Author Topic: Vuelta 2020  (Read 9753 times)

Vuelta 2020
« on: 20 October, 2020, 08:28:27 pm »
Kicked off today with a pretty explosive start.
 Froome loses 11 mins as Roglic wins

Re: Vuelta 2020
« Reply #1 on: 20 October, 2020, 08:32:51 pm »

guidon

• formerly known as cyclone
« Reply #2 on: 20 October, 2020, 10:14:55 pm »
Still got it James...... :thumbsup:

« Reply #3 on: 20 October, 2020, 10:21:08 pm »
Hello Jan  ;D

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4 on: 20 October, 2020, 11:02:48 pm »
OK, ITV, where the actual fsck have you hidden the highlights show on your so-called “hub”?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #5 on: 21 October, 2020, 12:02:29 am »
Haven't found the highlights yet - was busy watching the Giro and building a new 'office' (yes, it'll be a place to watch cycling...!). My son informed me that Froome had exceeded expectations with an 11-minute deficit at the end of the stage. Oh dear. It would appear that, as in pretty much all the other significant races that have actually occurred this autumn, the younger generation have got this, and learned a lot while Zwifting in the fallow months. Meanwhile, the oldies who poo-poohed the modernist movement toward online training during the lockdown seem to have caught a bit of a cold.

« Reply #6 on: 21 October, 2020, 09:22:13 am »
1. This is a very non-standard Vuelta in that they have not started with a controversial Team Time Trial off the side of a warship, down a glass ramp and across a BMX park, with Teams complaining of the dangers until the organisers decide that it will only count for the team classification.  I mean, there are traditions to uphold!
2. Love how the BBC article about the first stage and Froome losing 11 mins links to an article about Froome being Sky Ineos' chance of redemption for the season.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #7 on: 21 October, 2020, 11:15:41 am »
Haven't found the highlights yet - was busy watching the Giro and building a new 'office' (yes, it'll be a place to watch cycling...!). My son informed me that Froome had exceeded expectations with an 11-minute deficit at the end of the stage. Oh dear. It would appear that, as in pretty much all the other significant races that have actually occurred this autumn, the younger generation have got this, and learned a lot while Zwifting in the fallow months. Meanwhile, the oldies who poo-poohed the modernist movement toward online training during the lockdown seem to have caught a bit of a cold.
I think that's kinda harsh on Froome who is coming off a massive injury at the tail end of his career. Also, Roglic is 30, so hardly counts as a youngster.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #8 on: 21 October, 2020, 11:25:54 am »
Still, the high-profile FAIL of Messrs Bernal, Thomas and Froome must be causing Ratcliffe a certain amount of pain and thus an equal but opposite amount of schadenfreude in everyone who thinks he's a [“disagreeable person” – Ed.].

« Reply #9 on: 21 October, 2020, 11:29:11 am »
Not to mention whoever signed the contract at Israel startup or whatever they’re called

TimC

« Reply #10 on: 21 October, 2020, 11:39:53 am »
I think that's kinda harsh on Froome who is coming off a massive injury at the tail end of his career. Also, Roglic is 30, so hardly counts as a youngster.

It was very much a tongue-in-cheek comment (and wine was involved)! I take no pleasure in Froome so obviously struggling, and I hope he manages to get some form back during this race. However, there was a significant body of opinion that he'd been hard done by when he was not selected for either the Tour or Giro squads, but it would appear that that decision was quite correct.

« Reply #11 on: 21 October, 2020, 01:20:34 pm »
Still, the high-profile FAIL of Messrs Bernal, Thomas and Froome must be causing Ratcliffe a certain amount of pain and thus an equal but opposite amount of schadenfreude in everyone who thinks he's a [“disagreeable person” – Ed.].
The Shadenfreude would be epic if it weren't for team Jumbo seamlessly stepping in to fill the Skineos boots (and high levels of cheating on teh Tour).  It's not just that Ratcliffe is a Knoot it's a pleasure to see any team that tries to spend themselves to victory fall on their face.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #13 on: 21 October, 2020, 08:12:35 pm »
(click to show/hide)

And how nice it is to have the dulcet tones of ***, Super D+ and TV's premier gag dispenser G Imlach instead of those prats from the Giro who make chirpy Manx idiot Tiny P Kennaugh look like the C Boardmen :demon:

+ Now sporting a Thought Leader-stylee short sharp haircut.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #14 on: 21 October, 2020, 09:40:54 pm »

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #15 on: 22 October, 2020, 09:29:48 pm »
No Tourmalet, boo!  :(
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #16 on: 22 October, 2020, 09:43:00 pm »
And indeed hiss  :(

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #17 on: 22 October, 2020, 09:46:05 pm »
(click to show/hide)

« Reply #18 on: 22 October, 2020, 10:39:56 pm »
This looks like Froome's  fuck you very much to Ineos for not picking him.   I cant believe Ineos would have wasted a space on the team giving it to someone whose form looked like he was going to lose half an hour in 3 stages. 

« Reply #19 on: 23 October, 2020, 06:40:04 am »
This looks like Froome's  fuck you very much to Ineos for not picking him.   I cant believe Ineos would have wasted a space on the team giving it to someone whose form looked like he was going to lose half an hour in 3 stages.
I think he should use the "I'm still injured from last year's crash" card to conveniently abandon
and get fitted for his new bike and kit, courtesy of he new employers.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #20 on: 25 October, 2020, 10:18:02 am »
The post-match punditry following the Rugby on ITV4 overran so They shortened the shitvert breaks during the Vuelta highlights so it finished on schedule.  Amazeballs!

TimC

« Reply #21 on: 25 October, 2020, 11:24:31 am »
Between 6-Nations Rugby, the Giro, the Portuguese GP qualifying and actually trying to get my new garden office somewhere beyond being just a Nice Idea, the Vuelta slipped off the agenda. Got some catching up to do!

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #22 on: 25 October, 2020, 11:34:37 am »
The Memory-Box is getting a hammering ATM even without the Rugby.  I'm actually going to have to watch tonight’s Vuelta highlights in real time because of recording clashes.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #23 on: 25 October, 2020, 09:12:57 pm »
The post-match punditry following the Rugby on ITV4 overran so They shortened the shitvert breaks during the Vuelta highlights so it finished on schedule.  Amazeballs!

I was wondering why my usual 2 skips and a bit more was suddenly not working.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #24 on: 28 October, 2020, 10:46:57 am »
Gotta love the forthcoming Vuelta TT.  ~32km pan flat, but with the last 2km up the MdE with av 15% & 30% max gradient in places.   ;D
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson