Author Topic: What am-I-going-to-like-cycling bike? (Winchester/Southampton intel appreciated)  (Read 8121 times)

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
Hi Nikki. I've written a webpage for people just like your friend who are considering which type of bike to buy. If she's still pondering that question, she might find it useful.

www.cyclingfortransport.com/bike/types-of-bike

Thanks fruitcake.

She's very close to buying a Specialized hybrid. I think we find out next weekend... *holds breath*

A purchase has been made and a message was received today that contained the following phrases:

"didn't fall off in any major fashion"
"beautiful scenery"
"lovely weather"
"gravel and glorious squelchy mud"
"abrupt stops at gates"
"various undulations"
"sore derriere"
"lots and lots of fun"
"hot coffee and a croissant"

So I think that's going to work out okay, then  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Brill! What did she buy in the end?

It was a lovely day to be out today, felt almost like spring :).
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Something like this, if not this actual one I think:

http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/bikes/womens-multi-use/ariel/ariel-step-through#specs

Scope for racks and that, although I think it'll mostly get used for gravel and glorious squelchy mud for the foreseeable.

Nice. I rather like the Spesh hybrids. They seem sensible and pretty well thought out. And they don't have stupid names. (Giant Avail, I'm looking at you >:( )

Not sure how long it'll stay white for  ;D

We did have a bit of giggle at some of the ridiculous names the MAN BIKES had been anointed with. Marauder and such like.  ::-)

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
Yep. Men's bikes have ridiculously macho names. It's as though someone is taking the mick.

The MAN Giant is the Defy ::-)

You should look at the children's bike names. Flower, Glitter,Glitz, Butterfly and Rage, Havoc, Stun and Venom  :facepalm:

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
This is news? There are several companies with similiarly differentiated bike names (and colour schemes) for decades, particularly for kids' bikes. Specialized have the Roubaix and the Ruby.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Good news. May your friend be much happified.  :)

Oh, and: Mud, mud, glorious mud!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Forked: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=88139.msg1810649#msg1810649

Good news. May your friend be much happified.  :)

I'm not sure how she feels today (slightly tender, I imagine), however it's still making me smile when I think about it!

Looks like a very sensible bike, except for the colour - & that only because it'll show the dirt.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

i do love my specialized hybrid (I went for the Vita Sport) and it's taken me three years of decent mileage to justify 'upgrading' to a road bike. even now I'm to continue commuting on the spesh (known as Vera!) and keep the Ribble for longer riding.

http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/bikes/womens-multi-use/ariel/ariel-step-through#specs

Scope for racks and that, although I think it'll mostly get used for gravel and glorious squelchy mud for the foreseeable.

The spec says women's double butted tubes  ???  What's the difference?

(click to show/hide)

dah-dah-daaaah!

"The Ribble" == your new proper road bike?
Did you get your sizing and stuff all sorted in the end?

Anyway, yes, hoping the Specialized works well for her and, well, a mucky bike's at least a sign that it's getting used, right? :)

I had the mens equivalent of that but with the hydraulic disc brakes. Until it got stolen that is. Cracking bike and was great loaded with heavy commuting panniers. It took a child seat off the seat tube well and a child trailer fully loaded with kid and kit from the rear axle too. Cracking bike for a lot of terrain. Reckon that'll last her until she upgrades to a full MTB for weekend and a road bike commuter for other stuff. If she's loving the gravel and mud that is. One bike is never good enough for off road and commuting once you get hooked I think.

dah-dah-daaaah!

"The Ribble" == your new proper road bike?
Did you get your sizing and stuff all sorted in the end?

indeed, the ribble is the new proper road bike! I went for the Sportive Racing special edition in the end - with an 11-32 cassette on it because I'm a girl when it comes to hills. I went for the 50cm frame which was the middle of the 3 frame sizes which would have been anywhere near.

I've done a couple of long turbo sessions on it whilst I was getting the seat height, saddle position etc sorted out, and I did 32 miles with the Pickering LBS social ride on Sunday (including Blakey Ridge and a few other little hills). As yet I'm undecided whether to put a shorter stem on and whether or not the saddle it came with is the right one for me but it's an incredibly responsive easy bike to ride, I'm soo so pleased!

Sorry; late response but  ;D and  :thumbsup: