Author Topic: Bike roller options...  (Read 2888 times)

Re: Bike roller options...
« Reply #25 on: 20 March, 2020, 12:09:33 pm »
When I had a dumb trainer, I used bluetooth for my HRM and a cheap speed sensor, and connected them to my phone.
I was using Trainer Road, but I bet there's some free software out there that will allow you to record basic info like that. Strava gave up on recording sensor data, so that's no good however. In principle, if you had some sort of GPS headunit then you could probably tell it to ignore the GPS data and record your roller rides. I did that with my Lezyne one when experimenting on the rollers...

I now use a spare laptop work were throwing out, plus an ANT+ dongle (again with TR) - ANT+ seems better with my pedals.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #26 on: 20 March, 2020, 12:16:46 pm »
This woman has roller skills (also good taste in jerseys)! :thumbsup:

https://theviolinchannel.com/martha-gill-violinist-cyclist-rollers-practicing-violin-bicycle/
Her cycling skills are definitely in advance of her violin talents!
(Needless to say, I would have crashed within five seconds and as for the violin, you'd have been glad I'd smashed it)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #27 on: 20 March, 2020, 01:34:45 pm »
What sensing / recording kit do people use on a roller? 
ETA. De Sisti - looks like a good peice of kit that.
I have two Sufferfest videos and one by Chris Carmichael (Training for Power). Each is about an hour long.
I've also bookmarked a 20 and 30 minute session on youtube.

I should be using it a lot more (as I paid around £700 for it in 2009). However, it is robust and very easy
to ride on (easier than traditional rollers; in my opinion).

« Reply #28 on: 20 March, 2020, 06:53:15 pm »
I guess what you end up using is dependant on your preference as well as what you are trying to achieve.  IME you can achieve quite a lot with some  method of measuring pulse rate and little else, a stopwatch perhaps.  OTOH some folk don't feel happy unless they have measured every last watt, and like a machine to structure their training sessions for them.

cheers

« Reply #29 on: 20 March, 2020, 07:14:29 pm »
IME you can achieve quite a lot with some method of measuring pulse rate and little else,
I agree.

« Reply #30 on: 22 March, 2020, 12:32:16 pm »
Quoth LWaB: "It helps stability if the wheelbase of the bike is a bit longer than the wheelbase of the rollers."

Now then, I used to use rollers a lot, and am thinking of getting on them again, as a more engaging alternative to the turbo. A quick trial leads me to believe that I've a lot to re-learn - squirming all over the place.
I notice that the wheelbase of the bike is shorter than that of the rollers: ie the front wheel axle is just behind the rear edge of the front roller.
The frame of the rollers is adjustable for length in about 1cm increments. Can I just confirm that I should try shortening the frame so that the front axle is just ahead of the front edge if the roller, or perhaps directly above the centre of the roller?  Thanks.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #32 on: 22 March, 2020, 12:42:01 pm »
Just shorten the roller frame to about 1-2cm less than the bike’s wheelbase. It increases trail for more stability at speed without increasing wheel flop, which is a bad thing for low speed stability. Too short a roller wheelbase and the bike will tend to ‘rock’ back and forth as well.

Speed helps stability too. Have the confidence to wind up speed quickly when starting and put the brakes on when stopping. I find that a heavier front tyre/ wheel helps.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #33 on: 23 March, 2020, 04:48:00 pm »
I finally got around to dismantling the large, old, disused trampoline, so now have an outdoor roller arena at the end of the garden, with the compost bin for company.   Need to do something meaningful with HRM zones etc next.  Actually find it slightly easier to concentrate on 'thinking about something' on the roller, vs being out on the road...

IMG_roller_HDR by ao, on Flickr

Roller, of course, just folds in two and goes in the shed.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #34 on: 23 March, 2020, 05:50:58 pm »
Now that I have been advised to stay at home for 12 weeks, I will be using mine a lot more.