Author Topic: Recommend me some post-cycling stretches  (Read 2409 times)

Recommend me some post-cycling stretches
« on: 05 May, 2008, 10:26:30 pm »
Can anyone suggest a few quick stretches for the hamstrings, or any other useful post-cycling stretches? Stretching post exercise is something I habitually neglect.

I'd prefer something that:

• Is simple and quick enough for me to keep doing it
  • Can be done in limited floorspace
  • Needs no special equipment other than a yoga mat
  • Is safe for someone with a dodgy back

Some of these stretches are not good for those with lower back problems. However, I was shown one or two methods that isolate the hamstrings well without involving the back - any thoughts?

Cheers in advance.

mr endon

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Re: Recommend me some post-cycling stretches
« Reply #2 on: 05 May, 2008, 11:21:21 pm »
When Liz and I got home from the Severn Across on Sunday, we both had achey legs, so after a walk round the park Liz said she wanted to have a go on the swings in the playground.  So after we chucked the sulky teenagers off, we had twenty minutes of swinging and you know what?  It's just the ticket for stretching out those battered glutes, quads and hamstrings.  The only mistake we made was not bringing our own Diamond White with us.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #3 on: 05 May, 2008, 11:48:04 pm »
 ;D

That fails on requirements 2 and 3, but I know what you mean.

I usually do feel the need  to go for a walk for half an hour if I've spent any time on the bike - does really help to loosen you up.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #4 on: 06 May, 2008, 04:51:51 pm »

1) sit on the floor with one leg stretched out.  Touch your toes.  Hold the stretch for a count of 20.  Repeat for the other leg

2) face the wall with your feet approx 3 feet away from it.  Lean your forearms on the wall, bend one leg so it doesn't take much weight and stretch into the calf and heel of the other leg.  Hold for 20 seconds.  Repeat for other leg

3) stand upright near something ie table, chair, wall to aid balance.  Tuck one leg up behind your buttock, holding for a count of 20 with your hand.  Repeat for other leg

4) stand upright with feet shoulder width apart.  Make a half moon shape with one arm over your head.  With the other arm stretch down your leg towards the knees.  Hold for a count of 20.  Repeat the other way.

1) is for hamstrings
2) is for calves
3) is for knees
4) is for shoulders/neck/upper body

« Reply #5 on: 06 May, 2008, 09:31:37 pm »
I find this Pilates exercise - Scissors - to be excellent for stretching my hamstrings. You need to be quite flexible to do it, though.

http://www.videojug.com/film/pilates-scissors

« Reply #6 on: 06 May, 2008, 10:01:34 pm »
I also neglect stretching after cycling, odd because I used to be fairly fanatical about it when I was training in Ju Jitsu.

The Anderson book has loads of different stretches,try a few and see which work the best for you.

Cara Coolbaugh recommended a DVD "Yoga for Cyclists" http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h_/203-7694923-6024708?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=yoga+cyclists&x=0&y=0

I've not tried it and the review suggests some caution may be required!  ;D
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #7 on: 07 May, 2008, 02:04:54 pm »
Cheers all, will try Vorsprung's suggestions later, and check out the links. 

« Reply #8 on: 07 May, 2008, 02:28:15 pm »
Cyclists' stretch:-

Stand with knees slightly bent (they never quite straighten, do they).

Back slightly arched, leaning forward approx 5%.

Shoulders rounded.

Place hands on back of hips, raise head and exclaim "Ooooh!".