Author Topic: Sunrises and Sunsets  (Read 185355 times)

fuzzy

Re: Sunrises and Sunsets
« Reply #25 on: 18 August, 2008, 07:42:10 pm »
taken at the end of a protest day in Oxford. Hand held Nikon D10 on Shutter Priority through a 70-300 mm zoom. Broad Street looking East (I think)

PS. Elleigh- your photo looks great cos you are in it :-*

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #26 on: 18 August, 2008, 08:18:26 pm »
A couple of years ago at Totland Bay.

There's no vibrations, but wait.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #27 on: 19 August, 2008, 11:20:22 am »
taken at the end of a protest day in Oxford. Hand held Nikon D10 on Shutter Priority through a 70-300 mm zoom. Broad Street looking East (I think)

Errr... aren't you (always) looking West if you are looking at the palest part of a dusk sky?

Pete

« Reply #28 on: 19 August, 2008, 01:23:56 pm »
Nice pictures everyone.  I'll have to look and see if I've got any old ones but I don't think they're up to much...  Now I'm waiting to see if anyone's lucky enough to bag an elusive 'green flash'* but I'm not holding out!

Elleigh, your first piccy is very good of you, don't feel shy about being in your own picture, it's quite natural for people not to like pictures of themselves (well I, for one, don't!).  The second picture you posted is of course, not sunset but Aurora Borealis.  At least, I'd be rather perturbed if I saw the sunset due north (except in the high Arctic).  The aurora is something I've never seen - I'd love to have a chance one day....

Elleigh

« Reply #29 on: 19 August, 2008, 01:30:21 pm »

Elleigh, your first piccy is very good of you, don't feel shy about being in your own picture, it's quite natural for people not to like pictures of themselves (well I, for one, don't!).  The second picture you posted is of course, not sunset but Aurora Borealis.  At least, I'd be rather perturbed if I saw the sunset due north (except in the high Arctic).  The aurora is something I've never seen - I'd love to have a chance one day....

Apparently the Aurora Borealis picture was taken in Maple Ridge, British Columbia, Canada.  It is sad to think that something so beautiful can occur and so few of us will ever see it in person.  It has been a life long ambition of mine to see them and tried to talk my ex-fiance into taking me to Alaska on honeymoon.  I have every intention of seeing it one day.

« Reply #30 on: 19 August, 2008, 01:35:01 pm »
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Pete

« Reply #31 on: 19 August, 2008, 02:23:57 pm »
I have every intention of seeing it one day.
You and I are like-minded in this respect, it seems!  ;)  Very occasionally, in times of high solar activity, the aurora pays a visit to us folks in the UK, but I've never caught it (anyway weather in UK is so cr@p these days....).

The other thing on my mind is, of course, I'm still wondering whether I'll ever get a total eclipse in.  The number of opportunities open to me, in my remaining years, is dwindling fast ....  :'(  I passed up on the Turkey opportunity in 2006 (fully expecting it to be a wash-out; those who went had a splendid view).  I passed up on Russia/China earlier this month (ditto; ditto).  And of course 1999 was a total failure for us (as for many!  We pitched up in France and saw nothing).  Well, there's China next year.  Maybe....

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #32 on: 21 August, 2008, 12:43:35 pm »
Oh, I just found this on my laptop.  Sunset over a Tanzanian crater lake, north of Lake Malawi.

What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

fuzzy

« Reply #33 on: 21 August, 2008, 04:32:56 pm »

Errr... aren't you (always) looking West if you are looking at the palest part of a dusk sky?

Doh!

Just checked mapping and West is best ;)

I have absolutley NO sense of direction without refering to maps :-[

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #34 on: 21 August, 2008, 05:07:25 pm »
I have little sense of direction without a map either.
It's handy to know whether the sun (or vaguely the brightest patch of the sky) is a any time of day.
It's a trick I use when trying to work out when the various Google Earth images were captured. (Note gross discontinuity about 100 metres north of My Abode.)

neilcu

« Reply #35 on: 26 August, 2008, 03:25:28 pm »
Some more sunsets, all taken from my various travels of the last few years.

Bangkok, Feb 2007

Knysna Lagoon, South Africa, Feb 2008

Marsascala Bay, Malta, Nov 2005

Zell am See, Austria, Jun 2007

« Reply #36 on: 26 August, 2008, 05:02:37 pm »
Sunset over the Chesapeake Bay, from our recent camping trip

scottclark.photoshelter.com

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #37 on: 26 August, 2008, 06:03:15 pm »
Scott, that's lovely!
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #38 on: 26 August, 2008, 06:25:44 pm »
Thankyuhvurramuch.  :)

That's from Kiptopeke State Park, on the Virginia Peninsula. It's a pretty reliable place for nice sunsets.

This is from the same place in February:

Looking away from the sun, we saw:

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #39 on: 26 August, 2008, 07:12:59 pm »
Scott, that's lovely!

+1  that is a great shot, I quite like the second one as well.
"Don't stop pedalling"

« Reply #40 on: 26 August, 2008, 07:21:51 pm »
Thanks--all this reminds me that I should post some pictures from our latest trip.

border-rider

« Reply #41 on: 26 August, 2008, 07:56:55 pm »

A pretty poor quality photo (taken with an old phone) but in real-life it was astonishing

This is the dying sun on a February afternoon catching the plume of Didcot power station, some 20 miles away across the Berkshire Downs

Jezza

« Reply #42 on: 26 August, 2008, 09:23:36 pm »
Two sunsets on the Zambezi at Mana Pools.

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #43 on: 27 August, 2008, 08:04:36 pm »
One from Kintyre a few weeks ago -

« Reply #44 on: 27 August, 2008, 09:20:36 pm »
I'm very glad I started this thread - some really great shots have been added.  Many thanks to all who have contributed so far, and keep them coming!

Andrew

Dave

« Reply #45 on: 27 August, 2008, 09:26:49 pm »
This is from the same place in February:

That is jaw-droppingly gorgeous.

Don't suppose you've got a link to a version in 1280x1024 that I could download? I think I've just seen my new desktop wallpaper...

« Reply #46 on: 27 August, 2008, 09:39:16 pm »
That is jaw-droppingly gorgeous.

Why, thank you!

Don't suppose you've got a link to a version in 1280x1024 that I could download? I think I've just seen my new desktop wallpaper...

Here's a 1280x960 version that you're welcome to download...

« Reply #47 on: 27 August, 2008, 09:46:03 pm »
Dawn panorama, taken on the South Downs Way 22nd July 2008 around 5am.

Full size version (4316x784 pixels) here

Dave

« Reply #48 on: 27 August, 2008, 09:59:32 pm »
Here's a 1280x960 version that you're welcome to download...

Thank you.

« Reply #49 on: 27 August, 2008, 10:49:43 pm »
A very recent one.

I'm a paid up member of the sunset fanclub!
God's backstays (a square rig sailing reference). Beautiful.
Rust never sleeps