Author Topic: Who rides a fixed, with..  (Read 12127 times)

Re: Who rides a fixed, with..
« Reply #25 on: 02 November, 2009, 09:20:23 pm »
sounds like the job description for a pompino!

+1

Though in fixed only in my household. Nice and comfy and a bit sedate.

Mercian is indeed a nice place to go; they worked on a couple of my faster bikes, lovely they are!
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

seventytwo

« Reply #26 on: 02 November, 2009, 10:36:47 pm »
Kinesis Convert 2
http://www.kinesisdecade.co.uk/product.php?id=7

Flip-flop hub, 'swop-outs' and braze-ons so you can convert it to a geared bike later on, pannier rack mounts etc.

Though mine's in black  :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #27 on: 02 November, 2009, 10:54:55 pm »
Looked at a Fisher Triton at OYB today.  Rack mounts, but no 'guards (doesn't bother me - I prefer raceblades ;) )
Getting there...

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #28 on: 02 November, 2009, 11:43:39 pm »
 Don't forget on any of the rear facing dropouts a set of 'Secu' clips off a front set of guards make it easier to remove the wheel when used on the rear mudguard stays.
"Don't stop pedalling"

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #29 on: 02 November, 2009, 11:49:52 pm »

rack added since this photo

« Reply #30 on: 03 November, 2009, 10:04:57 pm »

« Reply #31 on: 04 November, 2009, 09:18:53 am »
Can't really go wrong with a Pomp for the money altho the Tricross Spesh is a nice bike and a Condor Tempo is v.v nice. I'd rather have deep-drop brakes rather than V's and if I was getting another Pomp I'd have a carbon fork

« Reply #32 on: 04 November, 2009, 10:52:15 am »
You could use any suitable road frame of your choice in conjunction with a White Industries ENO rear hub. Probably a bit cheaper to try and get an older one so you're not tied into White Industries proprietary sprockets.

« Reply #33 on: 04 November, 2009, 04:29:30 pm »
FWIW my vote is for a Tricross Single.
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

border-rider

« Reply #34 on: 04 November, 2009, 04:31:25 pm »
Crappy wheels though.

The Pomp is maybe not as sexy looking, but the equipment is generally pretty good.  It's the only budget off-the-shelf fixed bike that I'd not change the wheels on as soon as I could.

If you buy a Tricross, I'd do what Tuggo did and sell the wheels unused to fund some decent ones.

alan

« Reply #35 on: 04 November, 2009, 07:50:25 pm »
Kinesis Convert 2

I saw one in the flesh today in the Cycle Centre in Congleton.A nice looking bike.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #36 on: 04 November, 2009, 08:04:00 pm »
I've got a Specialized singlecross. It ticks all the boxes, and is a reasonably nice ride.

The rack & SQR bag look v. similar to how I how I have my pompino setup. Only I can't actually load & unload the SQR as the rack is in the way. Looks like you have the same issue.

What's the secret? (Do you have a larger picture?)

alan

« Reply #37 on: 04 November, 2009, 08:11:20 pm »
The Cotic Roadrat looks interesting.Anyone have experience of it?

Chris N

« Reply #38 on: 04 November, 2009, 09:24:41 pm »

Hell yeah.  It's great. :thumbsup:  You can have a go on that too when you come round, though it's not really set up for road riding.

seventytwo

« Reply #39 on: 04 November, 2009, 09:35:49 pm »
I saw one in the flesh today in the Cycle Centre in Congleton.A nice looking bike.

I thought so too, and so did a random employee at work, though as I approached the random stranger standing eyeing my bike I was a little concerned until he asked 'is this your fixie?'. 

Praise for bike is, I figure, comparable to praise of children. 

I wanted to pat the bike for doing a good job sitting around looking fast all day. 

« Reply #40 on: 04 November, 2009, 10:02:22 pm »

My comments about my Roadrat are on the first page, but like I say you'll need to get F+F only then do a custom build to get what you want. That's not to say it has to be pricey though, and it's always nice to have a one-off, eh?

I'm sure Chris'll put some slicks on his for a spin out. It was his 'rat that sold me on one.

alan

« Reply #41 on: 05 November, 2009, 05:38:24 am »
Thanks PaulD.Short attention span on my part :-[ It's an age thing ::-)

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #42 on: 05 November, 2009, 07:53:27 am »
+1 for pompino.  For the money, a fantastic bike.  Durable (I've prob done around 75k on it, and it's going strong).  My shopping list for features was pretty much what the OP was looking for.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #43 on: 05 November, 2009, 01:00:42 pm »

My comments about my Roadrat are on the first page, but like I say you'll need to get F+F only then do a custom build to get what you want. That's not to say it has to be pricey though, and it's always nice to have a one-off, eh?

I'm sure Chris'll put some slicks on his for a spin out. It was his 'rat that sold me on one.

'twas recommendations from here (or rather There, IYSWIM) that caused me to buy a Roadrat.  Depravo has a front disc brake, mudguards, rack, hub dynamo etc. etc. and the only problem with setting it all up is that the clearances are frikkin' huge when used on road tyres, so you may have to bodge the mudguard attachments a bit.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

alan

« Reply #44 on: 05 November, 2009, 03:27:49 pm »
I see that current colour choice on Pomps is sh7tty brown or sh8tty green :sick:
I want a blue one or a white one if I choose a Pomp

border-rider

« Reply #45 on: 05 November, 2009, 03:52:51 pm »
The green looks OK.  I agree about the brown  :sick:

The blue isn't my favourite shade either, but I've grown quite attached to it in the almost 6 years we've been together :)

There were some silver ones once, and some black ones.  Much nicer.

edit: I've just looked again.  The green's foul also, isn't it ?

They never were much good with colours - the Kaff went from a fairly nice deep blue to a shitty mud colour.