Linked Events

• Route Sheets: 27 July, 2011

Author Topic: Route Sheets  (Read 25223 times)

Chris S

Re: Route Sheets
« Reply #100 on: 03 August, 2011, 11:11:11 am »
I don't care what order the four 'quarters' are arranged, as long as they're numbered so that I can find the next quarter to follow.

Numbering is vital - but if you want to double side them, then the order of the panels is not so easy - they have to be alternate, and reversed so that panel 2 correctly falls under panel 1, panel 4 falls under panel 3 (and so on) when printed using the "two passes through the printer" method.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #101 on: 03 August, 2011, 11:13:05 am »
And then there's all the wasted paper, with double prints, upside down prints etc.
It is simpler than it looks.

Grandad

• Once upon a time
« Reply #102 on: 03 August, 2011, 12:57:46 pm »
Any desk top publishing programme will do the 4 boxes an A4 page/flow rext across bit and you can position each box individually.

Serif do one - watch out for their special offers when they bring out a newer version.

« Reply #103 on: 03 August, 2011, 01:17:47 pm »
I used to do the four boxes (quartered A4) style. Now I just do two columns, on the grounds that folding 1) on the long axis then 2) on the short axis gives you one complete column on two sides of A6, work and tumble.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #104 on: 03 August, 2011, 02:27:02 pm »
I used to do the four boxes (quartered A4) style. Now I just do two columns, on the grounds that folding 1) on the long axis then 2) on the short axis gives you one complete column on two sides of A6, work and tumble.
Right, I think I'm sold on this; partly as there is so rarely a 'natural break' in the instructions that would fit nicely at (e.g.) the end of Box 1. Thank you.

I hope this isn't distracting you from researching the optimum order for BIC pens in a shirt pocket.
I'm rather proud that after 8 pages of pedantic, anal nit-picking about routesheet format, it is MY modest contribution that has provoked Manotea's outrage  :smug:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #105 on: 03 August, 2011, 03:16:44 pm »
I would also leave relatively generous margins on the original A4 page, because ackshully slightly sub-A6 fits much easier into A6-ish placky bags.  So - print in 2 columns (or 4 blocks), fold into 4 then scissors-trim just a couple of mm off the long outside edge.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #106 on: 03 August, 2011, 04:29:13 pm »
I often fold or trim route sheets so they can fit in the top pocket of my jersey - very easy to pull them out.  Can usually keep the next route sheet instruction in the memory even after a few hundred km.  Leaves less clutter on the bars.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #107 on: 03 August, 2011, 05:52:36 pm »
Of course another method to help the entrant to overcome preferred formatting options is for the organiser to:

• send out the routes sheets in a Word or Excel format to allow the entrant to manipulate the layout
  • provide downloadable Word/Excel document from a webage (AUK's or their own site)

Of course the former only benefits entrants who use Paypal. Snailmail entrants would not benefit and would have to accept the intended format.
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

« Reply #108 on: 03 August, 2011, 06:11:47 pm »
Of course another method to help the entrant to overcome preferred formatting options is for the organiser to:

• send out the routes sheets in a Word or Excel format to allow the entrant to manipulate the layout
  • provide downloadable Word/Excel document from a webage (AUK's or their own site)

Of course the former only benefits entrants who use Paypal. Snailmail entrants would not benefit and would have to accept the intended format.

it would be better to send out the raw data and let the user decide what he wanted to format it with. A simple XML schema to define the document and anyone could write stylesheets for them to generate required formats. A UI could be provided to input the route data and facilitate the generation of the XML so organisers don't have to. It's all very doable. We don't want lock in to Word and Excel.

AndyH

« Reply #109 on: 03 August, 2011, 07:23:34 pm »
I agree with your last sentence, and understood the first one. The bit's in the middle may as well be swaheli AFAIAC, apart from

It's all very doable

Is it something that can be done as a template that entrants can use - i.e org sends out routesheet (text file ?) and entrant then pushes some buttons to make it look like he wants? That would be very cool.

« Reply #110 on: 03 August, 2011, 10:26:15 pm »
I agree with your last sentence, and understood the first one. The bit's in the middle may as well be swaheli AFAIAC, apart from

It's all very doable

Is it something that can be done as a template that entrants can use - i.e org sends out routesheet (text file ?) and entrant then pushes some buttons to make it look like he wants? That would be very cool.

IMO a website where the rider chooses his format for download would be better. So long as the data is in a standard format, many different templates could be written for different formats. The org could send out a file, you mean the rider would download it right? The the rider could apply a template, he'd need some software to do it which is why I think a website would be better. It's  a bit like GPSVisualizer, you provide a GPX it will transform it into something. In this case you provide a file containing the route instructions (or choose one from the site), you choose a format, the site transforms the route into the format.

Maybe I'll mock something up while PBP is on

« Reply #111 on: 03 August, 2011, 10:48:20 pm »
Make sure routesheet is printed (A4) singlesided; photocopy if necessary to make it so.

Cut A4 routesheet page into four quarters.

Laminate quarters (all together on one A4 'pocket' will work).

Cut out four laminated pieces of routesheet.

Use standard holepunch to put 2 holes in the top of each piece.

Remove unnecessary weight of routesheet holder.

Use 2 zipties through the holes and round the bars so the routesheet sits on your stem.

As you ride along, if you need to go onto the next sheet either flip over or rip off and stuff in pocket the top sheet.

And carry a cheap nail clipper with your tools to remove unwanted zip ties. This is getting like Viz Top Tips  ;)

Technology has advanced to the point where you can get reusable zip ties. We're heading towards the singularity, I tell ya...
"There are proven ways; play on the certain knowledge of their superiority, the mystique of secret covenant, the esprit of shared suffering"

Roy Rogers

« Reply #112 on: 12 August, 2011, 11:12:36 am »
[The guy knew it was about 3km so why couldn't he have said 3 km instead of being lazy/lying about it when it really was 3km? Things like this really get my back up & shows that Organisers/Controllers really don't care about seeing us riders ride without mishaps!

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #113 on: 12 August, 2011, 11:15:59 am »
....shows that Organisers/Controllers really don't care about seeing us riders ride without mishaps!

No, it doesn't.

border-rider

« Reply #114 on: 12 August, 2011, 11:23:11 am »
No, it doesn't.

<dons mod hat>
That's enough, by the way. Any further baseless grumping on this subject will be moderated into a fine tilth.
<doffs hat>

Billy Weir

« Reply #115 on: 12 August, 2011, 11:52:02 am »
Ri@T's meet with forum* police response?

*pronounced like firm

« Reply #116 on: 12 August, 2011, 11:52:33 am »

it would be better to send out the raw data and let the user decide what he wanted to format it with. A simple XML schema to define the document and anyone could write stylesheets for them to generate required formats. A UI could be provided to input the route data and facilitate the generation of the XML so organisers don't have to. It's all very doable. We don't want lock in to Word and Excel.
All very doable - but first, you need the UI, & then every every organiser has to learn how to use it. They're then locked into using a particular bit of software. Doing it without the UI is hopelessly impractical.

I don't see how the proposal to send out Word or Excel 'locks in' to them. They're the most commonly used formats, & can be read by other software (e.g. OpenOffice). Given their preponderance, the likelihood of that changing in the foreseeable future is approximately nil.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #117 on: 12 August, 2011, 12:39:26 pm »
Ri@T's meet with forum* police response?

*pronounced like firm
I think you're struggling with that one. But even if noone else finds it amusing, I think it will make an excellent crossword clue.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles