help in my own quest to enjoy the great outdoors this morning.

« Reply #1534 on: 23 April, 2021, 08:33:22 am »
 You have rather let the genie out of the bottle.  😉

« Reply #1535 on: 23 April, 2021, 10:22:17 am »
What about going for a nice walk instead? Some fresh air and sunlight. And if, after walking a while, you feel like speeding up a bit then you can. And if not you've still had had a nice walk.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #1536 on: 24 April, 2021, 11:35:45 am »
Just comparing my stats from 12 months ago to now. 

12 months ago 6k was my long run.  At present I am running a 12k regularly but have in the past few months stretched to 15k and I have a 20 week plan to very steadily stretch to 2 hours for my long run on alternate weeks.

My pace over 6k is fairly similar which was a surprise.  Where the real differences are though is in hr:  I am about 25bpm lower now for both average and max hr and my current running is on roads and paths with hills (ok, not huge ones) whereas this time last year I was lapping my safe, flat local rec. 

I am only a couple of kgs lighter which I find a tad depressing but again, my clothes fitting is massively different from 12 months ago.  I have lost 2 inches around the waist and all of my clothes are now visibly looser on me.  My youngest son immediately commented on how much weight I have lost since I last saw him six months ago when in fact, I haven't.  So, shape has changed and muscle has replaced fat.

I am glad that I decided to do a "then and now" comparison and slightly relieved that it is definitely positive.

From March I have upped my running with a plan from 3 per week to 4 per week and my monthly mileage has upped by 50%.  It will be interesting to hee if I can make further positive progress at the end of my plan to get to 2 hours continuous.

So, how are others shaping up?

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #1537 on: 24 April, 2021, 05:57:27 pm »
Still working on building up strength in my knackered ankle.
That's my main limiting factor right now, after about 15k it's just had enough.

Did my first attempt at a local hill called Morven today.
I've never run it before, but I've been up there on touring skis a few months back.

Although it's only 8k, the direct ascent can only be described as brutal: gaining nearly 700m in about 3.5k it's at the absolute limit of what's actually runnable for me. The descent, although less steep, is extremely technical for much of it's length, being little more than a rocky hare-track in deep heather. Care required.

Tomorrow's club ride will be a bit of an ask!

https://www.strava.com/activities/5183734826

« Reply #1538 on: 24 April, 2021, 08:28:02 pm »
I am still running but life and the black dog have taken their toll.  Starting this week I am aiming to get back to 4 runs a week and a couple of rides.  This will do my mood a lot of good and will get me back into the swing of running.  I have struggled to get the fluidity back after being off with my achilles which has been disappointing.

« Reply #1539 on: 25 April, 2021, 09:57:09 am »
Sundays are supposed to be long run days, in my case, long being 10k.
Yesterday we had an al fresco lunch with some friends in the village. This involved too much food and a lot of wine.
The run is just not going to happen.

And that means I am going to miss my very first Strava challenge, which was to run 100km in April. I don't take that sort of thing very seriously, but it's still a little irritating. Oh well.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #1540 on: 25 April, 2021, 11:19:13 am »
I do Garmin challenges which are similar to strava challenges I guess.   I need to go for a 5k walk today to hit one (5k walk any time this weekend!!!) But more seriously, I am on a 10k steps  every day in April.  Today and Tuesday are my last remaining risk days as they are not run days. 

I have to go hunter gathering for dark chocolate later for sprinkling on top of the banoffee pie that I am making so I will ensure that I hit my step count and distance requirements via an extended route to the comestibles House. 

« Reply #1541 on: 26 April, 2021, 08:30:55 am »
Bah!

Having completed my April challenges I was supposed to rise early this morning for a dawn 12k.  The ToJ duly disturbed my sleep and I duly pressed the button and then fell straight back to sleep.  Oh well: the body know best I guess.  Perhaps I can blame my lovely banoffee pie ...  😋

The world has not ended.  I will reset for tomorrow.   My new task today is to recce (walking) some potentially new roads to increase my variety and pick up some victuals from a Coop en route. 

« Reply #1542 on: 26 April, 2021, 10:54:27 am »
Has anyone on this thread attempted the Dr Philip Maffetone method of very low intensity? He recommends 180 minus your age. For me that’s 120 beats per minute. My resting is 50 bpm and maximum is 178 so 120 seems incredibly easy. That said, I completed a few five mile runs and at a10 m/m pace there was no aching or other from my legs

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #1543 on: 26 April, 2021, 11:13:22 am »
Another 5k in the bag. The overall glow of well-being and smug is just lovely, and I even get approval from Sarah for getting on with it. There’s nothing like having done something to motivate you to do it again. Roll on Wednesday  :)

A well overdue change of focus has highlighted that I’ve been ‘coasting’ for a while now, but, over the last three runs I’ve seen a small incremental improvement in my pace.

I have until now been concentrating on being able to ‘run’ a set distance and have always seen a visit from uncle Jeff as a failure. This has meant that I have been pacing myself so that I achieved Jeff free runs rather than improving my cardiovascular system. I’ve now started to focus on HR which has shown up that my limiting factor is my breathing. So I’m embracing Jeff nd pushing myself to actually run rather than jog until I have to slow to catch my breath.

I think I’m going to be reading a bit of actual SCIENCE and setting myself zones and alerts on my ToJ next! And I might invest in a search for my old chest strap or even a shiny new one. Just don’t tell Sarah.

« Reply #1544 on: 26 April, 2021, 11:58:30 am »
First run in months for me - 6km out and around local park on the mud and grass paths; In winter it's a bog, which I like: I tend to have the place to myself then. Lovely and cool.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #1545 on: 26 April, 2021, 12:15:01 pm »
A new member has entered the building.

Welcome trundle. There’s only one rule to participation in this thread, don’t show me up with tales of your running adventures. Of course you will be the first contributor to this thread to follow this guidance should you chose to do so, and besides, my reporting of my own running exploits is more than enough to show me up. Carry on then. ;D

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1546 on: 26 April, 2021, 01:49:39 pm »
Just been for my first run in, I think, two weeks, and two odd things happened: 1) I must have been inculcated into some sort of secret runners club, because another runner nodded and waved at me (cue five pages on the etiquette of waving at other runners  ;)) 2) I almost tripped over someone! He was dozing right at edge of one of the little hollows (old lead workings apparently) on the Downs. I was intending to run into the hollow and up the other side, he wasn't visible till I was about two feet away!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #1547 on: 26 April, 2021, 03:02:57 pm »
Has anyone on this thread attempted the Dr Philip Maffetone method of very low intensity? He recommends 180 minus your age. For me that’s 120 beats per minute. My resting is 50 bpm and maximum is 178 so 120 seems incredibly easy. That said, I completed a few five mile runs and at a10 m/m pace there was no aching or other from my legs
There has been some discussion on this in either this thread or another one in the Health & Fitness sub forum. Worth doing a bit of a search? I think Chris Bainbridge was giving it a go.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #1548 on: 26 April, 2021, 03:15:11 pm »
I have done it on the bike for about 4 years and running since the summer. I really like it. It is recommended to do it without exception for about 3 months and the. Start adding in intensity to get to about 80% at MAF HR and the rest high intensity speed and hill work.

« Reply #1549 on: 26 April, 2021, 04:41:59 pm »
A new member has entered the building.

Welcome trundle. There’s only one rule to participation in this thread, don’t show me up with tales of your running adventures. Of course you will be the first contributor to this thread to follow this guidance should you chose to do so, and besides, my reporting of my own running exploits is more than enough to show me up. Carry on then. ;D

Ha ha - thank you Beardy.

You are quite safe - I am rubbish at running, and even when I did a lot of it, never found it easy or became fast!

However, I do love trail running. Or I should say, being on a trail and mostly running along it... ish.