Author Topic: 'dale Hooligan?  (Read 3081 times)

'dale Hooligan?
« on: 13 May, 2010, 12:20:50 pm »
I've got to decide before the end of the day whether to get a new (and completely unnecessary) bike on our ride2work scheme.  If I do, it is going to be the 3-speed cannondale hooligan.

Potentially deeply embarrassing, aesthetically wrong but delightfully fun.  Am I having a mid-life crisis?

Any musings you'd like to share with me will be read with interest after lunch.

Re: 'dale Hooligan?
« Reply #1 on: 13 May, 2010, 12:25:52 pm »
 ;D

« Reply #2 on: 13 May, 2010, 12:27:23 pm »
Feck austerity!  :thumbsup:

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #3 on: 13 May, 2010, 12:28:07 pm »
I've got to decide before the end of the day whether to get a new (and completely unnecessary) bike on our ride2work scheme.  If I do, it is going to be the 3-speed cannondale hooligan.

Potentially deeply embarrassing, aesthetically wrong but delightfully fun.  Am I having a mid-life crisis?

Any musings you'd like to share with me will be read with interest after lunch.

Looks like a lot of fun, and yes you are having a mid-life crisis :D

On the plus side it's described as a Hybrid so will look acceptably sensible for ride2work :)

Zoidburg

« Reply #4 on: 13 May, 2010, 12:29:13 pm »
Pedaldog has one he may be interested in selling IIRC.

« Reply #5 on: 13 May, 2010, 12:44:55 pm »
Feck austerity!  :thumbsup:

Quite right!  ;D

I've spent so much of my life scrimping and saving and going without life's little luxuries.  I'm in the happy position of being employed.  If I wait much longer, I may either be unemployed or too frail to enjoy riding this sort of machine.

« Reply #6 on: 13 May, 2010, 02:24:46 pm »
I have 6 months before I can make another application. I don't need any new bikes, which has helped narrow it down to (in current order of obsession)...

1. Ice B1 SWB 'bent
2. Van Nicholas Yukon
3. Singular Cycles Gryphon
4. Pace RC104
5. Ellis Briggs Randonneur

Looking at your choice, it does looks suitably unnecessary, but spending any less than the full £1000 is a failure of imagination.

« Reply #7 on: 13 May, 2010, 02:31:44 pm »
but spending any less than the full £1000 is a failure of imagination.

You can spend quite a bit more than that if you try!
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #8 on: 13 May, 2010, 03:00:10 pm »
Add a saddlebag (they'll go on there easily), Cane Creek barends and aero bars, then do an audax on it. I reckon it'll be a hoot.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #9 on: 13 May, 2010, 03:37:39 pm »
Add a saddlebag (they'll go on there easily), Cane Creek barends and aero bars, then do an audax on it. I reckon it'll be a hoot.

Well, I'd already reckoned on putting a carradice on the back and fitting bar ends.

Evans (for we are wedded to them) tell me that it'll take 7-10 days for them to order one in for me.

I guess if the hardiery folk of YACF can audax on one gear, a three speed hub gear may be fine for longer rides for me.

« Reply #10 on: 13 May, 2010, 03:41:08 pm »
There is also an 8 speed (hub) and dérailleur version.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #11 on: 13 May, 2010, 03:56:42 pm »
Yes, I did wonder about that one but it's not listed by Evans. 
(Also I quite like the solo "fork" on the 3 speed as well as the possibility, when I get bored of gears, of using the EBB to convert it to fixed. The one I tried out at the cycle show was a single speed version.)

fuzzy

« Reply #12 on: 13 May, 2010, 05:14:44 pm »
Shame on you PaulR.

You come on here and ask questions about a purchas eyou deem unecessary?

Just get on with it you wuss ;D

« Reply #13 on: 13 May, 2010, 05:28:34 pm »
The deed is done.  Well, I've opted for enough voucherage to cover the clown bike, a suitable lock and some bar ends.

If I don't post here in the next few days, can someone please pop round and check whether my corpse is under the patio?

« Reply #14 on: 13 May, 2010, 07:22:50 pm »
.... please pop round and check whether my corpse is under the patio?

If it is, can I have look after Teh Hooligan?  :D

« Reply #15 on: 13 May, 2010, 08:16:59 pm »
That does look cool.  I can't think of a reason, but I want one anyway..

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #16 on: 14 May, 2010, 06:38:53 am »
Mdi life crisis? Most definitely....'urban jungle' indeed.   :)

Enjoy.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: 14 May, 2010, 08:49:59 am »
It's a grownup BMX innit?  Loverly!

Plz to post lots of pictures  :D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #18 on: 27 May, 2010, 11:47:56 am »
You posted elsewherewise that this isn't happening any more.  So as not to take that thread OT, would you like to elucidate?
Getting there...

« Reply #19 on: 27 May, 2010, 12:01:34 pm »
You posted elsewherewise that this isn't happening any more.  So as not to take that thread OT, would you like to elucidate?

Yep, it seems that the supply chain between Cannondale and Evans is the wrong shape for Hooligans to get through.  I requested my Ride2Work voucher once I'd been told by Evans that a consignment of Hooligans was expected on these shores in a matter of days.  I was not able to place a firm order for one at that stage, I was told, but could order one once they had landed.  When I followed this up with Evans I was then told that there was only one Hooligan after all, and that one had been ordered by someone else.  They didn't know whether or, if so, when the next ones might be available but suggested i shouldcheck the stock status on the website.  The next time I checked the website, it said "this product is no longer available". 

harrumph >:(

I may give it one more try - I had a chat with one of the staff in the new Mortimer Street branch the other day who knew the Hooligan and said it was a brilliant bike, and it's just possible that his enthusiasm could be put to good use. 

If anyone reading this knows whether Evans have ever been persuaded to source bikes from odd places, do let me know.  I'm now lumbered with monthly deductions from my pay but struggling to find an alternative bike to spend my voucher. Almost all the bikes I've looked at lately are just a bit too close in functionality to what I've already got, unless I pursue the folder option. 

My daughter confirmed to me last night that if I get a folder I will have to find somewhere else to live.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #20 on: 27 May, 2010, 12:03:27 pm »
:( That's bad news.  Hope you do get sorted.  I want to have a play on it, too ;D
Getting there...

fuzzy

« Reply #21 on: 27 May, 2010, 12:03:58 pm »
Paul,

Is your voucher only redeemable through Evans?

« Reply #22 on: 27 May, 2010, 12:22:16 pm »
Yep, evans only.  So in a way I'm scuppered, as they have no incentive to be helpful, knowing that I have a big voucher that can only be spent there unless I fancy throwing it all away in protest.

fuzzy

« Reply #23 on: 27 May, 2010, 12:45:55 pm »
I think they owe you. You got the voucher based on the information that they would have the Hooligan in stock. They have let you down. They need to get their areses in gear and sort it for you.

« Reply #24 on: 27 May, 2010, 12:49:16 pm »
Well, I'm going to do some more gentle pestering but from what I've heard there's very little chance of the Hooligan materialising.